News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Inequities in FBS college football

Started by Hibush, December 04, 2020, 09:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hibush

The new Knight commission report asserts that current practices "have led to inequities among FBS institutions" in the strength of their football programs.

An interesting word choice. I thought the stratification of football was the result of an expensive and intentional process.

This is the report that recommends creating a new conference specifically for Power-5 football. It would be fully separate from NCAA in rules and revenue distribution. That change will be much in the news.

In an unsurprising move, the non-Power 5 schools voted to remove the heavier vote weighting currently given the Power 5 schools in the NCAA. How will these two changes affect future NCAA policy?

One question that intrigues me, and is left unanswered, is how to make up the revenue for the minor teams that are paid handsomely to get beat up by Power-5 teams at the beginning of the season.  (Appendix 1, Question 5). I think those games are an embarrassment for everyone involved. Schools that victimize their hapless athletes that way to balance the budget are just evil.