It's time to end the consensual hallucination of fall in-person classes

Started by polly_mer, July 02, 2020, 05:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Anselm

Good article and my comment is there using one of my aliases.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

mythbuster

Most of this is absolute truth. The part about the great trans-formative power of online courses. . .  not so much.

bio-nonymous

After reading the piece (some really good points--administration is blindly pursuing the bottom line without regard for the consequences and fallout to come) and skimming through the comments, I once again return to my mantra that online learning and even self-paced distance education is fine for some things; but the University campus is also an engine for scientific research and a place where hands-on technical skills are taught. You cannot lean to do a Western Blot with any actual skill by reading about it or even watching demonstration on YouTube--you have to physically do it--over and over again. You cannot engage in most biomedical and hard science research on your laptop at home. It seems that some of the commenters were all-in on dismantling tradition University structure and making everything online. Obviously that can't happen--if I worked at Dow Chemicals I wouldn't want to hire a new organic chemist who had never set foot in laboratory. Thinking of Technical Colleges: how do you teach autobody repair, for example, online with no opportunity for the students to actually work on cars in the shop? Who would hire these grads with no skills, only book learning?

The problem with online test cheating was brought up by a commentator as a recipe to further increase grade inflation--another prescient point. Lockdown browsers can be circumvented. The online proctoring systems (privacy concerns aside) can  be defeated by multiple screens or picture-in-picture monitor set-ups--many systems supposedly track eye movement off the screen and use an algorithm to detect cheating (doesn't work if your test is open in one picture-in-picture and you have your etextbook, or your curated notes, open in the other picture--your eyes don't leave the screen). Solutions? Maybe online learning and then in-person standard proctored tests with social distancing? I don't know what to think.

writingprof

For what it's worth, I refuse to suspect, spot, hear rumors of, or be troubled by cheating until regular in-person classes resume. In person, I can gauge the potential political fallout of a cheating accusation. Online, I find it far more difficult to do so. Thus, it's in my interest to make no such accusations for the time being, as I might inadvertently accuse a student whose identity confers upon him or her the power to destroy me.

But, yeah, the fall in-person thing seems increasingly unlikely. I'm certainly waiting until much later in the summer to make my syllabi.

TreadingLife

Quote from: writingprof on July 07, 2020, 02:28:11 PM
For what it's worth, I refuse to suspect, spot, hear rumors of, or be troubled by cheating until regular in-person classes resume. In person, I can gauge the potential political fallout of a cheating accusation. Online, I find it far more difficult to do so. Thus, it's in my interest to make no such accusations for the time being, as I might inadvertently accuse a student whose identity confers upon him or her the power to destroy me.

But, yeah, the fall in-person thing seems increasingly unlikely. I'm certainly waiting until much later in the summer to make my syllabi.

Random question, writingprof--are you tenure track/tenured or on term contracts? I don't deny the sensitive nature of accusing someone of cheating or plagiarism. I've brought many students before the honor board for cheating and I haven't once thought about the race/gender/religion/politics of the student involved. However, I would be naive to say that it wouldn't cross my mind now given our current political climate, and I am tenured.

writingprof

Quote from: TreadingLife on July 07, 2020, 02:40:54 PM

Random question, writingprof--are you tenure track/tenured or on term contracts? I don't deny the sensitive nature of accusing someone of cheating or plagiarism. I've brought many students before the honor board for cheating and I haven't once thought about the race/gender/religion/politics of the student involved. However, I would be naive to say that it wouldn't cross my mind now given our current political climate, and I am tenured.

I'm tenured.  But, come on.  Progressive faculty don't need tenure, and conservative faculty won't be saved by it.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: writingprof on July 07, 2020, 02:44:03 PM
Quote from: TreadingLife on July 07, 2020, 02:40:54 PM

Tenure saved Mike Adams plenty. And he got to retire early with $500,000.

http://www.ncpolicywatch.com/2020/07/02/pw-exclusive-prof-mike-adams-wild-ride-finally-comes-to-an-end/

I'm tenured.  But, come on.  Progressive faculty don't need tenure, and conservative faculty won't be saved by it.

secundem_artem

I wager 500 quatloos that even if we're all F2F in September, we'll be back online by mid October.  And a lot of us will be unemployed by January.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

mamselle

Meanwhile the elementary-middle-high school sector is being dictated to by bird-brains:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1233061

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

wareagle

Quote from: secundem_artem on July 07, 2020, 04:05:07 PM
I wager 500 quatloos that even if we're all F2F in September, we'll be back online by mid October.  And a lot of us will be unemployed by January.

I have several bets out there that we send them all home by Halloween.  Maybe we should start a forum pool and everyone pick a date.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

bio-nonymous

Quote from: wareagle on July 07, 2020, 07:53:42 PM

I have several bets out there that we send them all home by Halloween.  Maybe we should start a forum pool and everyone pick a date.
Just got a notice this afternoon that our Governor may be moving us back to Phase 1--no decision until July 29th - 31st, and if so all courses will be DE. That is less than 2 weeks before our updated new "Fall" start...the bait and switch might be on, and out of our hands!

spork

I'm acquainted with the parent of an incoming freshman at a U. Texas campus. Semester begins next month. The parent is predicting that she will be coming home within three weeks after the first day of classes.

Pomona and Scripps announced that they will be 100% online in the fall.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Hegemony

Bio-nonymous, you're not wrong, but the issue is: we're in the middle of a pandemic. To teach those classes safely would require a lot more money than anyone is willing to devote to it.

Everyone (not just on the Fora) is saying things like "But students need their education!" and "But they won't be able to learn or do X, Y, or Z!" And the parents on the places hang out add "But Jason has to be on the wrestling team!" "But Emily's worked for years to make the tennis team!"

But — that's what we call a crisis. In World War II, people's education was also disrupted, would-be scientists were taken away from their labs, and the tennis team fell apart. Yeah, it wasn't ideal. That's why it's called a crisis. That's what we're in. It's not business as usual, as much as everyone would like it to be. It's "Everything is disrupted until we get this thing genuinely under control." And in the U.S. and a certain number of other countries (though definitely not all), we show no sign of having enough consensus about any aspect of it to get it genuinely under control any time soon.

dismalist

Quote from: Hegemony on July 09, 2020, 03:22:38 PM
Bio-nonymous, you're not wrong, but the issue is: we're in the middle of a pandemic. To teach those classes safely would require a lot more money than anyone is willing to devote to it.

Everyone (not just on the Fora) is saying things like "But students need their education!" and "But they won't be able to learn or do X, Y, or Z!" And the parents on the places hang out add "But Jason has to be on the wrestling team!" "But Emily's worked for years to make the tennis team!"

But — that's what we call a crisis. In World War II, people's education was also disrupted, would-be scientists were taken away from their labs, and the tennis team fell apart. Yeah, it wasn't ideal. That's why it's called a crisis. That's what we're in. It's not business as usual, as much as everyone would like it to be. It's "Everything is disrupted until we get this thing genuinely under control." And in the U.S. and a certain number of other countries (though definitely not all), we show no sign of having enough consensus about any aspect of it to get it genuinely under control any time soon.

Yes, absolutely. But why should we expect consensus? There are the old and ill, and the young and healthy. There are those who live in densely populated cities and states, and those who don't. There are those who live in densely populated buildings, and those who don't.

Consensual solutions can come only among smallish or concentrated groups of people.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli