News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Chronicle: Begging Students to Mask Up

Started by Parasaurolophus, August 28, 2021, 08:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mleok

Quote from: marshwiggle on August 29, 2021, 11:13:45 AMIf an instructor asks students to wear masks, because of (amongs other things) the instructor's vulnerable family members, and a student refuses, then when that student asks for an extension for an assignment due to (among other things) their sick grandparent, why shouldn't the instructor refuse? After all, it's "just some student in their history class".

Indeed, students who are unsympathetic to how their actions might cause grievous harm to my immediate family, should expect no sympathy from me if one of their immediate family members dies through no fault of mine.

clean

QuoteQuote from: marshwiggle on Today at 11:13:45 AM
If an instructor asks students to wear masks, because of (amongs other things) the instructor's vulnerable family members, and a student refuses, then when that student asks for an extension for an assignment due to (among other things) their sick grandparent, why shouldn't the instructor refuse? After all, it's "just some student in their history class".

Indeed, students who are unsympathetic to how their actions might cause grievous harm to my immediate family, should expect no sympathy from me if one of their immediate family members dies through no fault of mine.

Unfortunately, I doubt that the snowflakes would understand anything but how 'unfair' the 'uncompassionate  faculty member' would be, and unfortunately, I wonder what the admincritters would say... After all, isnt it one of the top priorities to keep the snowflakes ENROLLED and secondarily happy?  Keeping faculty healthy may not be on the list (after all, dont they Already GIVE us (out of their own generosity), bereavement leave, sufficient sick leave and minimal/adequate health insurance? 

Personally, I have stopped asking.  I already know I have no administrative support.  I mask myself, and try to keep my distance.

Still, I was emailed just today by 2 students that attended classes last week that they have TESTED POSITIVE!! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader