News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Ummmm....hot turnovers with melty ice cream..

Bliss.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on February 23, 2022, 07:39:43 PM
Ummmm....hot turnovers with melty ice cream..

Bliss.

M.

It was very good. Raised my spirits.

mamselle

I prescribe more, anytime you need it.

Calories will be subtracted by the elves and fairies in charge of the "Good Feeling Through Tasty Food" department.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

I dont know where else to post this... I was reading another site (I trust that is not a sin to read a cruising related board).  There was a discussion that peanut butter cookies were not available on the buffet or at some other location as they had been. The posting person noted that the wait staff reported that they were out of the 'mix'. 
Then someone posted this site indicating that it takes only 3 ingredients to make peanut butter cookies:

https://barefeetinthekitchen.com/old-fashioned-peanut-butter-cookie-recipe/comment-page-63/

Is this true? 
In my youth, I helped my father make cookies for Christmas gifts (with REAL butter and all - for the Toll House cookies in particular). (I seem to recall that it would have been cheaper to buy them some 'premium cookies at a bakery).  I seem to remember making peanut butter cookies as well, and I think that we used flour, but I may be confused as it was nearly 50 years ago!!

Anyone care to comment on a 3 ingredient peanut butter cookie recipe?    (IF I had peanut butter at home, I would try it tonight!  but Im sure that is the key ingredient and I am pretty sure it is not in the cabinet). 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

No idea, I can't eat peanut butter anymore!

Sorry!
-----------

My dinner was soooo filling and satisfying....I did a batch of curry yesterday and the spices always 'settle' best after a night in the fridge....definitely the case here.

I toasted quarters of corn tortilla since papadam wasn't possible, and had a Pirondelle baton as my delicacy for dessert.

Oh, and hot tea, of course.

Stuffed and happy...

M.

dismalist

To put this on the thread where it belongs:

Quote from: Istiblennius on May 06, 2022, 10:25:08 AM

Do they still make Rice-A-Roni?

I ate that for dinner probably three nights a week in grad school.

Yes.

I still eat it once or twice per month. Lean ground beef sautéed, then beef flavored  Rice-A-Roni on top, to cook for 15 minutes. I recommend using only a little over half the recommended quantity of water. Then it's a tad softer than al dente.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ab_grp

I used to love "the San Francisco treat"! I'm glad to hear that it's still around.

We have to adjust diets due to a high blood sugar result and are picking up some tools to help.  One such tool is a spiralizer.  As I've mentioned here before, our youngest is a vegetarian who doesn't really eat many vegetables but does like pasta, so that is a once- or twice-per-week go-to when we have them here with us.  Now we are avoiding pasta until my husband's blood sugar gets consistently under control and will probably minimize it going forward, so while the vegetarian can go ahead and eat regular pasta I am trying to avoid having to make different meals for different people and am exploring vegetable-based alternatives.  I would be grateful for any tips on spiralizing or favorite zoodle or other spiralized veggie "pasta" recipes.  I searched the thread but did not see any mention of zoodle or spiralizer.  Any favorite low-carb/sugar recipes would be great!

Langue_doc

You've probably tried substituting spaghetti squash for pasta--thought I'd mention it just in case. Just bake, scoop with a fork, and voila pasta!

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! We just got started on this journey so haven't even tried substituting for pasta yet, just avoiding it altogether.  I forgot about spaghetti squash! That is a great idea.  I guess we will find out, but do particular veggie "pastas" go better with different sauces? Or taste less obviously veggie? We are going to try the spiralizer with zucchini and pesto tomorrow for lunch and also picked up some Green Giant zoodles to try.

Langue_doc

ab_grp, spaghetti squash goes well with the traditional meat-based sauces. I haven't tried adding pesto or pairing it with cheese or cream-based sauces. Acorn squash might also work well; I just cut them in slices (across so you get rings) and bake them, usually with just salt/pepper and maple syrup brushed on top. I've also had squash stuffed with ground meat.

I haven't used spiralizers as I like my vegetables to look like vegetables, but have made pancakes with zucchini and feta.

Good luck with your new (and quite healthy) diets!

sinenomine

I love spiralizing zucchini — very quick and easy, and I find it to be more satisfying than pasta.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

Lunch, small spinach salad, and a *combo of roasted batons of Polish sausage, potatoes cubes, mushrooms slices, a tiny bit of barbecue sauce and rubbed black pepper, basil, and Herbes de Provence.

One square of Ghirardelli's 72% chocolate for dessert.

Mmmmmm.

* Based on an Early American video--the most restful cooking show on the planet--no patter, just the clatter of the Dutch oven, skillet, and other lids on tasty receipts from the early 1800, shown as cut-outs from period books and newspapers at the end.

secundem_artem

Pasta with fresh ramps, fancy mushrooms, grape tomatoes and parmesan cheese. 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

mamselle

(Puzzled look).....sounds good, but...

What are 'ramps' ?

M.

dismalist

Quote from: mamselle on May 07, 2022, 02:12:30 PM
(Puzzled look).....sounds good, but...

What are 'ramps' ?

M.

Ramps are leeks. I had to google. My misreading was shrimp for ramps.

Recipe with leeks and protein sounds great!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli