News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

University Scandals

Started by spork, September 07, 2019, 10:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spork

A combination of a few thread topics from the old fora. Unfortunately much of what gets posted here will involve sex, money, or both.

MIT Media Lab's attempt to conceal money from Jeffrey Epstein. I bet Ito (Media Lab director) will be gone within a week, if he hasn't been told to resign already.

DoE fines MSU $4.5 million for letting Nassar prey on students and athletes.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mamselle

Can we combine this thread with pedanticromantic's on the same topic?

(I didn't check whose was first).

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ex_mo

I posted this in another thread, but this long article in Politico about Liberty is a lot to absorb.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/09/09/jerry-falwell-liberty-university-loans-227914

spork

Quote from: ex_mo on September 10, 2019, 07:26:23 AM
I posted this in another thread, but this long article in Politico about Liberty is a lot to absorb.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/09/09/jerry-falwell-liberty-university-loans-227914

First time I ever heard of a university employee feeling the need to purchase a burner phone to avoid surveillance.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Aster

And now Falwell is demanding criminal investigations over Liberty employees who shared emails with journalists. This seems more than a little megalomanic.

Falwell said in an exclusive interview that in the coming days the FBI will review university documents at the Lynchburg, Va., campus. He accused former colleagues of stealing school property in the form of emails and then sharing them with reporters in an effort to damage his reputation.

The FBI did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

"Our attorneys have determined that this small group of former board members and employees, they're involved in a criminal conspiracy, are working together to steal Liberty property in the form of emails and provided them to reporters," Falwell Jr. said in a phone interview.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/460699-jerry-fallwell-jr-calls-fbi-to-investigate-criminal-conspiracy-at-liberty

mouseman

Quote from: Aster on September 12, 2019, 09:07:29 AM
And now Falwell is demanding criminal investigations over Liberty employees who shared emails with journalists. This seems more than a little megalomanic.

Falwell said in an exclusive interview that in the coming days the FBI will review university documents at the Lynchburg, Va., campus. He accused former colleagues of stealing school property in the form of emails and then sharing them with reporters in an effort to damage his reputation.

"Our attorneys have determined that this small group of former board members and employees, they're involved in a criminal conspiracy, are working together to steal Liberty property in the form of emails and provided them to reporters," Falwell Jr. said in a phone interview.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/460699-jerry-fallwell-jr-calls-fbi-to-investigate-criminal-conspiracy-at-liberty

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, private attorneys cannot "determine" that individuals are involved in criminal activity. However, I guess that he really wanted to say is that he has declared it to be criminal activity and therefore it is.
"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
   As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
   By a finger entwined in his hair.

Lewis Carroll

spork

Hibush

Quote from: spork on September 13, 2019, 02:43:39 AM
More about Epstein/MIT: https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2019/09/13/mit-president-thanked-jeffrey-epstein-donation.

In a somewhat less sleazy scandal at the Medial Lab, CHE has an article* on how they have oversold their science to donors and industry investors. In this case, the technology seems to be a non-working toy version of tech that has been in use for four or five decades. There is some juicy commentary on this research-funding model by a scientist from the industry that this "innovation" was supposed to "disrupt".  She says their development model makes sense when when you see that "The Media Lab's leadership catered to a superiority fetish in exchange for cash."

*Hype vs reality at the MIT Media Lab by Nell Gluckman CHE Sept 11, 2019

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: mouseman on September 12, 2019, 04:36:46 PM

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, private attorneys cannot "determine" that individuals are involved in criminal activity. However, I guess that he really wanted to say is that he has declared it to be criminal activity and therefore it is.

This is just another scare-tactic, and a despicable one, designed to maintain control by inducing still more fear.  Actually reminds me of the old "Just you wait until your father gets home!".

ex_mo

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on September 13, 2019, 07:16:22 AM
Quote from: mouseman on September 12, 2019, 04:36:46 PM

This is just another scare-tactic, and a despicable one, designed to maintain control by inducing still more fear.  Actually reminds me of the old "Just you wait until your father gets home!".

Since when are emails "property" of an institution? I suppose I am coming from a public context where my emails are (technically) a matter of public record and could be requested through public records laws but...wow.

apl68

Quote from: Hibush on September 13, 2019, 04:28:48 AM
More about Epstein/MIT: https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2019/09/13/mit-president-thanked-jeffrey-epstein-donation.

In a somewhat less sleazy scandal at the Medial Lab, CHE has an article* on how they have oversold their science to donors and industry investors. In this case, the technology seems to be a non-working toy version of tech that has been in use for four or five decades. There is some juicy commentary on this research-funding model by a scientist from the industry that this "innovation" was supposed to "disrupt".  She says their development model makes sense when when you see that "The Media Lab's leadership catered to a superiority fetish in exchange for cash."

A TED Talk emperor is found to be a nudist.  Who would have thought it?
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apophenia

Quote from: apl68 on September 13, 2019, 08:23:08 AM
Quote from: Hibush on September 13, 2019, 04:28:48 AM

A TED Talk emperor is found to be a nudist.  Who would have thought it?

Astounding, his combination of hubris and weaselliness:

"I have a pretty good handle on where this field is going," Harper said. "So I talk about that. And because I'm so clear on that vision, I think people misinterpret that as reality."