News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Lynn University: Father to Son presidency

Started by simpleSimon, October 24, 2023, 10:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simpleSimon

Down in Boca Raton Florida there is a small private school called Lynn University.  For more than two decades the school was helmed by Donald Ross; he is now President Emeritus.  When he finally stepped down the school did an international search to choose his successor. The person they selected was Donald's son Kevin Ross.  I watched from a distance when this happened, and I am still amazed that it took place with virtually no fanfare or objection.  The higher ed press didn't seem to notice... mainstream local papers didn't bat an eye... even the campus students and faculty seem to take it all in stride. 

Am I the only one who smells blatant corruption here?  I have been watching higher education for nearly thirty years, and I cannot recall another instance where a son "inherited" a university presidency from his father.   

President Kevin qualifications include the following:
M.A., Liberal Arts, St. John's College
Ed.D., Higher Education Leadership and Policy, Vanderbilt University
According to Lynn University tax forms President Kevin made $819,632 in 2022.

What is wrong with this picture?  How would you react if this happened at your institution?

kaysixteen

Good points.  Is there a reasonably standard policy amongst non-profit higher ed institutions, regarding the minimum qualifications for a college presidency?  And what percentage of such uni prezes would not have an academic PhD?   BTW, what is the general opinion wrt EdDs in 'higher education'?

Ruralguy

Not having a Ph. D. is probably not all that unusual. Our last two Presidents had PhD's, but the one previous had an Ed. D, and before that, no advanced degrees. When (in general) they don't have Ph.D's they tend to be prominent politicians, retired military, or some sort of CEO.

I've head of three generations in a row being college Presidents, all in the same state, but not inherited at the same school.

jimbogumbo

I'll play. How about Liberty University. Falwell Sr. followed by Falwell Jr.

apl68

According to Lynn's Wiki article, Donald E. Ross took a failing women's religious junior college and built it into a viable private nonsectarian (nearly as I can tell) college.  He was making a multi-million-dollar salary by the time he retired.  What with all that, and his son succeeding him, it looks like Lynn is essentially a family business.  The Rosses must be awfully good at wooing donors to keep this little school out of the "Dire Straights" thread.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Quote from: Ruralguy on October 24, 2023, 11:45:05 AMNot having a Ph. D. is probably not all that unusual. Our last two Presidents had PhD's, but the one previous had an Ed. D, and before that, no advanced degrees. When (in general) they don't have Ph.D's they tend to be prominent politicians, retired military, or some sort of CEO.

I've head of three generations in a row being college Presidents, all in the same state, but not inherited at the same school.

Alma Mater's eighth and twelfth Presidents were father and son.  The latter was in charge during my undergrad years there.  His office was in a small admin building bearing his father's name!  They both had PhDs, and I know that Dr. Junior was a pretty well-known and respected academic.  He had us use a textbook he had co-authored during the one course I took under him.  It was one of the leading textbooks in the field. 

I suppose it all goes to show that one family can produce multiple generations of legitimate academics and administrators.  In the Ross family's case at Lynn, though, one does wonder....
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

dismalist

I don't think that if such a thing happens here or there it's bad necessarily. If it were widespread, that'd be different.

I googled Lynn, a non-profit like Liberty. Seems to be swimming in money. Maybe that's why the Board approved the Son, perhaps able to get cash like the Father. You know, inherit the connections and the methods of making them. I think I read right that it's been some years now that the Son has been boss.

I didn't google Liberty, except their Board. Gotta leave it to 'em until the money runs out.

Anyway, its better to look at the income statement during somebody's tenure rather than their parentage.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

Quote from: dismalist on October 24, 2023, 01:58:20 PMI don't think that if such a thing happens here or there it's bad necessarily. If it were widespread, that'd be different.

I googled Lynn, a non-profit like Liberty. Seems to be swimming in money. Maybe that's why the Board approved the Son, perhaps able to get cash like the Father. You know, inherit the connections and the methods of making them. I think I read right that it's been some years now that the Son has been boss.

That's got to be it.  The son has the same connections to bring in the money that his father had.  Like it or not, at most colleges the head's number one job is to bring in money.  That's usually the number one consideration in hiring somebody for the job.

Kron3007

He should rename his position to king, and by royal decree lock it in for his children.

secundem_artem

Savannah College of Art & Design - after the founding president stepped down, his wife got the job.  Merde happens in these smaller privates.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

permanent imposter

Quote from: apl68 on October 25, 2023, 06:49:14 AM
Quote from: dismalist on October 24, 2023, 01:58:20 PMI don't think that if such a thing happens here or there it's bad necessarily. If it were widespread, that'd be different.

That's got to be it.  The son has the same connections to bring in the money that his father had.  Like it or not, at most colleges the head's number one job is to bring in money.  That's usually the number one consideration in hiring somebody for the job.

Makes sense, but why bother with an international search then. Imagine being one of the finalists and then later finding out that the son got the job. Just seems like a waste of everyone's time.

dismalist

Quote from: permanent imposter on October 25, 2023, 04:49:05 PM
Quote from: apl68 on October 25, 2023, 06:49:14 AM

Makes sense, but why bother with an international search then. Imagine being one of the finalists and then later finding out that the son got the job. Just seems like a waste of everyone's time.

It's the law.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on October 25, 2023, 04:53:46 PM
Quote from: permanent imposter on October 25, 2023, 04:49:05 PMMakes sense, but why bother with an international search then. Imagine being one of the finalists and then later finding out that the son got the job. Just seems like a waste of everyone's time.

It's the law.

At a private?

dismalist

You've got to be able to prove non-discrimination against what's in the Civil Rights Act. You can't do that unless you have a search.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli