News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

WVU in the NYT

Started by Langue_doc, August 21, 2023, 06:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Two recent articles in the NYT:

QuoteSlashing Its Budget, West Virginia University Asks, What Is Essential?
The state's flagship school will no longer teach world languages or creative writing — a sign, its president says, of the future at many public universities.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/18/us/west-virginia-university-budget-cuts-deficit.html?searchResultPosition=1

QuoteWhat Just Happened at West Virginia University Should Worry All of Us
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/20/opinion/west-virginia-university-cuts.html

Anselm

With the entire nation binge watching Netflix shows you would think that there would be more interest in creative writing.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

mythbuster

Look at the writer's strike. No way would anyone go into creative writing right now.

RatGuy

Quote from: mythbuster on August 23, 2023, 01:02:38 PMLook at the writer's strike. No way would anyone go into creative writing right now.

I always assumed that Creative Writing was always going to be one of those majors that withstood market forces. Creative writer kids are gonna major in creative writing because that's who they are.

dismalist

I had occasion to know about a Writing major. It was always on the verge of getting closed down. Many additional specialized bits were attempted to save it. None succeeded. I always suggested a program in Grant Writing. Thankfully, it wasn't tried.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Langue_doc

Now that we have ChatGPT ...

dismalist

Quote from: dismalist on August 23, 2023, 02:33:13 PMI had occasion to know about a Writing major. It was always on the verge of getting closed down. Many additional specialized bits were attempted to save it. None succeeded. I always suggested a program in Grant Writing. Thankfully, it wasn't tried.

Quote from: Langue_doc on August 24, 2023, 04:58:42 AMNow that we have ChatGPT ...

Thank goodness I failed in giving advice. Apparently, grant applications are being automated. Here's instructions for non-profits

Auto grants for non-profits

Now we just need so-called AI to determine who gets the cash. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Hibush

Quote from: dismalist on September 24, 2023, 02:04:40 PM
Quote from: dismalist on August 23, 2023, 02:33:13 PMI had occasion to know about a Writing major. It was always on the verge of getting closed down. Many additional specialized bits were attempted to save it. None succeeded. I always suggested a program in Grant Writing. Thankfully, it wasn't tried.

Quote from: Langue_doc on August 24, 2023, 04:58:42 AMNow that we have ChatGPT ...

Thank goodness I failed in giving advice. Apparently, grant applications are being automated. Here's instructions for non-profits

Auto grants for non-profits

Now we just need so-called AI to determine who gets the cash. :-)

An AI grant revew panel would work very quickly, reduing the enormous time lag between application and award decision. If the same training set is used on the writing AI and the reviewing AI, the process would become very efficient. The award percentage would get depressingly low though.