News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Gown and tam for graduation

Started by AJ_Katz, June 12, 2019, 11:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

summers_off

Attendance at graduation in regalia is required at my uni (it is even in my employment contract).  However, the university rents the caps & gowns for us (in generic black).  Then when you earn tenure, it buys you your official regalia, in your Ph.D. school's colors.

Juvenal

But who, really, looks with a critical eye?  The audience checking with a score card to see if what you have on is truly authentic to the uni/discipline?  No one (but you?) cares.  Any regalia should do.  Unless you care.  That can count for something.  Enough?
Cranky septuagenarian

copykat

Quote from: summers_off on July 21, 2019, 02:13:50 PM
Attendance at graduation in regalia is required at my uni (it is even in my employment contract).  However, the university rents the caps & gowns for us (in generic black).  Then when you earn tenure, it buys you your official regalia, in your Ph.D. school's colors.

What a nice tenure gift!

Every year I wear one of my department's loaners and I feel self-conscious because it's either the wrong degree (one year I went in the green of a medical doctor) or a strange cut (this spring I was given one that didn't zip up in the center and I felt like some weird professorial lounge-lizard). So I've been looking at those $150 options on Amazon, but if all goes well, I might get something nicer as a tenure gift for myself.