News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Matthew J. Mayhew's IHE Hostage Video

Started by writingprof, September 29, 2020, 02:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

writingprof

Everyone should check out Inside Higher Ed's hilarious parody of post-cancellation groveling, penned by one Matthew J. Mayhew, comedian.  Apparently, Mayhew argued publicly that "college football might help get us through these uncharacteristically difficult times."  Now he's back with a side-splitting "apology" for the "hurt, sadness, frustration, fatigue, exhaustion[,] and pain" that that opinion caused. 

Slyly, Mayhew claims to be "struggling to find the words to communicate the deep ache for the damage [he has] done."  But never fear.  He has indeed found the words.  And they are very, very funny.

https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2020/09/29/author-apologizes-inside-higher-ed-article-he-recently-wrote-opinion

mahagonny

So little time, so much to be sorry about.

bacardiandlime

Interesting that the original piece was co-authored; only one of the authors has apologised.
(And while the original piece might have been a bit shallow - after all, it was a brief opinion piece - I find it hard to see it as the crime against humanity the author now seems to be apologising for).

darkstarrynight

In the apology, the author apologized for including a graduate student as a co-author of the original piece.

Caracal

Quote from: writingprof on September 29, 2020, 02:29:33 PM
Everyone should check out Inside Higher Ed's hilarious parody of post-cancellation groveling, penned by one Matthew J. Mayhew, comedian.  Apparently, Mayhew argued publicly that "college football might help get us through these uncharacteristically difficult times."  Now he's back with a side-splitting "apology" for the "hurt, sadness, frustration, fatigue, exhaustion[,] and pain" that that opinion caused. 

Slyly, Mayhew claims to be "struggling to find the words to communicate the deep ache for the damage [he has] done."  But never fear.  He has indeed found the words.  And they are very, very funny.

https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2020/09/29/author-apologizes-inside-higher-ed-article-he-recently-wrote-opinion

I think what you have a hard time with is the idea that things can both be ridiculous, but also, not particularly important.

writingprof

Quote from: Caracal on September 30, 2020, 06:19:42 AM
Quote from: writingprof on September 29, 2020, 02:29:33 PM

I think what you have a hard time with is the idea that things can both be ridiculous, but also, not particularly important.

I suppose it depends on how you define importance.  I think it's very important that we have willfully replicated Maoist norms in our institutions.  Others may differ.

mahagonny

Well, just for a bit of perspective, how serious is the threat of white supremacist groups?

Caracal

Quote from: mahagonny on September 30, 2020, 08:40:15 AM
Well, just for a bit of perspective, how serious is the threat of white supremacist groups?

Well, the President of the United States seems to regard them as a potential paramilitary force that will support him. Seems serious enough...

mahagonny

Quote from: Caracal on September 30, 2020, 09:11:38 AM

Well, the President of the United States seems to regard them as a potential paramilitary force that will support him. Seems serious enough...

Where did you find out a thing like this?

Caracal

Quote from: mahagonny on September 30, 2020, 11:05:15 AM

He said it last night.
"Proud Boys -- stand back and stand by. But I'll tell you what. I'll tell you what. Somebody's got to do something about Antifa and the left because this is not a right wing problem."

mahagonny

Quote from: Caracal on September 30, 2020, 11:18:16 AM

He said it last night.
"Proud Boys -- stand back and stand by. But I'll tell you what. I'll tell you what. Somebody's got to do something about Antifa and the left because this is not a right wing problem."

But he has black supporters, and fervent ones. And there are other blacks, educated people, who feel as I do. They don't like Trump, particularly, and probably dislike his style and demeanor especially, but they give him credit for understanding things about the silly far left that should be obvious. Which doesn't even make him remarkable in any way, but makes at least some part of him more sane than the silly far left.
I don't recall Joe Biden being asked to disavow the support of far left militants. Why not?
He did say violence is wrong, but he didn't identify any fringe people who are likely to vote for him, that he is interested in spurning, as Trump was asked to do. He defended Antifa. They are not exactly Boy Scouts.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mahagonny on September 30, 2020, 11:54:56 AM
Quote from: Caracal on September 30, 2020, 11:18:16 AM

He said it last night.

"But he has black supporters, and fervent ones. And there are other blacks, educated people, who feel as I do."

What does that have to do with what Caracal said. Knowing what I know of Proud Boys, and hearing the comment, I immediately thought of brown shirts.

"He defended Antifa."

When? How?

writingprof

Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 30, 2020, 12:19:32 PM
"He defended Antifa."

When? How?

When he said that Antifa was "just an idea," the obvious corollary was that it isn't a group of actual humans perpetrating actual violence. The rhetorical function of that lie is to forestall criticism of Antifa--in other words, to defend them.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: writingprof on September 30, 2020, 12:32:07 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 30, 2020, 12:19:32 PM
"He defended Antifa."

When? How?

When he said that Antifa was "just an idea," the obvious corollary was that it isn't a group of actual humans perpetrating actual violence. The rhetorical function of that lie is to forestall criticism of Antifa--in other words, to defend them.

Thanks. I didn't watch. I saw clips of the Proud Boys part.

So, question: do you really think Antifa is an organization? I know Proud Boys are, but all I've really seen of Antifa is furor in the suburbs over things that never happen. Clearly something more organized is going on in Portland and Seattle, but those cities have long been hotbeds of anarchists.

marshwiggle

Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 30, 2020, 12:44:38 PM

So, question: do you really think Antifa is an organization? I know Proud Boys are, but all I've really seen of Antifa is furor in the suburbs over things that never happen. Clearly something more organized is going on in Portland and Seattle, but those cities have long been hotbeds of anarchists.

This seems like an incredible degree of wilful blindness. Antifa has been doing all kinds of violent stuff for years.
It takes so little to be above average.