News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Who takes the SAT/ACT

Started by mythbuster, September 14, 2021, 03:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mythbuster

I found this report on the changes in standardized test reporting to be illuminating: https://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2021/09/13/study-reveals-which-applicants-didnt-submit-test-scores.

What jumped out to me was that the students most likely to submit scores were also from those states with well known abysmal school funding rates. So students in the know realize that they need that test score to bolster good grades from a likely crappy high school. To me this indicates that the tests will not die a quiet and quick death, as they will be used for this perceived boost until the universities stop accepting the scores.

dismalist

Quote from: mythbuster on September 14, 2021, 03:31:59 PM
I found this report on the changes in standardized test reporting to be illuminating: https://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2021/09/13/study-reveals-which-applicants-didnt-submit-test-scores.

What jumped out to me was that the students most likely to submit scores were also from those states with well known abysmal school funding rates. So students in the know realize that they need that test score to bolster good grades from a likely crappy high school. To me this indicates that the tests will not die a quiet and quick death, as they will be used for this perceived boost until the universities stop accepting the scores.

But, if true, doesn't that mean that the tests are a good thing, identifying good potential students at low cost?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

marshwiggle

A few interesting quotations from the article:
While test scores declined for all groups, "more selective member institutions, both public and private, more often received test scores with applications than did less selective colleges."

Apparently "more selective institutions" consider the information important. If they get above average students, (hence their being "selective"), then maybe they're onto something.

As colleges and universities consider whether or not they will require test scores in the coming years, they should contemplate the degree to which: a) they perceive the information garnered from test scores as valuable; b) test score requirements are imposing barriers, perhaps disproportionate barriers, upon students who would otherwise seek entry to their academic communities; and c) the information they seek from test scores is valuable enough to justify the barriers that requirements may impose

Well, yes. If they're not providing valuable information, get rid of them. On the other hand, is there "valuable information" institutions need, and if so, is there another source? By definition, if information is necessary, they'll need to get it somewhere.

Getting into college is only one piece of the puzzle. Whether test-optional policies may be setting students up for success -- such as getting through college and earning a degree -- needs to be evaluated.

Ya think?????!!!

ANY procedure for selecting students has to be evaluated, not merely on who it lets in the door, but on how successful they are once they're in. If a high attrition rate is acceptable, you might as well be open admission and save all the time and money.

It takes so little to be above average.