Vegas shooter who killed 3 was professor who recently applied for job at UNLV

Started by marshwiggle, December 07, 2023, 09:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larix

Quote from: Hegemony on December 08, 2023, 06:56:13 PM
Quote from: lightning on December 08, 2023, 03:09:47 PMHe was 67. That's retirement age. Why in the world would he try to get a job, after 16 years at a public compass point university. Between SS and whatever retirement plan he had at a regional public, it should be enough that he wouldn't need a job at the age of 67.

Only thirteen years at a job that probably didn't pay all that well would not be enough to take one comfortably into retirement, I would think. I'd guess he went for an academic job because that's the thing he could do. It's unclear what he did for the six (?) years between his last job ending and this year. Maybe used up his savings. He sounds as if he was not that good at handling life, and his thinking was not that balanced, and he was getting desperate, so you have it. Many men in our culture externalize their fear and despair into violence.

He apparently was an adjunct faculty member at Roseman University in Henderson in their MBA program until they discontinued the program in June 2022.

Ruralguy

That might explain why he was in the Vegas area, or at least explain some employment he got once he decided to move there. I guess there doesn't need to be a real reason. Its not as if he's the only dude who wanted to move to Vegas (I'm not into it).

ciao_yall

Ruralguy

Hibush

The publication list was what one might conservatively call "well padded".  The few actual journal articles were often in The American Academy of Business Journal. That journal site looks unlike any journal site I have seen, legit or dodgy. Is it a predatory journal? A team effort by an outsider group of business professors? An unpleasant hallucination?

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Caracal on December 08, 2023, 10:46:08 AM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on December 08, 2023, 10:27:53 AM
Quote from: Langue_doc on December 08, 2023, 07:08:34 AMHow did he last 16 years at East Carolina University?

The publishing bar in terms of quantity isn't that high there. Once tenured, I'm guessing from what students said he was chatty, not a really hard grader and seemed just odd. He also did a ton of service work.

I'm guessing that he left as something went too far. He almost certainly was dinged at UNLV for being in rank that long with few pubs, and I'm guessing also the ECU recs were not great.

The news articles I've seen have said that ECU said he was an assistant Professor, which doesn't really make that much sense? Can you be a non tenure track assistant professor?

He was a tenured associate professor at ECU.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 09, 2023, 08:35:39 AMHe was mentally ill, based on the crazy postings.

Full stop.

This is the problem with looking for origin stories or rationales in these most terrible instances. 

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

MarathonRunner

Do people regularly put conference attendance on their CVs? I only list conferences that I have presented or had a poster at.

Hegemony

Quote from: Hibush on December 09, 2023, 11:51:45 AMThe publication list was what one might conservatively call "well padded".  The few actual journal articles were often in The American Academy of Business Journal. That journal site looks unlike any journal site I have seen, legit or dodgy. Is it a predatory journal? A team effort by an outsider group of business professors? An unpleasant hallucination?

Wow, that journal website is almost hallucinatory. It screams "scammy predatory journal," whether it is one or not.

lightning

Quote from: larix on December 08, 2023, 09:46:07 PM
Quote from: Hegemony on December 08, 2023, 06:56:13 PM
Quote from: lightning on December 08, 2023, 03:09:47 PMHe was 67. That's retirement age. Why in the world would he try to get a job, after 16 years at a public compass point university. Between SS and whatever retirement plan he had at a regional public, it should be enough that he wouldn't need a job at the age of 67.

Only thirteen years at a job that probably didn't pay all that well would not be enough to take one comfortably into retirement, I would think. I'd guess he went for an academic job because that's the thing he could do. It's unclear what he did for the six (?) years between his last job ending and this year. Maybe used up his savings. He sounds as if he was not that good at handling life, and his thinking was not that balanced, and he was getting desperate, so you have it. Many men in our culture externalize their fear and despair into violence.

He apparently was an adjunct faculty member at Roseman University in Henderson in their MBA program until they discontinued the program in June 2022.

It is possible that he spent down his retirement during his adjunct years or gambled it away.

Where did people find his CV?

Ruralguy

Seems possible (although, as we said before, it seems likely he really didn't have much to gamble).

I suppose he could have done something stupid like cash out his 403b, which maybe had a couple of hundred thousand, take the penalties, and then gamble, thinking he had "a system."   Brilliant business professor there.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: MarathonRunner on December 09, 2023, 03:32:14 PMDo people regularly put conference attendance on their CVs? I only list conferences that I have presented or had a poster at.

No, most people only put presentations on their CVs.  That is padding on padding.  This guy definitely had some self-esteem issues.

jimbogumbo

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: jimbogumbo on December 10, 2023, 12:33:24 PM
Quote from: lightning on December 10, 2023, 06:26:11 AMWhere did people find his CV?

I posted a link to it from a CNN story.

www.tonypolito.com

It's in there.  Note the extraordinary mass of random extraneous crap.  This guy was definitely a manic.     

lightning

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on December 10, 2023, 02:22:55 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on December 10, 2023, 12:33:24 PM
Quote from: lightning on December 10, 2023, 06:26:11 AMWhere did people find his CV?

I posted a link to it from a CNN story.

www.tonypolito.com

It's in there.  Note the extraordinary mass of random extraneous crap.  This guy was definitely a manic.     

thanks. I missed it the first time around.

the tripod template and the baby blue background color . . .