News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

WSJ: Fewer men enrolling in college

Started by ciao_yall, September 07, 2021, 07:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Are the only two choices college or living in Mom's basement?

I know an artist who dropped out of college after two years, lived with his parents for another twenty, and is an outstanding success in his field today. Owns a house in a ritzy town by the sea, much nicer than the one he was raised in. Of course, not everyone is born with exceptional talent.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Hibush on September 15, 2021, 05:36:17 PM
Quote from: dismalist on September 15, 2021, 05:16:38 PM
I tentatively conclude it ain't monetary income rewards keeping the boys out of college more and more. What, then?

As was mentioned earlier, there is a significant segment of the population that has for much of their teen years seen role models treat traits like competence, effort and knowledge as unmanly. They want to be manly.

Aren't some of those "white" according to CRT? Maybe men are being anti-racist by avoiding those things.
It takes so little to be above average.

Hibush

Quote from: dismalist on September 15, 2021, 06:22:06 PM
Quote from: Hibush on September 15, 2021, 05:36:17 PM
Quote from: dismalist on September 15, 2021, 05:16:38 PM
I tentatively conclude it ain't monetary income rewards keeping the boys out of college more and more. What, then?

As was mentioned earlier, there is a significant segment of the population that has for much of their teen years seen role models treat traits like competence, effort and knowledge as unmanly. They want to be manly.

If that affect 10% or so of these boys, it could contribute to their lack of interest in college that results in those.

Can't be: One has to be competent, expend effort, and gain knowledge outside of two-year colleges when one is working, too. And that has always been the case. So, why in the last thirty years?

It is a small but significant proportion taking this view, but decidedly male-specific. It's not just college. If you want to see the concept applied to non-college careers, visit YouTube for some plumbers, tree fellers and truck drivers who proudly eschew competence and knowledge, but feel confident in their manliness.

Mobius

Wait until those dudes become further embittered when educated women their age don't want to be involved with a dumb townie.

mahagonny

Quote from: Mobius on September 17, 2021, 01:40:26 PM
Wait until those dudes become further embittered when educated women their age don't want to be involved with a dumb townie.

I like classic movies, long walks on the beach and tennis. You sound like fun to hang out with. Call sometime?

mahagonny

Oops, that was supposed to be an aside.

marshwiggle

Everyone will be better off that way, including (especially?) the "dumb townies". A successful relationship requires mutual respect; where that's lacking, there's no future.
It takes so little to be above average.

dismalist

Wait until those educated women become more embittered because they can't find educated men.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

Reminds me of when my Latin teacher in 9th grade (a married female) remarked that women planning to go to college should always check the gender ratio of men to women in the student population, so they'd be sure of finding a mate there.

At the time I thought she was serious; now, I suspect it was ironically said.

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

High class women can always marry the government.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ciao_yall

Quote from: mamselle on September 18, 2021, 03:09:07 PM
Reminds me of when my Latin teacher in 9th grade (a married female) remarked that women planning to go to college should always check the gender ratio of men to women in the student population, so they'd be sure of finding a mate there.

M.

When I was applying to colleges, Cal Tech sent potential women applicants a letter with their 90% male ratio as a leading reason to attend there. Needless to say, I ran screaming...

The problem is you want the ratio like 60-40, not 90-10. You want to be able to pick from a broad pool but not be harassed by a bunch of lonely horny guys.

dismalist

Quote from: ciao_yall on September 18, 2021, 07:15:34 PM
Quote from: mamselle on September 18, 2021, 03:09:07 PM

M.

When I was applying to colleges, Cal Tech sent potential women applicants a letter with their 90% male ratio as a leading reason to attend there. Needless to say, I ran screaming...

The problem is you want the ratio like 60-40, not 90-10. You want to be able to pick from a broad pool but not be harassed by a bunch of lonely horny guys.

Elsewhere, I've read of a 40-60 minimum male-to-female ratio as desired by colleges, otherwise the females would stay away. Don't know if it's true, but it sounds plausible. There are eight million reasons to go to college. Finding a mate is one of them.

All that aside, given the odds, there's always the government.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Mobius

Schools with a strong religious mission also really care about gender ratios since they do want students to pair off and get married (BYU, Liberty, Oral Roberts, among others). I wonder if the trend affects those schools much.