News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Academic Fraud Clearinghouse

Started by spork, March 05, 2024, 02:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: spork on April 16, 2024, 02:20:05 AMDipak Panigrahy, Harvard Medical School, submitted 500 pages of plagiarized word salad as expert testimony in a federal class action lawsuit. The judge rejected it.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2024/4/15/hms-professor-plagiarized-report/ 

More egg on Harvard's face.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: apl68 on April 16, 2024, 07:43:33 AM
Quote from: spork on April 16, 2024, 02:20:05 AMDipak Panigrahy, Harvard Medical School, submitted 500 pages of plagiarized word salad as expert testimony in a federal class action lawsuit. The judge rejected it.

Sounds like it is not plagiarism in the truest sense (he cited his sources), but a hack job in which he cut-n-pasted large sections of other people's real scientific work without proper identification, so it looked like valid original research, and cherry-picking what he found to reach a solution convenient to his client.

I've wondered why out court system allows this version of paid "expert opinion" in the courtroom.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 17, 2024, 08:06:15 PM

Sounds like it is not plagiarism in the truest sense (he cited his sources), but a hack job in which he cut-n-pasted large sections of other people's real scientific work without proper identification, so it looked like valid original research, and cherry-picking what he found to reach a solution convenient to his client.

I've wondered why out court system allows this version of paid "expert opinion" in the courtroom.

By that definition, I could write a paper listing 3 sources, properly cite one quotation from each source, and then cut-and-paste everything else to my heart's content and argue it's "not plagiarism in the truest sense".

Not buying it.

It takes so little to be above average.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 18, 2024, 05:05:10 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 17, 2024, 08:06:15 PM

By that definition, I could write a paper listing 3 sources, properly cite one quotation from each source, and then cut-and-paste everything else to my heart's content and argue it's "not plagiarism in the truest sense".

Not buying it.

Okay, Marshy.  I appreciate your expert opinion.

spork

Md. Jannatul Ferdaus, Ezzine Chukwu-Munsen, and Roberta Claro da Silva of NC A&T University plagiarized the dissertation of Solange Saxby for an article in the MDPI journal Nutrients.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

kaysixteen

If these people have tenure at their schools, will there be any appreciable consequences for their demonstrated plagiarism in this or similar cases?

RatGuy

Quote from: kaysixteen on June 08, 2024, 10:43:40 AMIf these people have tenure at their schools, will there be any appreciable consequences for their demonstrated plagiarism in this or similar cases?

From what I understand, Claro Da Silva is an assistant prof, and the other two are (or were) grad students. It looks like there hasn't been much movement on the university's side of things, but that doesn't mean that the T&P case for Clara da Silva won't be contentious as a result

jimbogumbo

Quote from: spork on June 07, 2024, 01:18:30 PMMd. Jannatul Ferdaus, Ezzine Chukwu-Munsen, and Roberta Claro da Silva of NC A&T University plagiarized the dissertation of Solange Saxby for an article in the MDPI journal Nutrients.

From the Retraction Watch article:

"To her dismay, the paper "Taro Roots: An Underexploited Root Crop," co-authored by researchers at North Carolina A&T State University in Greensboro, North Carolina, overlaps significantly with Saxby's work, including some passages of word-for-word copying with no citation. 

While the corresponding author of the paper has called the omission of any citation to Saxby's work "unfortunate" and said that she is working with Nutrients' publisher – MDPI – to add one, the publisher said the behavior did not amount to plagiarism because the prior work was a thesis."

So plagiarism of a thesis isn't "plagiarism"? News to me.

RatGuy

Quote from: jimbogumbo on June 08, 2024, 02:18:29 PM
Quote from: spork on June 07, 2024, 01:18:30 PMMd. Jannatul Ferdaus, Ezzine Chukwu-Munsen, and Roberta Claro da Silva of NC A&T University plagiarized the dissertation of Solange Saxby for an article in the MDPI journal Nutrients.

From the Retraction Watch article:

"To her dismay, the paper "Taro Roots: An Underexploited Root Crop," co-authored by researchers at North Carolina A&T State University in Greensboro, North Carolina, overlaps significantly with Saxby's work, including some passages of word-for-word copying with no citation. 

While the corresponding author of the paper has called the omission of any citation to Saxby's work "unfortunate" and said that she is working with Nutrients' publisher – MDPI – to add one, the publisher said the behavior did not amount to plagiarism because the prior work was a thesis."

So plagiarism of a thesis isn't "plagiarism"? News to me.

They have since changed their tune, saying that dissertations are published material and can therefore be plagiarized. They also say that only 1% of the material seems word-for-word, and a lot of it is widely accepted information so therefore can't be plagiarized.

Saxby hasn't commented since this reversal, probably because her head exploded out of frustration

Hibush

Grad students often write a literature review on their research topic before they do the research project. That is a good practice, and serves to inform conversatinons with their advisor on research approaches. These days, we see those reviews published by willing presses like MDPI.

Review articles are valuable when they are written by one of the leaders of a field, someone with a broad perspective. The student articles tend to be the quality of a term paper by a new grad student. They are not worth anyone's time to read.

The student articles' primary purpose is to add a cv line that establishes a misleading record of scholarship. To me, that action is far more serious misconduct than whether some of the junk in the article is insufficiently referenced.

spork

Richard Eckert, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the University of Maryland, Baltimore, faked results for all of his NIH-funded research projects, wasting nearly $20 million in taxpayer money:

https://ori.hhs.gov/content/case-summary-eckert-richard-l.

https://retractionwatch.com/2024/08/13/former-maryland-dept-chair-with-19-million-in-grants-faked-data-in-13-papers-feds-say/

This kind of fraud really should be prosecuted criminally, with a prison sentence as a potential punishment.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

kaysixteen

Ruralguy

It is criminal fraud. He defrauded the US government. They could probably build a case if they wanted to , but I have the feeling such cases almost always get pre-prosecution diversions in a deal with the school and the investigator. Any legal scholars or others with knowledge of such matters?

dismalist

Boil them in oil! For stupidity. Don't they know how to fake data you can trust?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Wahoo Redux

QuoteEckert agreed to forgo contracting with the federal government or receiving government funding for eight years, longer than the three-year bans or supervision periods that ORI typically imposes. Eckert also agreed not to serve on any advisory or peer review committees for the U.S. Public Health Service, which includes the NIH, for eight years.

That'll show him.