It's time to end the consensual hallucination of fall in-person classes

Started by polly_mer, July 02, 2020, 05:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

downer

I saw that Georgetown has announced it is fully online for the fall. It's a bit late to be making these decisions, but it's good to see some places are coming to their senses.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

bio-nonymous

Quote from: spork on July 29, 2020, 01:17:49 PM
Coronavirus cases linked to U.S. colleges

Great article, thanks for sharing. Very sobering, these in-person openings might not last for more than a month where they do occur. We open in less than two weeks for fall--give the cases a month to percolate and spike, and I wouldn't be surprised if we are closed again by October.

secundem_artem

Quote from: bio-nonymous on July 29, 2020, 01:56:11 PM

Great article, thanks for sharing. Very sobering, these in-person openings might not last for more than a month where they do occur. We open in less than two weeks for fall--give the cases a month to percolate and spike, and I wouldn't be surprised if we are closed again by October.

I've got money riding on a bet we'll all be back fully online by Hallowe'en. 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

FishProf

This is pretty poor data reporting.  My school has multiple dozens of cases listed, yet NOT A SINGLE ONE has occurred ON campus.  They are all students and/or staff who were exposed and developed CV19 at least weeks to months after we closed in the spring.  Three of them are sisters who live together and 2 work in an area hospital.  My school looks bad because we are reporting all the cases that affect our population even though the cases have nothing to do with exposure at the school.

Punishing the transparent.  Good plan.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

bio-nonymous

Quote from: secundem_artem on July 29, 2020, 03:36:58 PM
Quote from: bio-nonymous on July 29, 2020, 01:56:11 PM

I've got money riding on a bet we'll all be back fully online by Hallowe'en.
I would not take that bet if I was a booky! I hope we are wrong about it, but...

wuggish

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Cheerful

Penn State students required to agree to "compact."

QuoteThe compact ends with a particularly blunt statement students must agree to. It states students must assume "any and all risk of exposure to COVID-19 that may result from attending Penn State, or participating in Penn State activities" and acknowledge "that exposure or infection may result in personal injury, illness, permanent disability, or death."

How comforting.

https://onwardstate.com/2020/08/05/penn-state-requiring-students-to-agree-to-coronavirus-compact-pledge/

spork

Cheerful

Iowa State finds 66 students with COVID-19 upon move-in

QuoteOf the more than 3,000 students Iowa State University has tested for COVID-19 in its first week of residence hall move-in, 66 have tested positive — half of whom are isolating in reserved space on campus and half of whom opted to return home to complete their period of isolation.

Iowa State is making all of the 9,000-some students planning to live in its residence halls or campus apartments get a COVID-19 test before moving in — with results processed in the campus-based Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory and coming back within 24 hours.

This week's 66 positive cases represent 2.2 percent of the 3,037 students tested at Lied Recreation Center before getting their room keys and moving into either a residence hall or campus apartment.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/education/iowa-state-finds-66-students-with-covid-19-upon-move-in-20200807

Aster

Quote from: spork on August 07, 2020, 04:56:13 AM
Syracuse U. places students on interim suspension for violating quarantine orders
From the article.

"During the 14-day on-campus quarantine period, which an SU official has likened to a "minimum-security prison," the university has said it will limit students' social interactions outside of their floor. Students quarantining on-campus order meals directly to their rooms through an online order form and have allotted time to exercise, socialize, go outside and do laundry."

I look forward to seeing how that works out.

TreadingLife

Quote from: Aster on August 08, 2020, 09:14:40 AM
Syracuse U. places students on interim suspension for violating quarantine orders
From the article.

"During the 14-day on-campus quarantine period, which an SU official has likened to a "minimum-security prison," the university has said it will limit students' social interactions outside of their floor. Students quarantining on-campus order meals directly to their rooms through an online order form and have allotted time to exercise, socialize, go outside and do laundry."

There is still a lot of sex in prison

writingprof

The University of Georgia is recommending that students have sex while wearing masks.  No, strike that.  They're recommending that students wear masks while having sex, which is a subtly but importantly different command.

lightning

Quote from: TreadingLife on August 08, 2020, 12:47:56 PM
Quote from: Aster on August 08, 2020, 09:14:40 AM
From the article.

There is still a lot of sex in prison

Ha ha ha !!!!!