News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

U of California Grad Students Strike

Started by Wahoo Redux, November 16, 2022, 12:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Although the details are different at different institutions across the state, what I've heard from students at UCSD, for example, is that:

• Graduate student researchers get $19 728 a year.
  • Teaching assistants get $23 246.55 a year.
  • The media 1BR apartment in San Diego cost $1740/month ($20 880/year) in 2018; today, it's estimated at $2500/month ($30 000/year)
  • Graduate student housing isn't much cheaper (e.g. $1977/month in the Nuevo East complex), is subject to a year+ waitlist, and is time-limited.

Given those givens, they obviously need to be paid more. I don't see how they can be expected to carry out their own research, given their financial circumstances. All they can do is get a second job (unless they're international students, of course, in which case...).
I know it's a genus.

Hibush

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 22, 2022, 10:16:26 AM
Although the details are different at different institutions across the state, what I've heard from students at UCSD, for example, is that:

• Graduate student researchers get $19 728 a year.
  • Teaching assistants get $23 246.55 a year.
  • The media 1BR apartment in San Diego cost $1740/month ($20 880/year) in 2018; today, it's estimated at $2500/month ($30 000/year)
  • Graduate student housing isn't much cheaper (e.g. $1977/month in the Nuevo East complex), is subject to a year+ waitlist, and is time-limited.

Given those givens, they obviously need to be paid more. I don't see how they can be expected to carry out their own research, given their financial circumstances. All they can do is get a second job (unless they're international students, of course, in which case...).

Realistic student housing costs can be tricky to estimate. In a city like La Jolla (or Westwood or Santa Barbara or Berkeley), a one-bedroom apartment to yourself is quite a luxury.  These are also cities with some rather posh residences, so the median place can also be pretty fancy. I suspect there is a better benchmark that reflects where students would actually live. Actual student housing is a good benchmark since the local market will be competing with that.

The MIT living wage calculator also has a problem with student-specific expenses. But it breaks living costs down into categories so adjustments are relatively easy to make. That has San Diego metro housing at $1,500 a month. (Interestingly, sharing the household with a non-working requires an additional $23,000 in pre-tax income, whereas a child requires $46,000. Being a single-parent grad student really seems unaffordable!). 

dismalist

Quote"Given those givens, they obviously need want to be paid more."

FTFY :-)

Quote... a child requires $46,000

Must be one hell of a child! :-)

Well, California is losing population. There's our solution.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mythbuster

According to the official web site. The UCSD PhD program in biological sciences pays a stipend of $36,00o per year. So again, it varies depending on who you ask. https://biology.ucsd.edu/education/grad/phd/financial-support.html

jimbogumbo

Following up on mythbuster, I started at the UCSD Math Dept. site and followed links to a pay scale (linked below). Don't know about grad assts, but the CSU faculty used to have a statewide pay scale. That meant you really came out ahead if you taught at one of the campuses in less highly populated areas.

The info I found cites a connection to the UAW!!

https://grad.ucsd.edu/_files/financial-support/employment-files/student-pay-rates/AY%202022-2023%20STUDENT%20ACADEMIC%20TITLE%20RATES_________%20-%20Sheet1.pdf

research_prof

Quote from: jimbogumbo on November 22, 2022, 01:17:19 PM
Following up on mythbuster, I started at the UCSD Math Dept. site and followed links to a pay scale (linked below). Don't know about grad assts, but the CSU faculty used to have a statewide pay scale. That meant you really came out ahead if you taught at one of the campuses in less highly populated areas.

https://grad.ucsd.edu/_files/financial-support/employment-files/student-pay-rates/AY%202022-2023%20STUDENT%20ACADEMIC%20TITLE%20RATES_________%20-%20Sheet1.pdf

As someone who has been at UCs for some years, I confirm that these grad student pay scales seem to be accurate. However, I need to note that UCs pay grad students at 50% rates. They claim this is due to visa regulations for international students (which is true) but they extend that to US permanent residents and citizens as well for "fairness" reasons. My private R1 pays grad students much better than UCs and it is located in an area with a relatively low cost of living (much lower than California).

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: dismalist on November 22, 2022, 11:13:57 AM
Quote"Given those givens, they obviously need want to be paid more."

FTFY :-)

Quote... a child requires $46,000

Must be one hell of a child! :-)

Well, California is losing population. There's our solution.

If only we all lived in the easy, simple world you do. 

What are your living expenses, Big-D?  Are you living in a studio apartment in a Cali city bursting at the seams?
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

quasihumanist

The dismal fact is that, according to economics, society would be better off if certain people (those who consume more stuff than their proportional contribution to making) are raptured.

Of course we don't actually believe that - however, solving this problem requires non-dismal solutions.

I wonder if grad students (or even professors) would be paid at all if our society instituted a livable universal basic income.

dismalist

Quote from: quasihumanist on November 22, 2022, 05:15:24 PM
The dismal fact is that, according to economics, society would be better off if certain people (those who consume more stuff than their proportional contribution to making) are raptured.

Of course we don't actually believe that - however, solving this problem requires non-dismal solutions.

I wonder if grad students (or even professors) would be paid at all if our society instituted a livable universal basic income.

Now, now, let's not let our utilitarianism get out of hand! Though of course a veil of ignorance argument can be made. :-)

In fact, we already have a universal basic income of sorts. It's composed of many parts, but it exists. It's also more generous than usually thought, but I don't want to derail this thread in that direction.

The difficulty at present is that anyone collecting "welfare" would relinquish his benefits if he earns income, such as collecting a stipend as a graduate student. [Therefore, don't be a graduate student!] The implicit marginal tax rate of welfare recipients would make rich people blush. The fix is to let people keep their benefits and tax them and their earnings at some reasonable rate.

The  only downside to this policy is that we'd have more graduate students. :-)

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Durchlässigkeitsbeiwert

The $23 246.55 cited by Parasaurolophus above is within 10 cents of the 50% TA in the linked file. I wonder which percentage of the advertised rate is actually received by a median student.

apl68

Quote from: Durchlässigkeitsbeiwert on November 22, 2022, 07:06:58 PM

The $23 246.55 cited by Parasaurolophus above is within 10 cents of the 50% TA in the linked file. I wonder which percentage of the advertised rate is actually received by a median student.

Does "50% TA" refer to a TA paid at a rate of 20 hours per week?
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

research_prof

Quote from: apl68 on November 23, 2022, 06:13:31 AM

Yes.

marshwiggle

Quote from: research_prof on November 23, 2022, 06:40:19 AM
Quote from: apl68 on November 23, 2022, 06:13:31 AM

Yes.

So, in other words, living on your own is tough with a half-time job?
In other news, water is wet.
It takes so little to be above average.

dismalist

Looking at this slightly differently, is the U of C suffering from declining numbers of applications from potential graduate students? There are plenty of graduate schools in all kinds 'a subjects in the US. The "wage" of graduate students is determined in a competitive market.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

waterboy

We have to be careful not to say "wages" as that would imply that what a grad student does is a job. Can't have that.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."