the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: arcturus on August 20, 2021, 06:59:11 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 20, 2021, 06:21:35 AM
Quote from: sinenomine on August 20, 2021, 03:45:49 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 19, 2021, 08:43:33 PM
Gee, thanks for giving me a class and then not telling me. I'm glad I checked my schedule.

Wow — that's like a recurring academic nightmare I've had!

I was so pissed about it. This person has an attitude of 'well, just deal with it', which doesn't help.

I don't understand why class assignments are so uncertain this close to the start of the semester. At my school, course schedules are due the previous fall for the current fall semester. At that time, my department consults with faculty regarding their preferred courses and times, looks over the requests and consults with relevant faculty if we do not have the proper distribution of courses, and then submits the schedule to the registrar. We are sometimes surprised regarding room assignments, but everyone knows the teaching schedule many months in advance. We did have one year where several faculty had unexpected illness and we had to scramble to find people to teach their classes, but that was an unusual circumstance and everyone was aware of what was happening (not the details of the illness, of course).

In any event, good luck EPW!

Our enrollment has sucked hard. Some of my low number classes were dropped early and I was given online classes. This week, even though I know other people with the same numbers, I had another low number class dropped. All I can say is that one person I've been dealing with is a total dingbat and just doesn't give a crap.

the_geneticist

Gee, thanks for giving me a class and then not telling me. I'm glad I checked my schedule.

Gah!  I have that as a reoccurring bad dream.  I hope it's something you've taught before.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: the_geneticist on August 20, 2021, 09:22:39 AM

Gah!  I have that as a reoccurring bad dream.  I hope it's something you've taught before.

Oh, I've taught all this before. That's not a big issue. It's the lack of respect from the admins and the last minute changing and miscommunication...

evil_physics_witchcraft

Get. Your. Shit. Together. You are an admin. For the love of all that is holy stop jerking me around and do your damn job!

Vkw10

"I've filed my retirement application, effective September 30. I don't want a reception. Have a good day!"

After today, May 2025 can't get here fast enough.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

AmLitHist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 20, 2021, 12:01:48 PM
Get. Your. Shit. Together. You are an admin. For the love of all that is holy stop jerking me around and do your damn job!
^This.  I started my go-round on July 28.  No resolution yet. Supposed to do something on this coming Tuesday that REALLY needs this answered.  I'm not above burning a sick day and not showing up if you don't do your part.  And I've got 17+ weeks of sick days saved up (and a union lawyer on standby), so.......

From the recent posts, sounds like I'm not the only one who's fallen out of love with my job.

fishbrains

Quote from: AmLitHist on August 21, 2021, 10:35:10 AM
^This.  I started my go-round on July 28.  No resolution yet. Supposed to do something on this coming Tuesday that REALLY needs this answered.  I'm not above burning a sick day and not showing up if you don't do your part.  And I've got 17+ weeks of sick days saved up (and a union lawyer on standby), so.......

From the recent posts, sounds like I'm not the only one who's fallen out of love with my job.

Just some serious frustration here.

We've had a killer combination of losing some people in key offices with an inability to replace them (it's hard to bring in students if we don't have the people in admissions and financial aid to process them), crippling problems with our phone and email systems where it's hard to tell if internal emails are actually reaching their destinations (or finding out the hard way that they never got there), and some incompetence where it turns out a few people haven't really been working from home over the past year and are now scrambling to make it look like they were (grrrrrrrrrrrrrr . . .).

Oh, yeah. The 6/6 overloads don't help.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: fishbrains on August 21, 2021, 10:53:58 AM
Quote from: AmLitHist on August 21, 2021, 10:35:10 AM

Just some serious frustration here.

We've had a killer combination of losing some people in key offices with an inability to replace them (it's hard to bring in students if we don't have the people in admissions and financial aid to process them), crippling problems with our phone and email systems where it's hard to tell if internal emails are actually reaching their destinations (or finding out the hard way that they never got there), and some incompetence where it turns out a few people haven't really been working from home over the past year and are now scrambling to make it look like they were (grrrrrrrrrrrrrr . . .).

Oh, yeah. The 6/6 overloads don't help.

Ditto. I think my schedule changed at least six times and was finalized on Friday. Classes start tomorrow.

hmaria1609

Folks: we have a sign on our book drop that we don't take donations! It's been there quite awhile. Whoever jammed our book drop with donated books gave us extra work sorting library and non-library materials this morning. Now behold your stupidity--everything you put inside is on top of our drop. Clean it up yourself!

RatGuy

"Lack of professionalism is a reason to reject a job applicant."

the_geneticist

Quote from: RatGuy on August 23, 2021, 12:33:49 PM

"Lack of qualifications is ALSO a reason to reject a job applicant". Stop trying to fill in/imagine/predict skills that the person MIGHT have.  If we say training in [reed baskets] and they say NOTHING about said training, then we can assume that they do NOT have that skill.

onehappyunicorn

Quote from: the_geneticist on August 23, 2021, 04:16:43 PM

"Lack of qualifications is ALSO a reason to reject a job applicant". Stop trying to fill in/imagine/predict skills that the person MIGHT have.  If we say training in [reed baskets] and they say NOTHING about said training, then we can assume that they do NOT have that skill.

Our last posting for part-time ended up with around twenty total applicants, five of whom were disqualified by the system because they did not have the clearly listed qualifications. I really wish I could tell these people that they are completely wasting their time...

marshwiggle

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on August 24, 2021, 06:29:23 AM
Quote from: the_geneticist on August 23, 2021, 04:16:43 PM

Our last posting for part-time ended up with around twenty total applicants, five of whom were disqualified by the system because they did not have the clearly listed qualifications. I really wish I could tell these people that they are completely wasting their time...

This is part of a culture that says "It doesn't hurt to ask" which really translates to "I'm so special, the rules don't apply to me."

It takes so little to be above average.

ergative

Stu, the essay prompt fed you a strawman so you could show how well you know the arguments against it. You weren't supposed to agree with it!

AvidReader

Quote from: marshwiggle on August 24, 2021, 07:50:01 AM

This is part of a culture that says "It doesn't hurt to ask" which really translates to "I'm so special, the rules don't apply to me."
[/quote]

Post-PhD (with MA and BA in hand also) I applied for an administrative assistant job that required an Associate's degree (no field specified), assuming that my other degrees, being higher, would allow me to qualify. I was summarily rejected for not meeting the "clearly listed qualifications." Maybe your applicants, like me, just made erroneous assumptions about whether their qualifications were equivalent or not.

AR.