News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The TV Series Thread (Fall/Winter 2023)

Started by hmaria1609, October 29, 2023, 07:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

We finished The Expanse yesterday and both thought it was very good.  It sounds as though Season 6 was the end for good, unfortunately.  It left some storylines unresolved, but I think it was at a reasonable stopping point.  There are some differences between the books and the show, but overall it kept to it pretty faithfully.  One big difference, I think, was the emergence of some characters in the show who played more minor roles in the books.  I thought that one really stole the show, and I would have voted for them to be ruler of the universe.  I hadn't realized that one of the main actors got in trouble and ended up being written out of the show, so that storyline changed a bit from the books.  Now in place of that show we are watching the new series Mr. & Mrs. Smith.  I've read that it's boring, and we've only just started, but so far so good.

hmaria1609

I watched "All Creatures Great and Small" season 4 finale last night. With the war going, Darrowby's Christmas celebration has a different feel. The Skeldale House residents celebrate at the Drovers. James does make it home and gets to see his newborn son.
No announcement about season 5 for the show. Sigh.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 14, 2024, 03:03:06 PMWe're four or five episodes into the new season of True Detective. So far it has been great. The actors are terrific all around and it is especially nice to see Jodie Foster in top form. There are probably half a dozen or so episodes to go, so we'll see if it holds up, but for now I have nothing but good things to say.

Apparently there was only one episode to go - and we watched it last night. I liked it a lot (the final episode and the season as a whole). My wife was less enthusiastic, so YMMV.

Wahoo Redux

Finally watched the HBO Chernobyl.  Engrossing if very grim.  The casting is amazing when you look at the actual people involved----not typical of American casting.  Highly recommend.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Sun_Worshiper

We watched From, on Amazon/MGM+. It is sort of like The Walking Dead and, like that show, the first season was quite good, but the second not so much. I don't think we'll tune in for a third season if there is one.

Last night I watched the first two (of six) episodes of We Own This City, from many of the minds behind The Wire - which I love. So far, so good.

ab_grp

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on March 17, 2024, 09:40:42 AMFinally watched the HBO Chernobyl.  Engrossing if very grim.  The casting is amazing when you look at the actual people involved----not typical of American casting.  Highly recommend.

Totally agree, this was amazing!

We finished season 1 of Doctor Who (2005- series).  I had been avoiding it.  I have vague memories of my dad watching it when I was a kid, but I thought it was creepy and weird.  I still think it is, but I have to admit that it has grown on me a bit, and I am interested to see what the next doctor (David Tennant) does with the role.  Christopher Eccleston was great in The Leftovers but was just way too much of a muppet in this.  I read about why he left the show, though, and he seems like a good person, so I hate to say that.  The Daleks are my favorite so far.

Speaking of Doctors, several in that role and others from the show were in another recent season 1 we watched, Broadchurch.  I had seen it before but was bowled over by it again, and my husband was as well.  That one is about a small town in the UK where there has been a murder of a young boy.  The local detective involved knows everyone in the town, and the lead detective assigned to the case is an outsider, so they have different perspectives and very different ways of going about the investigation.  It is a very sad story, and the acting is pretty incredible.  But back to overlap with Doctor Who, this show has David Tennant, Jodie Whittaker, and Olivia Colman in it, at the least.

Now we are watching seasons 1 of Homicide and Mr. Robot.  I have seen the latter but don't remember much about it.

hmaria1609

"Silk" on Kanopy
Maxine Peake and Rupert Penry-Jones are two barristers in a prominent London law firm.
I remember watching the 1st season on "Masterpiece" on PBS. I didn't know there were 2 more seasons of the show but they didn't broadcast here in the US.
I've spotted some familiar faces from other British contemporary and historical drama shows!

kaysixteen

Hmmmm... us old-time Gen X PBS-watching Who fans mostly (near as I can figure) just think that the 21st century reboot is just not nearly as good as the classic era Who, say Doctors 3,4, and 5.