News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Lottery-funded scholarships not meeting goals

Started by polly_mer, July 12, 2020, 06:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

My Econ 101 professor pointed out that lotteries are essentially a tax on the poor, since they are the ones who primarily bet on/invest in/fund lotteries.

I decided I'd never participate in one, or apply for/accept funds from a lottery-funded grant, so I never have.

In a just world, they would be better-fenced and there would be better counseling for those prone to gambling additions as well.

So, maybe it's a good time to look at alternatives.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

The best alternative is cutting the number of students slots available at the state institutions to what can be funded and only allowing that number of students in.  Setting real standards on college admissions to those who will benefit from a college education would fix the numbers quickly.

However, that means far fewer faculty positions and a lot of folks who are stuck where they were born because the K-12 systems are so bad that they don't produce college-ready graduates.

Putting extra money into education is far better spent below the college level.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!