News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Oberlin lose their appeal, still owe $32 million

Started by bacardiandlime, April 04, 2022, 02:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

So, in an interesting twist, some here would vilify a school with an otherwise good track record in music and the humanities because its social politics don't match theirs?

Very interesting.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mamselle on April 05, 2022, 11:35:21 AM
So, in an interesting twist, some here would vilify a school with an otherwise good track record in music and the humanities because its social politics don't match theirs?

It's more that the excesses of political activism by students have been condoned or even encouraged by faculty and administrators, who in doing so shirked their responsibility to help students think more deeply about complex issues.

Messages that have been implicitly presented:

• The most instant, visceral response to an event is the most important one.
  • Collecting evidence and reserving judgement are ways of avoiding a proper response, which is definitive and vocal.
  • Trying to detach one's feelings from analysis of a problem undermines one's ability to respond intensely and unequivocally.
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quit your pathetic sobbing and pay up, maestros. And if you haven't wised up yet, there's more trouble coming.

Very interesting.

M.

mahagonny

con't

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 05, 2022, 11:53:02 AM

It's more that the excesses of political activism by students have been condoned or even encouraged by faculty and administrators, who in doing so shirked their responsibility to help students think more deeply about complex issues.

Messages that have been implicitly presented:

• The most instant, visceral response to an event is the most important one.
  • Collecting evidence and reserving judgement are ways of avoiding a proper response, which is definitive and vocal.
  • Trying to detach one's feelings from analysis of a problem undermines one's ability to respond intensely and unequivocally.

Marshyprof:

Why are we pretending that the emphasis on politically far-left viewpoints in the college course offerings is not the source of these excesses of political activism exhibited by their students? No need to soft-pedal your point IMO.

Volhiker78

Ok, I;m an Oberlin alum (1978) and have followed this story pretty closely.  I was not surprised by either the original decision nor the denial of the appeal.  When the trial first began, I wrote to the President urging the college to find a settlement with the owners of the bakery.  I never got a response back. 

I agree with Marshwiggle's take.  I think the problem with the bakery incident is much more due to the former Dean of Student Affairs.  In fact, emails indicate a number of faculty and staff after the incident urged  her to be cautious about the student's demonstrations.  She went all-in with the students.  Although the faculty is very liberal, I don't think they are to blame for the bakery trial / result.  My Oberlin experience is a long, long time ago but the faculty I had then (still very liberal) all demanded what Marshwiggle wrote,  'examine as much evidence as you can before forming an opinion',  'think deeply about problems - don't just trust your gut', 'expect problems to have difficult (not easy) answers'.

I hope the college can put this episode behind them. 

mahagonny

Quote from: Volhiker78 on April 06, 2022, 09:04:31 AM
Ok, I;m an Oberlin alum (1978) and have followed this story pretty closely.  I was not surprised by either the original decision nor the denial of the appeal.  When the trial first began, I wrote to the President urging the college to find a settlement with the owners of the bakery.  I never got a response back. 

I agree with Marshwiggle's take.  I think the problem with the bakery incident is much more due to the former Dean of Student Affairs.  In fact, emails indicate a number of faculty and staff after the incident urged  her to be cautious about the student's demonstrations.  She went all-in with the students.  Although the faculty is very liberal, I don't think they are to blame for the bakery trial / result.  My Oberlin experience is a long, long time ago but the faculty I had then (still very liberal) all demanded what Marshwiggle wrote,  'examine as much evidence as you can before forming an opinion',  'think deeply about problems - don't just trust your gut', 'expect problems to have difficult (not easy) answers'.

I hope the college can put this episode behind them.

I'd like to agree with you since I am a big classical music fan. Problems: (1) the college still hasn't apologized, despite committing a horrible wrong against the community. (2) the faculty there, and others like them, are part of the reason hate crime hoaxes get believed so often.

mahagonny