Clayton Christiansen "The Innovative University" passed away

Started by ciao_yall, January 27, 2020, 07:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Has anyone read his book?

While his stuff was great for business, I wonder how it could have applied to Higher Ed. Was it just the usual claptrap or actually useful?

nonntt

He's gotten glowing tributes in the NY Times and Atlantic from some fairly different corners. I haven't read any of his books, including his book about higher ed, although I got to experience institutional decisions made by people highly influenced by him. It seems to me that he's best understood as a descriptivist rather than a prescriptivist, saying in effect that disruption is inevitable whether we want it or not, rather than saying that disruption is good or should be the goal.

secundem_artem

Quote from: nonntt on January 31, 2020, 04:36:16 PM
He's gotten glowing tributes in the NY Times and Atlantic from some fairly different corners. I haven't read any of his books, including his book about higher ed, although I got to experience institutional decisions made by people highly influenced by him. It seems to me that he's best understood as a descriptivist rather than a prescriptivist, saying in effect that disruption is inevitable whether we want it or not, rather than saying that disruption is good or should be the goal.

Probably because he was an "internationally renowned thought leader"
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances