News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

About half of new faculty want to quit: IHE article

Started by polly_mer, November 23, 2020, 06:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/11/19/faculty-pandemic-stress-now-chronic

Some of wanting to quit is being in a pandemic, but that's not all of the pressure to do more with much less where urgent crowds out important nearly daily.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Ruralguy

Its very stressful. On top of that is the daily infighting now due to limited resources and conflicting goals (between and among virtually all stakeholders).

marshwiggle

Some interesing results from the study:
To improve their current level of job satisfaction, faculty named increased compensation (53%), modifications to teaching schedule or load (46%), new technology or better access to technology support (34%), and increased staff/teaching assistant support (26%).

The fact that more tech support and more staff/TA support rank lower than money is interesting.

While only 6% reported stress from the loss of a job and a majority report no concerns that their institution or department would close permanently as a result of the pandemic, more than 40 percent of faculty have considered leaving their positions as a result of COVID-19 changes/impacts.

I'm kind of curious what all these people figure they would do instead that would be more stable during covid.
It takes so little to be above average.

Caracal

It seems like a meaningless statistic. I sort of want to quit by the end of every semester. Does it mean they are really seriously considering it?

apl68

Are there pre-pandemic figures for this to indicate any increases in desire to quit since the pandemic started?

Are there figures for the workforce in general to compare this to?  At any given time a lot of people, in lots of different occupations, feel like quitting.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Probably all of us, at some time or another, if we're honest...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on November 23, 2020, 08:43:36 AM
Are there pre-pandemic figures for this to indicate any increases in desire to quit since the pandemic started?

Are there figures for the workforce in general to compare this to?  At any given time a lot of people, in lots of different occupations, feel like quitting.

I have to say, I'm really not looking forward to going back to being in-person with 13 lab sections of the same course. The more things get adapted for remote delivery, the fewer of them I feel are absolutely necessary in person.
It takes so little to be above average.

Caracal

Quote from: apl68 on November 23, 2020, 08:43:36 AM

Yes, exactly. "Considered leaving" is pretty vague and could cover everything from momentary thoughts of quitting to a desire to search for other academic jobs.

I find it useful to think about quitting when I'm feeling grumpy about work. It reminds me that I'm not actually stuck and could do something else. Once I've made that a real possibility, it helps me to put things in perspective.

If you just started a new position this year, it makes sense that you'd be feeling pretty down. You have all the normal stress of being new, but you're doing it in a pandemic. I'm guessing that most people who have "considered quitting" think about it and realize that it wouldn't make much sense to make decisions based on how they feel about their job now.

Ruralguy

And there's a lot of downsizing in these times even among skilled professions, so its not like you can really avoid going from the frying pan into the fire anyway, but particularly for newer academics, it might be useful to consider other options.

As far as the article goes, yes, without comparison data its hard to really get a solid measure of how much more people want to quit, but I think one major factor is that some of these folks think they may not have a job anymore anyway, so they are quitting in advance of being fired more than they are quitting because they inherently hate the job.

fishbrains

Anecdotally, I'm finding that the level of stress tends to be field-specific (keep in mind I'm at a CC). Humanities faculty like myself have been able to make the transition to online/Zoom/COVID courses far more easily than folks in the sciences, nursing, tech ed., etc. Some of these faculty probably could have been looking at online delivery a little more closely prior to COVID, but suddenly converting mid-semester was a bit much. Plus the frozen molasses responses from accreditation organizations, administration, and other entities over the summer weren't helpful.

At any rate, after talking to people I used to work with back in my foodservice days, I know I don't have anything to complain about. At all.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

teach_write_research

Quote from: polly_mer on November 23, 2020, 06:36:46 AM
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/11/19/faculty-pandemic-stress-now-chronic

Some of wanting to quit is being in a pandemic, but that's not all of the pressure to do more with much less where urgent crowds out important nearly daily.

Hold on now. The data are from CourseHero?!?  CourseHero is a plagairism site. They tempt students with "scholarship" drawings in exchange for students uploading their work and instructor materials. They give a shiny statement of academic integrity while promoting misconduct. https://www.coursehero.com/academic-integrity-policies/

I see you CourseHero trying to ingratiate yourself to faculty with this (questionable) data. Not falling for it! The links I followed don't even get me to the data. Research Hub my a$$. https://www.coursehero.com/research-hub/

That is a new low for insidehigered.com.

polly_mer

Quote from: fishbrains on November 23, 2020, 10:15:46 AM
At any rate, after talking to people I used to work with back in my foodservice days, I know I don't have anything to complain about. At all.

The choice for professionals is not faculty or foodservice.  Things aren't perfect here, but no one has cried in my office at all here, even during the current Covid problems, and I had faculty crying in my office weekly (students more frequently than that) when I was in academia and that was before I started having to bang the drum about how the college was going to close.

Per teach_write_research, CourseHero may not be the most reliable data source, but they wouldn't have had to cherry pick too hard to get their numbers based on other surveys in the past five to ten years.

Self report from late 2019: https://www.adjunctnation.com/2020/01/23/majority-of-adjunct-faculty-say-theyd-leave-academia-if-a-different-job-opportunity-arose/

Harvard has people who do faculty retention research as a paid service for an institution and for general research purposes( https://coache.gse.harvard.edu/research) because the issue of good faculty leaving academia is a thing and worrying even at good institutions.

Several years ago, academic quit lit was having a moment (one of many articles is https://community.chronicle.com/news/216-why-so-many-academics-quit-and-tell).  The quit lit is less in the spotlight right now, but it's still a thing.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

fishbrains

Quote from: polly_mer on November 23, 2020, 02:22:55 PM
Quote from: fishbrains on November 23, 2020, 10:15:46 AM

The choice for professionals is not faculty or foodservice.  Things aren't perfect here, but no one has cried in my office at all here, even during the current Covid problems, and I had faculty crying in my office weekly (students more frequently than that) when I was in academia and that was before I started having to bang the drum about how the college was going to close.

I don't think that's what I meant, but okay.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

bad_math_puns

This is me! Newish TT faculty at a non-elite but still perfectly solid school. Loved my job as of March, now actively looking to quit. Industry may had a few lean years so I realize I may not get hired right away. But also, my current job will never be as good as (I thought) it was pre-COVID.

writingprof

Quote from: Caracal on November 23, 2020, 08:33:36 AM
It seems like a meaningless statistic. I sort of want to quit by the end of every semester. Does it mean they are really seriously considering it?

I agree.  This week: Professors all want to quit.  Next week: Professors refuse to retire.