News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Experimental windowless dormitory project at UCSB

Started by Aster, October 29, 2021, 01:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aster

This is fascinating. I am not sure what to think about it.

"Warren Buffett's billionaire partner bankrolls windowless dorm. An architect quit"
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/29/business/ucsb-munger-hall/index.html

ergative

How ghastly. The logic as I gather, is to force students into common spaces to combat isolation, or some garbage. That logic suggests that Buffet has forgotten that students must (ostensibly) do some work and studying while they are in college. Or else he thinks that working in windowless boxes is super great. Having spent the last several years of my PhD working in a windowless box in a basement office, I disagree.

mleok

Quote from: ergative on October 29, 2021, 01:59:07 PM
How ghastly. The logic as I gather, is to force students into common spaces to combat isolation, or some garbage. That logic suggests that Buffet has forgotten that students must (ostensibly) do some work and studying while they are in college. Or else he thinks that working in windowless boxes is super great. Having spent the last several years of my PhD working in a windowless box in a basement office, I disagree.

It's not Buffet, but his business partner who is an amaetur architect that has pulled a similar stunt at the University of Michigan.

Cheerful

Read about this elsewhere.  I don't find it fascinating and I know exactly what I think about it.

Dreadful.

dismalist

Quote from: mleok on October 29, 2021, 02:10:10 PM
Quote from: ergative on October 29, 2021, 01:59:07 PM

It's not Buffet, but his business partner who is an amaetur architect that has pulled a similar stunt at the University of Michigan.

The moron had to pay big time to get his stuff built. The question is why UCSB accepted such a deal. I'm willing to bet it's nimby zoning restricting use in the surrounding area.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

filologos

One of the things we ought to have learned from COVID is that ventilation is important. Dorms and hospitals, in particular, should have windows that can open, especially in a climate like Santa Barbara's.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Aster

You can't really argue when $200 million dollars is tossed your way.

ciao_yall

dismalist

Quote from: ciao_yall on October 29, 2021, 05:59:04 PM
What if there is a fire or gas leak?

Fire will die out, on account it can't get air through the windows.

Gas can't get air either, so it would not explode.

Just nobody open a window door. And turn off the AC.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Hibush

"The plan was designed by architect Navy Banvard, a principal at Van Tilburg, Banvard, & Soderbergh. Banvard said Munger Hall is a collaborative process between UCSB, Munger and the design team."

Usually, the development office has a long discussion with the donor. This comment indicates that it has been going on for some time, and with the architect involved.

dismalist

Quote from: Hibush on October 29, 2021, 07:08:06 PM
"The plan was designed by architect Navy Banvard, a principal at Van Tilburg, Banvard, & Soderbergh. Banvard said Munger Hall is a collaborative process between UCSB, Munger and the design team."

Usually, the development office has a long discussion with the donor. This comment indicates that it has been going on for some time, and with the architect involved.

Whenever I hear the word "collaborative", my right hand starts shaking.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Hibush

Quote from: dismalist on October 29, 2021, 07:14:16 PM

Shaking the donor's hand?

dismalist

Quote from: Hibush on October 29, 2021, 08:00:40 PM
Quote from: dismalist on October 29, 2021, 07:14:16 PM

Shaking the donor's hand?

Nothing like in a private-public partnership!

Clearly, the receiving morons were willing to accept the money from the giving moron. Question is why the receivers acted so moronically. Wouldn't be much greed, on account the receiving morons can't take the cash home. The giver is clearly saying I'll pay you to do something moronic. The problem is, it's all moronic!

I'm going with nimby zoning laws. Welcome to California and its sunshine, if you can afford a house there.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Aster

Quote from: ciao_yall on October 29, 2021, 05:59:04 PM
What if there is a fire or gas leak?

A lot depends on the dormitory unit floorplan, but it is pretty common nowadays for dorm rooms to have interior connections to other dorm rooms. Presumably in case of fire, you just go out through the other dorm room.