News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Plagiarism at Harvard

Started by Langue_doc, December 21, 2023, 07:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: apl68 on February 01, 2024, 07:41:00 AM
Quote from: Langue_doc on January 31, 2024, 11:23:11 AMThese are the folks who require professors
QuoteJanuary 30, 2024, 10:32:33 AM
to tell them about my deliberate efforts at Justice, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (JDEIB). I don't actively do anything other than try to treat folks fairly and not be an asshole.

See the JDEIB thread. It's perfectly legit to plagiraize as long as you use the right buzz words to virtue signal your anti-racist accomplishments.

I really do wonder whether this branch of academia hasn't developed a tendency to let ideology trump academic standards.  I wish the fact that many of the charges being leveled are, as others have pointed out, being made in bad faith wasn't obscuring what may be a real story here.

Re "bun fights" (Which sounds like a specialized form of cafeteria food fight):  Years ago, on an entirely different forum, I heard this sort of thing referred to as "slap fights."

"bun fight" actually has a dictionary definition.

(idiomatic) A debate or disagreement, usually with several parties involved, often political in nature.

(chiefly UK, slang) A formal tea party or other social gathering, especially one at which food is served.

Related terms
tea fight

So Brits were having nice tea parties, and then someone brought up some controversial tops, and the party devolved into a bun fight.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on February 01, 2024, 08:59:03 AM"bun fight" actually has a dictionary definition.

(idiomatic) A debate or disagreement, usually with several parties involved, often political in nature.

(chiefly UK, slang) A formal tea party or other social gathering, especially one at which food is served.

Related terms
tea fight

So Brits were having nice tea parties, and then someone brought up some controversial tops, and the party devolved into a bun fight.

Well, on the other side of the pond, tea parties have a history of getting pretty intense.
It takes so little to be above average.

secundem_artem

Withdrawn.

Others have defined the term above.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances