News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Heir to the throne (presidency)?

Started by simpleSimon, September 02, 2020, 10:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simpleSimon

The recent fall of Jerry Falwell Jr. highlights a peculiar problem in higher education that I rarely see commented on in the press, and I wonder why it is so thoroughly ignored.  How can a son succeed his father into a university presidency and no one seems to have a problem with it?  Typically, when I president steps down a national, international, or intergalactic search is conducted and a new president is chosen from a group of finalists.  Even if you do not like the new president you typically recognize the integrity of the search process.  At Liberty University no one believes a search was conducted; Junior was given the job simply because his father founded the school and previously helmed it.  A unique situation?  No.  At Lynn University in Boca Raton, FL President Kevin M. Ross was preceded by none other than his father Donald Ross (now President Emeritus).  It is difficult to imagine more pointed examples of corruption.

While this sort of thing may happen in a private business, a university—even a private university—is a public enterprise.  They enjoy tax exempt status, receive federal financial aid, grant funds from federal and state agencies and private foundations, and they are accredited by professional and regional accrediting bodies.  Faculty voices seem absent from this dynamic; perhaps they are fearful for their jobs, but where are the student voices?  The campus press and local news outlets do not seem to want to go there.  Is naked nepotism the example we want to set before our students?  These are just two cases . . . are there more?  By the way, I am not affiliated with either school.   

Even when a Board is obviously unscrupulous, shouldn't a foundation come forward and say something like "This is corruption and we will no longer award grants to this institution"?  Shouldn't an accrediting body sanction a school or place them on probation for such an obviously unethical dealing?  Am I the only one who sees a problem here?  I feel like I am in Bizzaro world.

Stockmann

QuoteAm I the only one who sees a problem here?

No, you're not. Then again, I wonder in how many countries "legacy admissions" would stand up in court.

kaysixteen

Of course nepotism and family control of these sorts of institutions is a hideous problem, and many churches and especially parachurches have been greatly messed up, as Liberty is finding out. 

It is indeed my understanding that the US is the only country in the world where universities/ colleges, even public ones, still use legacy admissions policies?

Hibush

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 02, 2020, 12:21:56 PM

It is indeed my understanding that the US is the only country in the world where universities/ colleges, even public ones, still use legacy admissions policies?

Legacy admission was a longstanding tradition at Oxford and Cambridge. In my field there was some (way back, though) at Freiburg and Heidelberg.

I have heard of modern-day primogeniture for university chairs in Italy.

marshwiggle

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 02, 2020, 12:21:56 PM
Of course nepotism and family control of these sorts of institutions is a hideous problem, and many churches and especially parachurches have been greatly messed up, as Liberty is finding out. 

I'm guessing it's due to the legacy of so many private places. In many countries, where most are government funded, why would you reject a more-qualified candidate in order to admit a less-qualified candidate whose parent went there???? The only way it makes sense is if it locks in donors. If donors aren't a big part of the picture, it's kind of stupid.
It takes so little to be above average.

mamselle

It's a longstanding tradition in America.

Cotton Mather expected to follow his father Increase into Harvard's presidency, but he lost the vote due to his activities in the witchcraft trials.

Then again, at least they voted on him.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Hibush on September 02, 2020, 12:44:48 PM

I have heard of modern-day primogeniture for university chairs in Italy.

Me too! (I love that you put it this way. It's perfect.)
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: simpleSimon on September 02, 2020, 10:29:32 AM
The recent fall of Jerry Falwell Jr. highlights a peculiar problem in higher education that I rarely see commented on in the press, and I wonder why it is so thoroughly ignored.  How can a son succeed his father into a university presidency and no one seems to have a problem with it?  Typically, when I president steps down a national, international, or intergalactic search is conducted and a new president is chosen from a group of finalists.  Even if you do not like the new president you typically recognize the integrity of the search process.  At Liberty University no one believes a search was conducted; Junior was given the job simply because his father founded the school and previously helmed it.  A unique situation?  No.  At Lynn University in Boca Raton, FL President Kevin M. Ross was preceded by none other than his father Donald Ross (now President Emeritus).  It is difficult to imagine more pointed examples of corruption.

While this sort of thing may happen in a private business, a university—even a private university—is a public enterprise.  They enjoy tax exempt status, receive federal financial aid, grant funds from federal and state agencies and private foundations, and they are accredited by professional and regional accrediting bodies.  Faculty voices seem absent from this dynamic; perhaps they are fearful for their jobs, but where are the student voices?  The campus press and local news outlets do not seem to want to go there.  Is naked nepotism the example we want to set before our students?  These are just two cases . . . are there more?

I'm curious as to whether there are more too.  It's worth noting that in each of the above cases the long-term university president who left the job to his son was also essentially the founder of the school.  I suspect that in each case we're looking at a charismatic leader who decided that the only trustworthy successor to "his" creation was a family member.  The university and donor communities probably went along with it because they were used to dealing with the family name, and supposed it was a name they could continue to trust.  It's not too hard to see how a family succession could arise in a case like this.  That's an explanation, not an excuse.

What I wonder is whether there are cases of schools that weren't founded as a sort of "family business" in the first place that have become captured by leadership dynasties.  When I was an undergrad our university president was the son and namesake of a former university president.  He had his office in a building named after his father!  But the university long predated Senior's time in office, and there was an interregnum of other leadership before Junior became president.  And there was never a hint of financial or other impropriety about either of them.  It goes to show that kinfolks of previous leaders aren't always disasters in the making.  Sometimes you get a John Quincy Adams or FDR out of the deal.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

QuoteSometimes you get a John Quincy Adams or FDR out of the deal.

Like!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.