News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Manifesto for a new university in Austin

Started by dismalist, November 08, 2021, 09:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

Given the academic job market, there will be no shortage of people interested in applying for a job there if they really open up (and that's a big if).

But if it is an expensive place to buy a place, they are going to have to offer an attractive package to any big names. And while Austin has many attractions, it is in Texas, which definitely does not appeal to everyone. Especially those wedded to either west coast or east coast life styles.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

marshwiggle

Quote from: downer on November 09, 2021, 06:15:15 AM
Given the academic job market, there will be no shortage of people interested in applying for a job there if they really open up (and that's a big if).

But if it is an expensive place to buy a place, they are going to have to offer an attractive package to any big names. And while Austin has many attractions, it is in Texas, which definitely does not appeal to everyone. Especially those wedded to either west coast or east coast life styles.

One possibility, if they actually get going, would be if they could offer a significant number of *"special" courses, where they could get scholars to visit for a term to teach a course. That would allow them to get all kinds of fascinating people in who wouldn't be interested in moving there permanently (including international scholars who aren't up for permanent US residency and all that it entails.)

*Anyone who knows about accreditation- How do those factor into accreditation? Do courses like that have to be strictly elective? Can a few be considered part of core requirements?
It takes so little to be above average.

Sun_Worshiper

If they actually wanted to create a university that helps students to succeed then they would focus on STEM, CS, nursing etc. (you know, like real universities), but of course they won't because the "free speech is everything" crowd in elite media really has no clue what goes on in universities around the country. They think that university education is all activist humanities, so they will offer all humanities but with more controversial hot takes sprinkled in.

Anyway guess is that this will just be a venue for famous people to hit on their speaking tours.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 09, 2021, 07:26:53 AM
If they actually wanted to create a university that helps students to succeed then they would focus on STEM, CS, nursing etc. (you know, like real universities), but of course they won't because the "free speech is everything" crowd in elite media really has no clue what goes on in universities around the country. They think that university education is all activist humanities, so they will offer all humanities but with more controversial hot takes sprinkled in.

Anyway guess is that this will just be a venue for famous people to hit on their speaking tours.

Just curious; what counts as "elite" media? And what makes the distinction?

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: marshwiggle on November 09, 2021, 07:31:36 AM

I just mean public intellectuals/commentators that have secured a stage in the national media to opine on a frequent basis. I would think of elite media as being outlets like the Atlantic, the New Yorker, and of course the editorial pages of the NYT, Washington Post, WSJ, etc.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 09, 2021, 07:49:21 AM

I just mean public intellectuals/commentators that have secured a stage in the national media to opine on a frequent basis. I would think of elite media as being outlets like the Atlantic, the New Yorker, and of course the editorial pages of the NYT, Washington Post, WSJ, etc.

I note that none of the sources you mention are on television. So I guess that means most people won't be tainted by the elite media.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: marshwiggle on November 09, 2021, 08:00:13 AM

I note that none of the sources you mention are on television. So I guess that means most people won't be tainted by the elite media.

The above was not an exhaustive list. People like Bari Weiss are constantly on CNN, MSNBC, Fox, and talk shows like Bill Maher.

mahagonny

Quote from: downer on November 08, 2021, 11:37:58 AM
How curious. Seems like a strange time to be starting a new university. Won't they need to get accreditation from some organization? Higher ed institutions are not known for acting swiftly.

Given what they've told us about themselves thus far, I would think if they can get students without accreditation, then accreditation, not them, has lost some of its standing. It's probably left biased anyway, judging by some of the race-baiting d-bags who have tenure now at places like Princeton, Rutgers, Boston University, and probably a bunch of places in California. Of course the most of tenure culture will be trashing them, but will that hurt?

marshwiggle

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 09, 2021, 09:55:29 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on November 09, 2021, 08:00:13 AM

The above was not an exhaustive list. People like Bari Weiss are constantly on CNN, MSNBC, Fox, and talk shows like Bill Maher.

If all of those are "elite", then what's "non-elite"??? I truly have no idea what the terms mean.

apl68

It does sound like what they have in mind is as much a think tank foundation as it is a college.  Given that they're trying to put this in a very expensive location, and probably are going to have a hard time raising enough money to build a serious campus in such a location, I'd say that they face an uphill struggle.  Regardless of the instant polarization that has developed between those who want them to succeed and those who want them to fail.

If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

ciao_yall

Quote from: mahagonny on November 09, 2021, 10:02:07 AM
How curious. Seems like a strange time to be starting a new university. Won't they need to get accreditation from some organization? Higher ed institutions are not known for acting swiftly.

Given what they've told us about themselves thus far, I would think if they can get students without accreditation, then accreditation, not them, has lost some of its standing. It's probably left biased anyway, judging by some of the race-baiting d-bags who have tenure now at places like Princeton, Rutgers, Boston University, and probably a bunch of places in California. Of course the most of tenure culture will be trashing them, but will that hurt?

Accreditation is required to be eligible for Federal Financial Aid. A job or graduate school might require a degree from an accredited institution. Unaccredited units often won't transfer if the student decides to finish their degree elsewhere.

It's hard to get students without accreditation. I wouldn't recommend students attend an unaccredited school.

mahagonny

Quote from: ciao_yall on November 09, 2021, 10:10:57 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on November 09, 2021, 10:02:07 AM

Accreditation is required to be eligible for Federal Financial Aid. A job or graduate school might require a degree from an accredited institution. Unaccredited units often won't transfer if the student decides to finish their degree elsewhere.

It's hard to get students without accreditation. I wouldn't recommend students attend an unaccredited school.

Of course. All of that is part of the sickness and corruption of today's higher education that Weiss, et al, identify.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: apl68 on November 09, 2021, 10:09:21 AM

It does sound like what they have in mind is as much a think tank foundation as it is a college.  Given that they're trying to put this in a very expensive location, and probably are going to have a hard time raising enough money to build a serious campus in such a location, I'd say that they face an uphill struggle.  Regardless of the instant polarization that has developed between those who want them to succeed and those who want them to fail.

Succeed in what? I don't actually understand what value they will be bringing to students, beyond offering them controversial hot takes on social issues - hot takes that they already hear all the time through the media.