News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Got a report today at lunch (Rotary Club) from our local school superintendent.  He said that they, like most schools around the state, are continuing to practice masking.  In recent weeks they've had no actual cases of COVID in the schools, and only a few precautionary quarantines.  Nearly all of the district's children in younger grades are now back face to face.  A lot of older youths are still out.  Even some of the ones who come in every afternoon to practice for school sports!  If they're given an option not to sit in class, they won't.  At one point about three dozen ostensibly online students had completely checked out.  There are concerns about what this sort of thing will do for workforce readiness in the next few years as these checked-out youths become our new workforce.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

lightning

Quote from: apl68 on April 08, 2021, 11:54:19 AM
Got a report today at lunch (Rotary Club) from our local school superintendent.  He said that they, like most schools around the state, are continuing to practice masking.  In recent weeks they've had no actual cases of COVID in the schools, and only a few precautionary quarantines.  Nearly all of the district's children in younger grades are now back face to face.  A lot of older youths are still out.  Even some of the ones who come in every afternoon to practice for school sports!  If they're given an option not to sit in class, they won't.  At one point about three dozen ostensibly online students had completely checked out.  There are concerns about what this sort of thing will do for workforce readiness in the next few years as these checked-out youths become our new workforce.

I cannot friggin' believe that the school district allows the athletes the option to practice after school hours in-person, while letting them stay home during the school day under the cover of public health. 

Caracal

Quote from: lightning on April 08, 2021, 08:48:47 PM

I cannot friggin' believe that the school district allows the athletes the option to practice after school hours in-person, while letting them stay home during the school day under the cover of public health.

To be fair, if the practices are outside, there would be a certain logic to it. Of course, thats assuming they aren't going into locker rooms before and after. The NFL kept very close records of transmissions and found that it appeared that virtually none of them occurred outside during practices or games.

apl68

Quote from: Caracal on April 09, 2021, 04:24:34 AM
Quote from: lightning on April 08, 2021, 08:48:47 PM

To be fair, if the practices are outside, there would be a certain logic to it. Of course, thats assuming they aren't going into locker rooms before and after. The NFL kept very close records of transmissions and found that it appeared that virtually none of them occurred outside during practices or games.

That's probably the thought behind it, all right. 

Some of the student athletes appear to be avoiding face-to-face classes for fear that they'll get caught up in quarantines and miss games.  Some have gotten burned by that.

jimbogumbo

It's not good in Michigan right now. NYT lists the top 20 cities in new cases per (you pick a denominator), and 16 are in Michigan.

apl68

Three days in a row with no known COVID deaths in our state.

Bbmaj7b5

"More than 70% of our seniors have received a vaccine shot. More than 50% of those who are 60 to 65 have received a vaccine shot. I don't know what herd immunity is but when you add that to acquired immunity, it looks like that could be very close to herd immunity..."

Texas Governor Greg Abbott

Hegemony

Herd immunity is not when one fraction of the populace reaches a certain percentage, unless that fraction never ever interacts with any other part of the population. Some people are really clueless. By "people" I mean "governors."

Puget

Quote from: Bbmaj7b5 on April 12, 2021, 04:21:16 PM
"More than 70% of our seniors have received a vaccine shot. More than 50% of those who are 60 to 65 have received a vaccine shot. I don't know what herd immunity is but when you add that to acquired immunity, it looks like that could be very close to herd immunity..."

Texas Governor Greg Abbott

Well, he's certainly right that he doesn't know what herd immunity is. . .
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

apl68

And our respite is over.  The state has had four virus deaths in the past day.

I notice that Texas has just had 29 new losses.  You can't say "herd immunity" when this sort of thing is still going on.

FishProf

Dammit!  I was 24 hrs from the J&J virus and it got pulled.  Damn.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

spork

Quote from: FishProf on April 13, 2021, 01:14:27 PM
Dammit!  I was 24 hrs from the J&J virus and it got pulled.  Damn.

It's been a month since my JNJ vaccination. No blood clots for me!

In passing I saw some blurb about this extremely rare side effect being connected to a specific antibody in the immune systems of the people who experienced clots. I'll have to look for the story.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Harlow2

Family member diagnosed 24 hours before long sought-after vaccine appointment; another was to get J&J later this week.

namazu

Quote from: Harlow2 on April 13, 2021, 05:28:21 PM
Family member diagnosed 24 hours before long sought-after vaccine appointment; another was to get J&J later this week.
Oh, how frustrating/distressing, Harlow!  Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery for your one family member, and vaccine availability for the other.