News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The other crisis facing higher ed (from The Hill)

Started by theblackbox, August 12, 2020, 07:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theblackbox

It's about adjuncts and COVID-19, lack of healthcare and sick leave. Not necessarily new ideas, but published in a regular press/non-academic outlet.

https://thehill.com/opinion/education/511552-adjuncting-the-other-crisis-facing-higher-education

downer

Her conclusioon, "Protections for those who contribute to the curriculum — even part-time — need to be mandatory." is a nice sentiment, but seems like a million miles from harsh realities.

I wonder how many adjuncts have been looking to supplement income with COVID contact tracer jobs. I know a couple of people who have tried to get those positions.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Wahoo Redux

I keep the hope alive that this sort of press will help fix this conundrum in the long run.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

polly_mer

This is basically the recent press release from the AAUP committee on contingent faculty.  The time to have made and implemented the plan to do something was decades ago.  The institutions that rely heavily on part-time faculty are the ones that did so when times were relatively good and yet their budgets were really tight.

It's a lovely thought that is seriously out of touch with even last year's reality, let alone now.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!