News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Record bot enrollment at California CCs

Started by Hibush, September 01, 2021, 04:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hibush

This semester, California CCs saw a large increase in financial aid applications and enrollment, about 65,000. It turns out they were generated by bots with arbitrarily generated demographics and courses. The Los Angeles Times has a long, paywalled, read.

It appears that financial-aid staff spotted application with unlikely characteristics. Eventually, people talked with each other and discovered something wider was going on. Fraud-detection software has since found that about 20% of applicants were fake.

Are other schools with high-aid (and dropping enrollment) targeted in the same scam but too excited about the uptick to realize it?

mamselle

No direct answer, but....cui bono?

Is this just for the sake of pranking/hacking a system for laffs, or do the bots' creators then flog the positions for money?

I.e., why would anyone be bovvered?*

M.

Sorry, watching a lot of C. Tate, lately...
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

Quote from: mamselle on September 01, 2021, 07:14:47 AM

Is this just for the sake of pranking/hacking a system for laffs, or do the bots' creators then flog the positions for money?

M.

It's a financial aid scam.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

ciao_yall

Quote from: mamselle on September 01, 2021, 07:14:47 AM

M.

Because it overwhelms the staff trying to verify the real students to get them their financial aid. And then the real students' aid is delayed.

mythbuster

This is primarily because the courses were all online this year. It's pretty hard for a bot to impersonate a student in a real classroom. But it will seriously mess with real student  access to aid and  required classes, which likely will impact time to degree. It also messes with assessment of true needs for hiring within departments.

mamselle

OK, thanks, got it.

Clearly smarter minds than mine come up with these things.

Yuk.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ciao_yall

Another snip from the article:

QuoteBrogger is down to what she believes are six real students among 45 registered. Cuslidge-Staiano believes that more than 40 of her 60 class members are bots. She is awaiting guidance from the college before removing those students from her class.

These bots are filling up classes and crowding out real students who need these classes.

Aster

Hm, I wonder if I have some of these bot students in my classes. I have a few people who enrolled for online courses, but have not turned in anything, not replied to any of my emails, and whose log-in history is entirely restricted to "page viewings." A computer program could do all of that, yes?

lightning

I don't know anything about the admissions process, so this may be a dumb question.

How does a bot student get a SSN to put on their financial aid form? The bot students would have to be stolen identities.

Hibush

Quote from: lightning on October 05, 2021, 11:44:21 AM
I don't know anything about the admissions process, so this may be a dumb question.

How does a bot student get a SSN to put on their financial aid form? The bot students would have to be stolen identities.

Probably fake SSN like everything else. "Education Department waiving most verification requirements in the application process has contributed to the problem of fraudulent bots."

Hard to put a bot in prison! Or the Russian hacker who took the Covid-relief money.

Mobius

There used to be a 30-day waiting period before aid was disbursed the first time for a student, and the 30-day period would apply if you went to another school.

apl68

If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on December 20, 2021, 08:46:37 AM
Non-paywalled article about ongoing concerns about this form of financial aid fraud, and efforts to counter it:

https://edsource.org/2021/at-these-california-community-colleges-scammers-got-their-hands-on-financial-aid/663152

I  didn't see any discussion of what proportion of the money went for things like tuition and residence fees. Those would only be of use to a student who actually attends,  (because presumably they'd just reduce the bill, rather than send out cash),so they couldn't really be scammed. It's the "pocket money" portion of financial aid that is vulnerable.
It takes so little to be above average.