Main Menu

IHE: Arizona St Partners with ChatGPT

Started by Wahoo Redux, January 20, 2024, 09:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Sun_Worshiper

The article does not offer much, beyond that it will be freely available to faculty and students. Since it is only $20 a month anyway, this is not particularly meaningful on its face. Presumably the benefit to OpenAI is that they can train models based on how ASU folks are using it.

I'm sure there will be partnerships with more universities announced soon.

hmaria1609

While at American Library Assoc. (ALA) LibLearnX 2024, I attended a panel discussion called "AI & Libraries" this afternoon. This was mentioned by one of the panelists.

Parasaurolophus

Oh, fucking great.

Meanwhile, I just got another AI-generated student email. And man, it sure makes me feel like shit. At least with ordinary spam I don't have to read it or do anything about it or reply to it as though it were a human being. But here, I very much feel reduced to just another thing in the student's life (as opposed to a person).
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 21, 2024, 11:11:44 PMOh, fucking great.

Meanwhile, I just got another AI-generated student email. And man, it sure makes me feel like shit. At least with ordinary spam I don't have to read it or do anything about it or reply to it as though it were a human being. But here, I very much feel reduced to just another thing in the student's life (as opposed to a person).

So did you send an AI-generated response?
It takes so little to be above average.

apl68

Quote from: hmaria1609 on January 21, 2024, 07:41:49 PMWhile at American Library Assoc. (ALA) LibLearnX 2024, I attended a panel discussion called "AI & Libraries" this afternoon. This was mentioned by one of the panelists.

Any useful takeaways?
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Sun_Worshiper

I use AI most days for some task or another, including writing emails, so I really can't get upset with students for doing the same. I worry about students using it as a crutch for their writing assignments, of course, but I'm all for letting it do mundane activities like drafting emails.

Anyway, many (probably most) students are already using it, so it isn't like this partnership is introducing AI to students.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: marshwiggle on January 22, 2024, 06:51:17 AM

I'm sorely tempted, though that would take a lot more effort on my part than just answering. And I think the lesson would be lost on them.

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on January 22, 2024, 09:23:45 AMI use AI most days for some task or another, including writing emails, so I really can't get upset with students for doing the same. I worry about students using it as a crutch for their writing assignments, of course, but I'm all for letting it do mundane activities like drafting emails.

Ugh. In particular, what I resent is the pushiness/total obliviousness of our relationship that comes through. The result is invariably a demanding and entitled tone, like an employer telling someone that they fucked up and had better fix it, but under a veneer of weird obsequiousness. I hate it. Especially since it's the student who fucked something up and is now begging my indulgence.

I would also hate to receive an AI-generated apology.
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 22, 2024, 10:29:40 AM

I'm sorely tempted, though that would take a lot more effort on my part than just answering. And I think the lesson would be lost on them.

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on January 22, 2024, 09:23:45 AMI use AI most days for some task or another, including writing emails, so I really can't get upset with students for doing the same. I worry about students using it as a crutch for their writing assignments, of course, but I'm all for letting it do mundane activities like drafting emails.

Ugh. In particular, what I resent is the pushiness/total obliviousness of our relationship that comes through. The result is invariably a demanding and entitled tone, like an employer telling someone that they fucked up and had better fix it, but under a veneer of weird obsequiousness. I hate it. Especially since it's the student who fucked something up and is now begging my indulgence.

I'd guess that will pretty much sound like what politicians, celebrities, and other bigwigs have given forever.
It takes so little to be above average.

apl68

Quote from: marshwiggle on January 22, 2024, 11:25:03 AM

I'd guess that will pretty much sound like what politicians, celebrities, and other bigwigs have given forever.

Was just thinking the same thing.  Institutional-style boilerplate apologies would probably be one of the simplest things to automate.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: marshwiggle on January 22, 2024, 11:25:03 AM

Yes. And I disapprove of it from them, too--but at least it's not directed to me personally. I'm talking about personal communications.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

That sounds obnoxious, but I would separate that facet of it from the role of AI, which can write a perfectly pleasant email. Of course, nobody should just fire off an AI generated email without reading/editing it, including for tone, but that sounds more like a problem with the user than with the technology.

Btw, you are perfectly within your rights to use AI to respond. You might find that it saves you a little time and hassle.

Parasaurolophus

I mean, yes, it's a problem with the user rather than the AI. So's the problem with cheating using AI. But that's the thing. That's who's using it, how they're using it, and what they're using it for. There just isn't ever likely to be any more careful use of it on their end, because that's not compatible with their reasons for using it.

As for me, I refuse to use it for personal communications. First, because I think it's disrespectful to do so, and second, because it wouldn't save me any time or energy on that front (it takes me less time to type 'I'm afraid that's not possible' or 'sure, that's fine' and the like than to generate the prompt). Mass communication is a different matter, because it doesn't have the same presuppositions attached.
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 22, 2024, 11:03:05 PMI mean, yes, it's a problem with the user rather than the AI. So's the problem with cheating using AI. But that's the thing. That's who's using it, how they're using it, and what they're using it for. There just isn't ever likely to be any more careful use of it on their end, because that's not compatible with their reasons for using it.

Or to put it another way, artificial intelligence is a problem when people try to use it as a substitute for the real thing.

QuoteAs for me, I refuse to use it for personal communications. First, because I think it's disrespectful to do so, and second, because it wouldn't save me any time or energy on that front (it takes me less time to type 'I'm afraid that's not possible' or 'sure, that's fine' and the like than to generate the prompt). Mass communication is a different matter, because it doesn't have the same presuppositions attached.

Pretty much my thoughts about it.  I'd be very annoyed if I got AI-generated e-mails addressed to me personally--as opposed to the sorts of form communications that have already looked computer-generated for years anyway.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: apl68 on January 23, 2024, 07:15:46 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 22, 2024, 11:03:05 PMI mean, yes, it's a problem with the user rather than the AI. So's the problem with cheating using AI. But that's the thing. That's who's using it, how they're using it, and what they're using it for. There just isn't ever likely to be any more careful use of it on their end, because that's not compatible with their reasons for using it.

Or to put it another way, artificial intelligence is a problem when people try to use it as a substitute for the real thing.

QuoteAs for me, I refuse to use it for personal communications. First, because I think it's disrespectful to do so, and second, because it wouldn't save me any time or energy on that front (it takes me less time to type 'I'm afraid that's not possible' or 'sure, that's fine' and the like than to generate the prompt). Mass communication is a different matter, because it doesn't have the same presuppositions attached.

Pretty much my thoughts about it.  I'd be very annoyed if I got AI-generated e-mails addressed to me personally--as opposed to the sorts of form communications that have already looked computer-generated for years anyway.

I get it, to a point. Like I would never use AI to write a love letter to my wife, but I don't see anything wrong with using it for a message about logistics to a colleague or student.