News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Who's an R1? New Carnegie report

Started by Hibush, December 17, 2021, 12:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hibush

CHE has a report on the new Carnegie classification.

Doctoral schools on the boudary of the "top" classification tend to pay close attention to making it or staying in it.

There are now 137 R1 schools (Doctoral, Very High Research)

Making the sought-after move from R2 to R1:
Baylor U.
Kent State U. at Kent   
North Dakota State U.
Old Dominion U.
U. of Denver   
U. of Louisiana at Lafayette   
U. of Memphis   
U. of Texas at San Antonio   
Utah State U.

Making the dissappointing drop from R1 to R2:
Brandeis U.
New Jersey Institute of Technology
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Any surprises?
Any cheers for a favorite?

aside

Happy for those that aspired to move up and did, sorry for those that fell down. 

pgher

Rensselaer has been slipping for many years. Their reputation far exceeds their performance. Still, disappointing that they crossed the threshold.

Hibush

Quote from: pgher on December 17, 2021, 01:13:44 PM
Rensselaer has been slipping for many years. Their reputation far exceeds their performance. Still, disappointing that they crossed the threshold.
Is that one of the legacies of Pres. Jackson? She was a big star but seems to have been going off the rails recently. I gather she'll be retiring next year. Perhaps the new president (Schmidt from MIT) will aid in a recovery.

pgher

Quote from: Hibush on December 17, 2021, 02:00:36 PM
Is that one of the legacies of Pres. Jackson? She was a big star but seems to have been going off the rails recently. I gather she'll be retiring next year. Perhaps the new president (Schmidt from MIT) will aid in a recovery.

Perhaps. But I think she just accelerated an existing trend.

dismalist

Quote from: pgher on December 17, 2021, 03:19:29 PM
Quote from: Hibush on December 17, 2021, 02:00:36 PM

Perhaps. But I think she just accelerated an existing trend.

21 years of acceleration? Must'a been a pretty steep descent in the last few years. :-)

I've read the linked articles. I recognize the personality traits, having been exposed to a lower level version. However, as I've asked on the Dire Financial Straits thread, I wonder where the money comes from, and why.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

lightning

RPI slipped to an R2? I'm really shocked.

Congrats to the R2 schools that went up to R1.

Condolences to the faculty at those same schools, if the research expectations are higher, but the R2 teaching load is maintained.

quasihumanist

Does Brandeis really *want* to be an R1 anyway?  It's tiny for an R1, and it pays a lot of attention to undergraduate education.  It strikes me it would be better off as a bigger version of Wesleyan or Bryn Mawr (both of which have a few graduate programs) or a smaller version of Dartmouth, rather than compete with BU or Rice or Vanderbilt or Duke or WUSTL.

traductio

North Dakota State was an RU/VH when I worked for its rival up the road (which was only an RU/H). It must have dropped a rung before moving back up again.

Mobius

Quote from: lightning on December 17, 2021, 05:18:57 PM
RPI slipped to an R2? I'm really shocked.

Congrats to the R2 schools that went up to R1.

Condolences to the faculty at those same schools, if the research expectations are higher, but the R2 teaching load is maintained.

A few of those already have R1 teaching loads, like Denver.

Hibush

Quote from: traductio on December 17, 2021, 06:12:20 PM
North Dakota State was an RU/VH when I worked for its rival up the road (which was only an RU/H). It must have dropped a rung before moving back up again.

NDSU appears to have worked at coming back after dropping in 2015 by staffing their research office and grad school to support the increased activity in each area. They have a research expenditure per faculty of $316k/year, which is above the R1 mean. The need to increase the total a bit.

They also looked at where increased doctoral training would best fit their situation.
Quote from: NDSU Task Graduate Force ReportThe current [Carnegie] ranking of NDSU is highly competitive in terms of two important measures, research expenditure and broad PhD production. ​Interdisciplinary programs at NDSU provide tremendous potential to be a real strength by leveraging the research expenditures and graduate student PhD realization necessary to consistently retain Carnegie's highest ranking.​ ​T​o make that happen, existing disincentives for departments to support their faculty involvement within these programs need to be removed.

That strategizing looks as if it is good for faculty and grad students.

Kate

I am surprised about Kent State, North Dakota SU, Baylor and Brandeis. I do not have much specific material; rather know a little bit about each of them, and these make me surprised

Ruralguy

In my STEM sub field, Brandeis had a small but solid program producing several successful people in the field . I think part of the issue is bunch hires in the Evelyn Handler days, now retiring, and not being replaced with equivalent people, at least not in enough fields at same level. I'm surprised they let this happen. They really wanted to get beyond that "safety school for Northeast Jewish kids" image and image of only having solid research in fields such as Judaic studies (Im a former kid, Jewish, from Northeast...didn't go to Brandeis). I think they succeeded, but it seems that for some reason, are faltering, at least on the research end for some programs.

Puget

Quote from: Ruralguy on December 20, 2021, 06:41:16 AM
In my STEM sub field, Brandeis had a small but solid program producing several successful people in the field . I think part of the issue is bunch hires in the Evelyn Handler days, now retiring, and not being replaced with equivalent people, at least not in enough fields at same level. I'm surprised they let this happen. They really wanted to get beyond that "safety school for Northeast Jewish kids" image and image of only having solid research in fields such as Judaic studies (Im a former kid, Jewish, from Northeast...didn't go to Brandeis). I think they succeeded, but it seems that for some reason, are faltering, at least on the research end for some programs.

Mostly it is just much, much smaller than the other R1s. It's hard to graduate enough PhDs to maintain R1 status at that overall size, even when per capita research productivity is really high.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Ruralguy

I see.so, for R1 status they need to meet a certain absolute Ph D. Production rate? Or is out in any way distributed across fields?