News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Texas Tech's DEI backflip

Started by bacardiandlime, February 08, 2023, 02:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bacardiandlime

After an expose in the WSJ of one department's ranking of job applicants by their DEI statements (reading the search committee comments it seems like applicants were practically in a no-win situation!), the university has now announced it will stop this.

WSJ piece
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-diversity-policing-fails-science-equality-equity-education-texas-tech-job-candidates-interview-dei-pronouns-11675722169

Twitter thread by the author: https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnDSailer/status/1622970076000571399

Texas Tech's statement: https://www.depts.ttu.edu/communications/20230207/

spork

Some virtue signaling is more equal than others.

When there is such a huge oversupply of labor for such a scarce number of jobs, people can invent all sorts of ridiculous barriers to entry.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

bacardiandlime

Quote from: spork on February 08, 2023, 03:02:09 AM
When there is such a huge oversupply of labor for such a scarce number of jobs, people can invent all sorts of ridiculous barriers to entry.

True, though interestingly enough this was not in the humanities (where 100s of applicants might be common). It was in bioscience, and they had 12 applicants for the position the SC reports are from.

I'm also skeptical that "ability to BS one's way through DEI stuff" actually makes a better teacher or scholar. (I've met enough "male feminists" who talk the talk but are creepers and bullies to think moral licensing might be a factor, maybe better to hire that clueless guy who didn't know the difference between "equity and equality", rather than someone who intersectionally harasses students).

Hibush

It is worth noting the the WSJ piece is an opinion column rather than a news article. Those departments are quite separate.

The opinion writer represents the National Association of Scholars, an activist group working to oppose multiculturalism and affirmative action. They are particularly active in Texas. I expect they have strong ally in Texas governor Abbot.

I'm glad not to be on a hiring committee in that state!

apl68

Quote from: bacardiandlime on February 08, 2023, 03:47:06 AM
I'm also skeptical that "ability to BS one's way through DEI stuff" actually makes a better teacher or scholar. (I've met enough "male feminists" who talk the talk but are creepers and bullies to think moral licensing might be a factor, maybe better to hire that clueless guy who didn't know the difference between "equity and equality", rather than someone who intersectionally harasses students).

To the extent that statements of this sort are failing to smoke out potential bad actors--and possibly penalizing "clueless" applicants of good will, they're failing to accomplish what they're supposed to be doing.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

secundem_artem

Somewhere along the line, it seems to have been decided that the role of the university is to save the world, eliminate all the various 'isms' that are problems, and generally promote equality over equity.  The end of my career is within sight these days and as much as I will miss a lot of what faculty life has offered, I'm not going to miss the increasingly obtrusive political grandstanding from either the idiots on the right or the wokeists on the left.  A pox on all your houses.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

waterboy

"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: secundem_artem on February 08, 2023, 01:00:19 PM
Somewhere along the line, it seems to have been decided that the role of the university is to save the world, eliminate all the various 'isms' that are problems, and generally promote equality over equity.  The end of my career is within sight these days and as much as I will miss a lot of what faculty life has offered, I'm not going to miss the increasingly obtrusive political grandstanding from either the idiots on the right or the wokeists on the left.  A pox on all your houses.

Seconded ditto...just seconded ditto...just...ditto.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.