News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Academic Ableism: HuffPost article

Started by polly_mer, July 11, 2020, 08:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

"KRYSTAL KAVITA JAGOO
Krystal Kavita Jagoo has held such roles as Child Development Counsellor for the Near North District School Board, Sessional Instructor at Nipissing University, and Wellness Counsellor and Coordinator for the University of Toronto, prior to her current work in Accessibility Services On Location at New College. This wealth of experience in various education settings has provided a decade of reflection regarding the gaps in how these systems fail to meet the needs of equity deserving students,  especially in relation to her identity as a brown immigrant woman. The body she inhabits has often allowed for students to share their worst horror stories, which propels her work to dismantle white supremacy in Canada, especially as a settler on this land, well aware of how model minority myths impact her positionally."

From the York University website.

Imagine having a diversocrat/victimology/bias administrator like this one up your ass while you're just trying to do your job teaching a class. And then, if you're iike me, for not very much money too. Ho---ll---y shit, as George Carlin would say. Who's going to want to teach at all if these kinds of people take over? And they get a full time job. They are a horror story. God help us.
She comes across as a lot of ego, self-dramatizing.

financeguy

My "many of these" example comes from previous work in the real estate industry. I have a broker license from years ago that I only use on a referral basis, sending business to others for buyers and sellers if they come to me in another capacity. Some of these guys do property management and I used to have a very small involvement in this as well as leasing. I can tell you that it's not uncommon for someone to be told they can't have a pet once caught that was never supposed to have it to begin with and they just go online, get the "therapy" certification and tell the building management to buzz off. It's just not worth the hassle and potential suit to try to fight them.

Meanwhile every other tenant in the building that specifically chose to be in a place that would not have loud barking at night or animal waste in public areas is screwed in the process. Some of them who may have considered bringing a pet if allowed find out about the scam and do the same. The building may as well have an anything goes pet policy at that point. Want to take your significant other to a nice several hundred dollar anniversary dinner? Get ready for Lassie at the next table twenty minutes in. Disability, like almost every other word in our language (racist, genius, etc.) is used so frequently as a default it has ceased to have a meaning.

fishbrains

Quote from: mamselle on July 12, 2020, 08:28:18 PM
QuoteWhat is/are 'folx'? Have I been away that long? When you're writing English, write English, please. Your'e not special that way.

??

That spelling does not appear anyplace on this page according to the search engine...except in your post.

Sorry.

You'll need to look for something else to be outraged about today.

M.

The author uses "folx" in the article to indicate how inclusive or "woke" they are. I always knew that bastard Porky Pig wasn't really with the program. Obscure reference link: https://youtu.be/b9434BoGkNQ.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Caracal

Quote from: mamselle on July 12, 2020, 11:34:14 AM
Quote from: smallcleanrat on July 12, 2020, 08:14:05 AM
Quote from: financeguy on July 12, 2020, 02:52:29 AM
My anecdotal experience is that many of these are as abusive as the claim to need a "therapy dog" as an excuse to take your pet where you'd like/ruin the experience of others rather than an actual need for a service animal.

"Many of these" what?

Some people here might in fact have therapy animals. And you can't always tell who it is, or why, or how severe their need may be.

Perhaps it's possible to be a bit less cynical about the need for them, or the too-broad assumption that everyone is gaming that system?

M.

I've been trying to be more empathetic to the way different manifestations effect people differently lately. College sort of resolved most of my problems with ADD, at least as it pertained to getting stuff done. I also have anxiety, but it hasn't ever kept me from doing my job and getting stuff done. But, I've come to realize that a lot of this is just very particular to me and my makeup. If instead of studying history, school had involved setting up tents or something I would have needed a lot of help.

mahagonny

Quote from: fishbrains on July 13, 2020, 10:35:48 AM
Quote from: mamselle on July 12, 2020, 08:28:18 PM
QuoteWhat is/are 'folx'? Have I been away that long? When you're writing English, write English, please. Your'e not special that way.

??

That spelling does not appear anyplace on this page according to the search engine...except in your post.

Sorry.

You'll need to look for something else to be outraged about today.

M.

The author uses "folx" in the article to indicate how inclusive or "woke" they are. I always knew that bastard Porky Pig wasn't really with the program. Obscure reference link: https://youtu.be/b9434BoGkNQ.

It's an in crowd thing. It's 'we're smarter than everyone else. Are you one of the cool people?'
Do you know what LGBTQIA stands for? You can't sit still on these things.
I can tell you one thing about the inclusion crowd. They don't want you in the club. You're like, yesterday, man.
They're being incredibly shallow and vain in my opinion.
Here are some people you can connect with if people have been giving you a hard time about being asexual. Leave to those cutting edge Britons.    http://www.galop.org.uk/anti-asexual-hate-crime/