Liberal MPs ask universities if calling for genocide of Jews violates codes

Started by marshwiggle, December 15, 2023, 05:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kron3007

Quote from: marshwiggle on December 22, 2023, 05:04:57 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on December 21, 2023, 04:39:17 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 21, 2023, 03:25:29 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on December 21, 2023, 02:55:07 PM
Quote from: marshwiggle on December 21, 2023, 09:08:02 AMI think we're pretty much on the same page about this. I'm trying to remember the last time there was a "swift and forceful" response to protesters of any sort.

You just need to keep up, Marshy, instead of living in your confirmation bias.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_police_violence_incidents_during_George_Floyd_protests

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/police-cease-fire-protesters-blame-violent-clash-dnc/story?id=104943694

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/29/us/tyre-nichols-protests-sunday/index.html

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2023/10/portland-expected-to-pay-300k-to-settle-2020-police-brutality-lawsuit-by-protester.html

And so on...

In fairness, I think marshwiggle meant in Canada. Depending on just what counts as 'forceful', we might even agree.

Fair enough.  The Marshman comments often on US events, particularly university events.

As Para said, I was talking about the Canadian situation, where we have fewer and smaller right-wing protest groups, so most of the protests that get on the news are from the left. As I indicated, many are related to Indigenous issues, which adds a complete extra layer of awkwardness in how to deal with them.

Really?  Are we living in the same Canada?  I would argue that the indigenous protests are not really left or right, they are something on their own.  Outside of that I dont see many lefty protests, or at least they tend to be pretty subdued.

The ones I hear about include the trucker convoy and all sorts of anti-LGBT...+++ rallies.   

marshwiggle

Quote from: Kron3007 on December 22, 2023, 09:06:10 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on December 22, 2023, 05:04:57 AMAs Para said, I was talking about the Canadian situation, where we have fewer and smaller right-wing protest groups, so most of the protests that get on the news are from the left. As I indicated, many are related to Indigenous issues, which adds a complete extra layer of awkwardness in how to deal with them.

Really?  Are we living in the same Canada?  I would argue that the indigenous protests are not really left or right, they are something on their own.  Outside of that I dont see many lefty protests, or at least they tend to be pretty subdued.

Most of the popular support for the various Indigenous protests comes from the left; things like blockades of rail lines get much more sympathy from the left than the right.

QuoteThe ones I hear about include the trucker convoy and all sorts of anti-LGBT...+++ rallies.   

Many, if not most, of the "anti-LGBT...+++ rallies" seem to be counter-protests to "pro-LGBT...+++ rallies". Do you have some examples of the former that were unaccompanied by the latter, (or planned before the latter)? The trucker convoy, and various anti-vax rallies during COVID were especially newsworthy because they were from the right. And all of those were not received at all sympathetically by the media.

It takes so little to be above average.

Kron3007

Quote from: marshwiggle on December 22, 2023, 10:06:38 AM
Quote from: Kron3007 on December 22, 2023, 09:06:10 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on December 22, 2023, 05:04:57 AMAs Para said, I was talking about the Canadian situation, where we have fewer and smaller right-wing protest groups, so most of the protests that get on the news are from the left. As I indicated, many are related to Indigenous issues, which adds a complete extra layer of awkwardness in how to deal with them.

Most of the popular support for the various Indigenous protests comes from the left; things like blockades of rail lines get much more sympathy from the left than the right.

QuoteThe ones I hear about include the trucker convoy and all sorts of anti-LGBT...+++ rallies.   

Many, if not most, of the "anti-LGBT...+++ rallies" seem to be counter-protests to "pro-LGBT...+++ rallies". Do you have some examples of the former that were unaccompanied by the latter, (or planned before the latter)? The trucker convoy, and various anti-vax rallies during COVID were especially newsworthy because they were from the right. And all of those were not received at all sympathetically by the media.

Sure indigenous issues have more support from the left, but that is not the same thing as it being the left initiating protests.

As for protests from the right on LGBT issues, the recent million March for Children comes to mind.