News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Student Life in the Medieval Universities

Started by dismalist, May 31, 2021, 07:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

This is good edutainment about Student Life in the Medieval Universities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsPM41ieR_w

Well, the students got up earlier, the texts were, 'uh, hard to come by, and they boozed like crazy.

Now they get up late. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

Do I dare watch?

There are so many out-to-lunch misconceptions about this that I just get mad and have to write long refutations on YT channel sites.

Better to save my writing time for more productive things ...uh...like the Fora?

Kidding...thanks for the link!

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Hibush

In the video, the medieval student, Rupert of Deutz, has remarkably similar complaints to those in today's IHE column by a disillusioned graduate student. The class differences within expensive colleges provoke the very same tensions.

Anselm

I once had a paperback which might have been titled The Penguin Medieval Reader.  It had some great passages related to this topic.  There was one student upset that he was stuck inside studying when others were out having fun.   Then you have the students writing home asking their parents for more money.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

mamselle

There's a stone (clay?) tablet from a student to their parents in one of the very early Mediterranean civilizations with that same sort of text.

I'll have to look it up, the parallels to more recent kids' complaints (I first saw it in the 1960s) were striking.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.