A College Degree Is No Guarantee of a Good Life: The Atlantic Article

Started by polly_mer, July 03, 2020, 05:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Wahoo Redux

Yeah, okay.

I like The Atlantic and actually subscribe to it.

The article is fine, but (as all the hyperlinks attest) all this has been said before.  It is essentially rehash and summary with a bit of saccharine at the end.

It is interesting coming from a Harvard biz-prof, but I am a little bit, like, "Duh.  Is it just now occurring to you that college is not a necessity!?"  Who knows?  Maybe it did just occur to the author.

The concluding story about the son who becomes a rancher, wood-hauler, and eventually a Marine is also fine, but accidentally classist and a bit presumptive: who knows if he's made a life mistake or will reverse the course of his career?  The story is just a bit too pat and simplistic and sounds more like age-old rebellion to me.

What I do like is the focus on the parents----I know we've all seen miserable or wandering or immature, unmotivated college students who've registered because of their parents.

As always, the main argument is the cost of college.  That's the real enemy.  My father in-law paid for his college degree with summer jobs.  Not any more.  We should be working to change the dynamic.

And who ever said college was a guarantee of happiness anyway?!

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

writingprof

For many people, college equips one with some of the tools needed to go out and achieve happiness. That is all.

Hegemony

College ideally enables one to get more intellectual jobs.

More intellectual jobs does not translate automatically into happiness or into the "good life." In so far as such jobs keep poverty at bay, they're useful. But it's offensive to claim that people can't have good lives without college degrees.  The Atlantic headline is a bit sloppy, as headlines often are.

dismalist

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

kaysixteen

The best overall value of a real college education, more or less irrespective of major, ought to be the acquisition of critical thinking skills and discernment, hopefully with at least some well-rounded knowledge base as well.

marshwiggle

Quote from: kaysixteen on July 09, 2020, 09:44:44 PM
The best overall value of a real college education, more or less irrespective of major, ought to be the acquisition of critical thinking skills and discernment, hopefully with at least some well-rounded knowledge base as well.

If completing a major does not provide a student with a well-rounded knowledge base in addition to the skills, something is wrong. (Especially because if every graduate has the skills, the knowledge base of an individual will be necessary to stand apart in competition for employment with all of the other graduates.)
It takes so little to be above average.

writingprof

All this job-training stuff is for the birds. I got into this business to educate the sons of gentlemen.

Hibush

Quote from: writingprof on July 10, 2020, 06:17:17 AM
All this job-training stuff is for the birds. I got into this business to educate the sons of gentlemen.

Clarity of mission goes a long way to driving success.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Hibush on July 10, 2020, 10:17:05 AM
Quote from: writingprof on July 10, 2020, 06:17:17 AM

Clarity of mission goes a long way to driving success.

We specifically educate swains, serfs, and peasants.  That's why our business school can afford those foam-encased microphones that they throw around their auditorium when visiting speakers come to town. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.