U of California Grad Students Strike

Started by Wahoo Redux, November 16, 2022, 12:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 28, 2022, 06:51:43 PM
Quote from: dismalist on December 28, 2022, 10:59:57 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on December 28, 2022, 10:43:49 AM
Quote from: mleok on December 28, 2022, 09:19:11 AM
If nothing else, it creates perverse incentives to pay a humanities graduate student more than they could command post graduation. The net result will also mean that while a few more students would be much better off, many more students will be unfunded entirely and be much worse off.

Where would Amazon be without books to sell? Spotify without music to listen to? Facebook and other social media without a well-designed user interface?

Without content created by the arts and humanities, none of these tech companies would be worth a penny.

California is such a wealthy state because of its higher education system which produced so many advanced technology companies. Sadly, people like Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina, who don't seem to get that their wealth is BECAUSE of those high taxes, not in spite of them, they continue to haul up the ladder for everyone else.

California has been losing population for two decades.

Really? Says who? Not the US Census.

Yes, I've also seen various measures. What I referred to was net interstate-migration, excluding immigration from abroad. I should have said so. Often wrong, never in doubt. :-)

This article https://calmatters.org/commentary/2022/04/california-population-decline/ refers to various other sources.

Total absolute population of California seems to be declining since the 2020 Census. Anyway, for economic success among US States, relative population growth is a sufficient indicator, and there California is declining, as shown by the decrease in electoral votes at the 2020 Census.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli