News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Cal State Faculty Strike

Started by Langue_doc, January 22, 2024, 02:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

QuoteCal State Faculty Begin Largest U.S. Strike of University Professors
Thousands of professors, lecturers and other academic staff members walked off the job in a protest that was expected to cancel most classes early in the academic period. They plan to strike for five days.

apl68

I would think that most unions would be glad for an offer of 5% increases over each of the next three years.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: apl68 on January 22, 2024, 02:43:29 PMI would think that most unions would be glad for an offer of 5% increases over each of the next three years.

I don't think that really cuts it in California, however. 

I do not blame the academics involved in the least, but this is a bad time all around to strike. 

QuoteUniversity leaders said the system already spends 75 percent of its operating budget on staff compensation and cannot afford to increase salaries at that level. The California State University Board of Trustees last year approved 6 percent annual tuition increases over five years because system officials said they could not balance their budget otherwise.

"If we were to agree to the increase that these unions are demanding, we would have to make severe cuts to programs," Leora Freedman, the university system's vice chancellor for human resources, said in a news conference on Friday. "We would have to lay off employees — this would jeopardize our educational mission." She added that the system had recently agreed on 5 percent pay increases with six other labor unions.

The only thing I can think to say is that this is yet another illustration of how badly funded academia is and how badly designed the corporate structure of academia is. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Langue_doc

The strike's over.
QuoteCal State Professors Reach Tentative Deal to End Strike

The relevant paragraphs from the article:
QuoteThe California State University system and the union representing thousands of professors and lecturers reached a tentative deal on Monday to raise wages, ending what was the largest strike by university faculty members in U.S. history.

The deal, announced by both sides on Monday night, came just hours after the California Faculty Association, the union that represents 29,000 professors, lecturers, librarians, counselors and coaches, began what was planned as a five-day walkout across the 23 C.S.U. campuses, which serve nearly 460,000 students.

The tentative deal means that faculty at the nation's largest four-year public university system will return to work on Tuesday, union officials said.