News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Who owns history?

Started by Langue_doc, February 21, 2023, 01:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

Much of the problem stems from bandying about the term "public" with reckless abandon.

For most art, education, libraries and other stuff, the relevant public is very small. Therefore, if each little public got to decide on what it wants to spend money on, there is no problem. Competition will see to it that what's sufficiently valued will be undertaken.

As I said on another thread, a library in a Jewish neighborhood should very well have the right to not have Mein Kampf in its collection. Not for the country, but for the neighborhood. There are many libraries in many neighborhoods, and anyone wishing to read Mein Kampf can still do so. College exhibited art, college curricular content are no different.

Anybody remember when television had three channels [or fewer in parts of the country]? There's room for discussion of standards in such a case. Now that we have 1000 channels, just turn off what we don't like. And we have 3500+ colleges and universities.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: dismalist on February 22, 2023, 01:18:30 PM
For most art, education, libraries and other stuff, the relevant public is very small. Therefore, if each little public got to decide on what it wants to spend money on, there is no problem.

Are you worried about precedent?
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

dismalist

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on February 22, 2023, 01:34:30 PM
Quote from: dismalist on February 22, 2023, 01:18:30 PM
For most art, education, libraries and other stuff, the relevant public is very small. Therefore, if each little public got to decide on what it wants to spend money on, there is no problem.

Are you worried about precedent?

I'm not worried about anything so long as there is competition. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

artalot

The murals are definitely problematic as to content and style of representation. And the artist is pretty clear that he wanted them to be difficult to look at. But neither artists nor patrons own the interpretation of the work, and that's what's at issue here.
So, I think the question is what do we do with public art that is difficult in terms of both subject matter and style of representation. I don't know that I have the answer, but I do think that universities are unique in the realm of public institutions in that we are called to educate. At the very least, this seems liked a missed educational opportunity.

secundem_artem

Waaah waaah waaah.  Just the next chapter in who is being oppressed by whom in the race to the bottom of the misery olympics. 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances