WSJ Poll: Majority of Americans Doubt Benefit of a College Degree

Started by Wahoo Redux, April 01, 2023, 02:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Quote from: dismalist on April 01, 2023, 05:34:49 PM
Part of the reason that Sweden can make tertiary education cheap is that it's rationed by quality of student. It's a myth that Sweden educates a greater share of it cohorts in college and university education than the United States. In the 20-24 year age cohort, in Sweden it's 28% while in the US it's 36%.

Internationally comparable data from the OECD https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?datasetcode=EAG_ENRL_RATE_AGE#

I am always astounded at wishes that somebody else pay for the benefits to be received by those being educated [and those doing the educating].

I am less astounded by the widespread misunderstanding of the Nordic welfare states. Their middle classes pay a higher share of taxes than in the US and their safety nets are characterized by, well, tough love.

Expand on "tough love."

dismalist

Here's the substance of the end of my statement, again:

QuoteWhen we get to some social sciences and humanities one can argue that there are negative externalitites! :-) I won't, but I will say that on these boards there is much complaint of too many people in the humanities at very low wages. And that, in part, is a result of already too generous government policy toward higher education. But there is absolutely no reason to subsidize this factor of production called students.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

dismalist

Quote from: Mobius on April 02, 2023, 02:34:01 PM
Quote from: dismalist on April 01, 2023, 05:34:49 PM
Part of the reason that Sweden can make tertiary education cheap is that it's rationed by quality of student. It's a myth that Sweden educates a greater share of it cohorts in college and university education than the United States. In the 20-24 year age cohort, in Sweden it's 28% while in the US it's 36%.

Internationally comparable data from the OECD https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?datasetcode=EAG_ENRL_RATE_AGE#

I am always astounded at wishes that somebody else pay for the benefits to be received by those being educated [and those doing the educating].

I am less astounded by the widespread misunderstanding of the Nordic welfare states. Their middle classes pay a higher share of taxes than in the US and their safety nets are characterized by, well, tough love.

Expand on "tough love."

Do not get unemployed in Sweden. The authorities hound you until you accept a job. Like now!

De jure Swedish unemployment funds are the ones who decide whether you get unemployment benefits and how much. Essentially, lots of discretion.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

dismalist

Quote from: downer on April 02, 2023, 03:11:16 PM
Another reason to like Sweden!

Again, nothing against insurance against the vagaries of life. However, the way this is set up, whether it's good or not, depends on whether you're the discretioner or the discredtionee! Even a golden cage is a cage.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Mobius

dismalist

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

dismalist

Quote from: dismalist on April 03, 2023, 11:01:37 AM
Quote from: Mobius on April 03, 2023, 10:41:35 AM
That's Sweden. Same in the others?

No clue. I'd guess yes.

Yeah, Denmark and Norway are similar. Both require the unemployed to take a job offer through their central job service, in Denmark no matter where in the country! You also gotta document that you are looking for a job. And bureaucracies determine how much cash you "need".

Look, none of this means that insurance against contingencies is bad. Just, the details only work in small homogeneous countries. I personally don't like them, but that's only my taste. Try forcing someone to accept a job in the US! Lawsuits as far as the eye can see.

And, we do have unemployment insurance in the US. The carrot is the cash and the stick is the time until the cash runs out. Very impersonal. I like it better.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

kaysixteen

So what exactly do Scandinavian countries do with the for lack of a better term 'long-term un(der)-employed and or essentially unemployable in the private sector people?

dismalist

Quote from: kaysixteen on April 03, 2023, 05:27:17 PM
So what exactly do Scandinavian countries do with the for lack of a better term 'long-term un(der)-employed and or essentially unemployable in the private sector people?

'Ya gott accept a job if offered, and there's pressure to accept a job.

Long term unemployment rate is low in the US in 2022 compared to others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OECD_countries_by_long-term_unemployment_rate

More interesting are labor force participation rates across countries:

https://thefora.org/index.php?action=post;quote=125947;topic=3402.15

The difference among US and the Nordics is female labor force participation, which is somewhat higher in the Nordics.

Unemployment rates in Scandinavia are not low by rich country standards, including the United States This is likely due to recent immigration.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli