CHE Article: "Title Policing and Other Ways Professors Bully the Academic Staff"

Started by writingprof, February 05, 2020, 05:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

secundem_artem

I can't work up enough indignation to care what the writer calls himself (or whatever title the department has assigned him).

But the only possible answer to the busybody senior blowhard who felt inclined to complain about this??  That would be to issue an immediate invitation that he was welcome to apply his lips to my swollen and empurpled member.  THAT guy is the most distal part of the gastrointestinal system.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

writingprof

Quote from: secundem_artem on February 06, 2020, 02:01:02 PM
I can't work up enough indignation to care what the writer calls himself (or whatever title the department has assigned him).

But the only possible answer to the busybody senior blowhard who felt inclined to complain about this??  That would be to issue an immediate invitation that he was welcome to apply his lips to my swollen and empurpled member.  THAT guy is the most distal part of the gastrointestinal system.

And here I was thinking the busybody senior blowhard was the hero of the story.

RatGuy

Quote from: writingprof on February 06, 2020, 02:09:48 PM

There are no heroes in this story.

mahagonny

Quote from: RatGuy on February 06, 2020, 02:21:14 PM

Not yet. But I think David Perry is a young mover and shaker. He's fearless and will probably end up a college president somewhere.

tuxthepenguin

Quote from: mahagonny on February 06, 2020, 04:59:41 PM

Not yet. But I think David Perry is a young mover and shaker. He's fearless and will probably end up a college president somewhere.

Or at least claim to be a college president and then say he doesn't see the difference between adjunct faculty member and president.

marshwiggle

Quote from: tuxthepenguin on February 07, 2020, 08:06:18 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on February 06, 2020, 04:59:41 PM

Or at least claim to be a college president and then say he doesn't see the difference between adjunct faculty member and president.

He could be the "president* at some institution" and call himself the "president of some institution". It's just another pesky preposition thing.

(*president of his neighbourhood association, stamp collecting club, or whatever.)
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

The way I read it the guy in California wasn't saying Perry aggrandized himself with the claim, exactly. More that he referred to a position that doesn't really exist.

Ruralguy

I hate the whole title arms race that happens at my school. If you call yourself a "coordinator" or "director" (and keep in mind you might be Directing a staff of one or coordinating the programs of a small room nobody much goes into) you get to claim a course release (not all petitions for release are granted, but many are). If you are enough of a chump to fold this "directing" and "coordinating" into your normal teaching, then you teach a full load. I just can't get myself to be pretentious enough to call myself "Director" of my own lab facilities, as modest as they are.

writingprof

Quote from: Ruralguy on February 07, 2020, 10:06:14 AM
I hate the whole title arms race that happens at my school. If you call yourself a "coordinator" or "director" (and keep in mind you might be Directing a staff of one or coordinating the programs of a small room nobody much goes into) you get to claim a course release (not all petitions for release are granted, but many are). If you are enough of a chump to fold this "directing" and "coordinating" into your normal teaching, then you teach a full load. I just can't get myself to be pretentious enough to call myself "Director" of my own lab facilities, as modest as they are.

I agree, but at least what goes on at your school is in service of the worthiest and most important prize in academe: the course release. The things I've done for one, few would believe.