News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

MLA grants for adjuncts affected by COVID-19

Started by polly_mer, March 31, 2020, 02:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mahagonny

So if any of these adjuncts are among the ones you hired who kicked back part of their paycheck, do you think your school might get a piece of the action?

Wahoo Redux

FINALLY!!!  The MLA comes through---only $500, but it is a good, worthwhile move.

Perhaps I will re-up.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on March 31, 2020, 06:56:12 PM
FINALLY!!!  The MLA comes through---only $500, but it is a good, worthwhile move.

Perhaps I will re-up.

If I recall correctly, you wouldn't be eligible, being full time employed. So you'd just be rejoining to be a mensch, basically. Good going, sir.

Caracal

Quote from: polly_mer on March 31, 2020, 02:47:11 PM
There are restrictions, but it may be worth a look for MLA members: https://www.mla.org/Resources/Career/MLA-Grants-and-Awards/COVID-19-Emergency-Grants

I guess the people most likely to be effected would be adjuncts who have other supplemental income sources which they might have lost? At least for the short term, adjuncts aren't losing any course pay.

mahagonny

Caracal, two of the things mentioned for eligibility have affected my income and/or workload. Additional time needed for moving the courses online and expense for equipment needed for the work that the college does not provide. I'm not losing hours and pay as of this semester; that's true. I am losing income from independent self employment work that's been canceled, but it looks like that's not one of their stated criteria. Of course most of us are not language teachers anyway, but anything that helps some in the meritorious position of working as teachers for sustenance is something I would naturally, applaud, as it not only helps people, but is a constructive thought process to be put in circulation. The lay of the land in academic culture at large is, of course, much more mixed than that; whereas, we have people on some of these online fora (and, one expects, in real life) in the recent past who hire very low paid teaching personnel, and indeed, fight any effort to sympathize with them, and then use that faction's work ethic as a smear against them, i.e. 'bad life choices.' And have gotten condoning of their virulent attitudes, here and elsewhere. So anything that offsets that, however modest, is some evolution in culture. We may even get to the cro magnon phase soon.

Quote from: Caracal on April 03, 2020, 06:22:44 AM
There are restrictions, but it may be worth a look for MLA members: https://www.mla.org/Resources/Career/MLA-Grants-and-Awards/COVID-19-Emergency-Grants

I guess the people most likely to be effected would be adjuncts who have other supplemental income sources which they might have lost? At least for the short term, adjuncts aren't losing any course pay.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on April 03, 2020, 01:49:36 AM

Perhaps I will re-up.

If I recall correctly, you wouldn't be eligible, being full time employed. So you'd just be rejoining to be a mensch, basically. Good going, sir.

Mensch?  Okay.

I did renew my membership.  I had no intention of applying for this money.  I am simply happy to see the MLA finally doing something to help its members and I sent them an email saying so.

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 03, 2020, 09:51:22 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on April 03, 2020, 01:49:36 AM

Perhaps I will re-up.

Mensch?  Okay.

I did renew my membership.  I had no intention of applying for this money.  I am simply happy to see the MLA finally doing something to help its members and I sent them an email saying so.

Small amounts of money doled out through a lottery, but by contrast I haven't been aware of a single thing the venerable AAUP has ever done for adjunct faculty.

Quote from: Caracal on April 03, 2020, 06:22:44 AM

I guess my nitpicking mind wasn't finished with your quotation here: losing income from canceled courses is a long term issue for part time faculty when one counts backward.