News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Reorg of academic units? IHE article

Started by polly_mer, August 18, 2020, 04:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

https://insidehighered.com/views/2020/08/18/what-if-there-were-no-academic-departments-opinion

Missing is the idea that some places would just be rearranging deck chairs and should eliminate some things to free up resources for other things.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

ciao_yall

TLDR: Faculty should cooperate across disciplines.

However, instead of doing the obvious by encouraging coordination, we will be Transformational Leaders and Reorganize.

dr_codex

Could I write an "article" that uses scare quotes? That contains almost two dozen questions? Even in the subheader and in a section header? An article that pumps the tires for what my place decided to do? Packing it with straw people and ghost arguments?

You betcha!

Writes itself, doesn't it?

Doesn't it?

{PS: Can't leave without noting this gem: "Our focus here is not on the financial and institutional support for faculty, but on highlighting opportunities for self-organizing, creating appropriate and enabling structures that provide the greatest flexibility and the fewest barriers to faculty and student success." And they wonder why there isn't mass buy-in! I guess administration is easy once you stop worrying about financial and institutional support, and start loving the enabling structures.}
back to the books.

aside

"If you stay in the trench, you can't see what's in front of you, let alone what's on the horizon."

Seen All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)?  What happens when you raise up out of the trench to reach for a butterfly?