News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Move in day

Started by secundem_artem, August 23, 2023, 03:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

I't ain't just weird, it is a bad look, suggestive of one or more of the following: 1) the campus is financially failing, and there would thus be little if any money to hire people to help kids do this, and 2) the campus is promoting a faculty 'customer service' ethos.   Neither of which are good things.

sinenomine

My school's students affairs staff just sent out a multi page spreadsheet for faculty to sign up for move in day, assorted social events, and various other kick-off items. Like other posters, I decline to get involved, and I'm in good company —- no one else has signed up.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Ruralguy

I would be willing to bet that response is near zero everywhere, yet student affairs offices countrywide always like to try to get faculty to do this. I think they think it helps send a message to parents and students... a positive one that is.

apl68

Quote from: Ruralguy on August 24, 2023, 11:56:48 AMI would be willing to bet that response is near zero everywhere, yet student affairs offices countrywide always like to try to get faculty to do this. I think they think it helps send a message to parents and students... a positive one that is.

Sounds like these student affairs offices are engaging in futile busywork.  Almost as if they're experiencing administrative bloat or something.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Langue_doc

Quote from: BadWolf on August 24, 2023, 08:35:51 AM
QuoteAdmin should be roping in deans, assistant deans, and DEI heads, not faculty who are busy getting ready for the semester.

And exactly why should they be helping? Or do you just have a hatred for all AdminCritters? Many people in these roles meet the other exclusion criteria (physical injuries, age, pregnancy).

My institution also makes the same ask every year. For a long time I did help - I stood and directed traffic and my son used it as an opportunity to get his state mandated service learning hours by acting as a runner for the first-year staff. (Handing out water, getting new walkies when batteries would fail, giving families directions once they were on foot). He's grown now and I now avoid campus on move-in day and work from home.

Why should admincritters be exempt from helping? Why rope in faculty on their days off to help students with their belongings? Faculty are also expected to provide "customer service" by being available to students on weekends and evenings unlike admins who set clear M-F 9-5 boundaries.

To quote apl68,
QuoteSounds like these student affairs offices are engaging in futile busywork.  Almost as if they're experiencing administrative bloat or something.

AmLitHist

Quote from: secundem_artem on August 23, 2023, 03:46:42 PM. . . , my response to this service opportunity is something along the lines of "Fvck the hell off and leave me alone.  I already have to take out my own office trash and I'm not interested in undertaking more tasks that have nothing to do with my job." 

Beautifully stated.

lightning

Dear Student Housing/Student Life Admincritters,

Thank you for inviting me to help new students move into the dorms. I would be elated to help. Before I can, however, I have to get approval from the General Compliance Office on their CYA6996 form, which allows faculty to step foot into an 18-year-old student's dorm room. The approval process takes anywhere from 5 weeks to 3 months, but can sometimes take a year, if the form is submitted in the summer. As soon as I get approval, I'll let you know of my availability.

Dr. Lightning

downer

It is as misguided an idea as calling the school a "family" or supposing that it is even a community. These are falsehoods for modern schools and are no longer ideals that could even seem reasonable.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

apl68

It occurred to me that they might get higher participation of faculty in student move-ins if they also recruited them for move-out day, and then let them have first pick at salvaging furniture and such that departing students abandoned.  I knew fellow grad students back in the day who furnished their homes by doing that.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

EdnaMode

Quote from: apl68 on August 25, 2023, 07:43:22 AMIt occurred to me that they might get higher participation of faculty in student move-ins if they also recruited them for move-out day, and then let them have first pick at salvaging furniture and such that departing students abandoned.  I knew fellow grad students back in the day who furnished their homes by doing that.

On my campus they invite students to donate things they don't want to take home with them at the end of the year. Everything is gathered in one of the gymnasiums, it's offered up for sale to the public (faculty and staff have first dibs in a pre-sale), and proceeds go to charity. Anything that isn't sold is donated to charity also. Faculty can donate unwanted items to the sale too, it's a good way to get rid of a few things around the house.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.