News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

So, just heard this on my tv: "at the University of Notre Dame where a dozen and a half football players tested positive". Too me a moment to figure out what they meant. Not sure why you wouldn't say 18, but I was really hoping for 12.5 players.

the_geneticist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 30, 2020, 03:39:39 PM
So, just heard this on my tv: "at the University of Notre Dame where a dozen and a half football players tested positive". Too me a moment to figure out what they meant. Not sure why you wouldn't say 18, but I was really hoping for 12.5 players.

Maybe just one nostril?

PhilRunner

A student death and an example of a school not doing enough. Things are getting tough for folks in the mountains of NC:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/05/us/covid-college-death-chad-dorrill.html

Parasaurolophus

Google's US case count is now showing two giant spikes in July: 141 317 on July 20, and 138 203 on July 27. They weren't there yesterday, and I certainly don't remember them ever being announced. Around that time, we were talking about single-day records of ~77k.

What happened? I swear, those two spikes weren't there yesterday, when I looked.
I know it's a genus.

nebo113

Quote from: PhilRunner on October 05, 2020, 10:12:56 AM
A student death and an example of a school not doing enough. Things are getting tough for folks in the mountains of NC:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/05/us/covid-college-death-chad-dorrill.html

Things are indeed tough here in the Appalachian Mountains.  In my poor, rural county:  at least 24 cases in 5 days, with new cases in the schools and eateries.  Too many not following coronovirus protocols, a situation which will worsen with the magnificent return of the cult leader to his lair.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 05, 2020, 10:51:49 AM
Google's US case count is now showing two giant spikes in July: 141 317 on July 20, and 138 203 on July 27. They weren't there yesterday, and I certainly don't remember them ever being announced. Around that time, we were talking about single-day records of ~77k.

What happened? I swear, those two spikes weren't there yesterday, when I looked.

Hmm, gone again. Musta been a glitch.
I know it's a genus.

jimbogumbo

From CNN:

More people have died from Covid-19 than in the past 5 flu seasons combined

Earlier this morning, President Trump falsely claimed in a tweet that coronavirus is "in most populations far less lethal" than the flu.

More people in the United States have died already from coronavirus than those who died from influenza during the past five flu seasons combined.

Here's a look at the numbers: The first person known to have died from coronavirus in the United States died on Feb. 29, according to Johns Hopkins University. Seven months later, more than 210,000 Americans are dead. Remember, the "typical" flu season runs about 7 months, from October to April.

According to CDC estimates, this is how many Americans have died from the flu in recent seasons:

2019-2020: 22,000 (preliminary)
2018-2019: 34,000 (preliminary)
2017-2018: 61,000 (preliminary)
2016-2017: 38,000
2015-2016: 23,000
2014-2015: 51,000
2013-2014: 38,000
2012-2013: 43,000
2011-2012: 12,000
2010-2011: 37,000
About 178,000 people died in the five flu seasons running from 2015 until 2020, while more than 210,000 people died of coronavirus this year.

nebo113

Attila stopping coronovirus relief negotiations until after the election.

clean

A student asked to reschedule an online exam (scheduled for a few hours in the future) and adds that he has COVID. 
HAD he said, "Ive been throwing up all night",   I would have sent him a 'feel better soon' message and noted that the syllabus does not allow for rescheduling exams, but the final will replace the missed exam" and been done with it.

However, he said "COVID".  That triggers other things.  I had to look up what I am supposed to do.  I understand the policy that I should offer a make up, rather than replace the grade with the final because we dont want to do anything that would entice the infected to engage (even if the exam is online).  I have to submit a university 'qualtrix survey' indicating that the student said the magic word.  I then emailed the student the 'student back to school' guide, noting page 4 outlines that the student must submit another form, and the student's doctor should submit yet another form. (Which means that I had to find, then read/skim the document myself first) I clicked on the link for additional information, and asked what I was required to do.

I got an email reply from academic affairs indicating that I should submit the questionnaire (to report others), send the student the first person question link, and that I could require proof from the student to reschedule the exam.  The student had already offered a doctors note (which I would not have otherwise requested), but as the student offered and AA said I could/should request documentation, I said ok.

I had CCd my chair and from that point, the student replied to all, so she was getting all of the messages. My initial reply to the student included the 'back to school' guide.   I failed to mention earlier that I found the page 4 information, copied it, (then opened the links that did not copy and inserted the internet pages to link to).   So this had already eaten nearly 2 hours of my morning and then I got a call (not an email)  from my chair saying that she had called the deans office, and was told that I was NOT to ask for documentation as it is a privacy issue.  I told her that I was complying with the email from AA!   She asked and I promptly forwarded the AA email.

All of this because a student typed the magic word "COVID".  I really dont want to hear about "COVID" anymore!!  I am tempted to email all of my class es that IF they are unable to complete an exam because they are ill, that the final replace the missed exam, and that they should simply say they are 'not feeling up to taking the test today' and that will save me another 2 hours of my life!!!

(That assumes that the event is now closed and that the dean does not try to make a thing out of this!  To which I will reply, "Why dont you admincritters get together and decide, once and for all, what the actual plan IS so that we can all follow the 'real' plan!) 

So this is my Covid Vent of the day (I hope it is complete)

How does my experience and university plan compare to yours?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

the_geneticist

Quote from: clean on October 06, 2020, 12:50:30 PM
A student asked to reschedule an online exam (scheduled for a few hours in the future) and adds that he has COVID. 
HAD he said, "Ive been throwing up all night",   I would have sent him a 'feel better soon' message and noted that the syllabus does not allow for rescheduling exams, but the final will replace the missed exam" and been done with it.

However, he said "COVID".  That triggers other things.  I had to look up what I am supposed to do.  I understand the policy that I should offer a make up, rather than replace the grade with the final because we dont want to do anything that would entice the infected to engage (even if the exam is online).  I have to submit a university 'qualtrix survey' indicating that the student said the magic word.  I then emailed the student the 'student back to school' guide, noting page 4 outlines that the student must submit another form, and the student's doctor should submit yet another form. (Which means that I had to find, then read/skim the document myself first) I clicked on the link for additional information, and asked what I was required to do.

I got an email reply from academic affairs indicating that I should submit the questionnaire (to report others), send the student the first person question link, and that I could require proof from the student to reschedule the exam.  The student had already offered a doctors note (which I would not have otherwise requested), but as the student offered and AA said I could/should request documentation, I said ok.

I had CCd my chair and from that point, the student replied to all, so she was getting all of the messages. My initial reply to the student included the 'back to school' guide.   I failed to mention earlier that I found the page 4 information, copied it, (then opened the links that did not copy and inserted the internet pages to link to).   So this had already eaten nearly 2 hours of my morning and then I got a call (not an email)  from my chair saying that she had called the deans office, and was told that I was NOT to ask for documentation as it is a privacy issue.  I told her that I was complying with the email from AA!   She asked and I promptly forwarded the AA email.

All of this because a student typed the magic word "COVID".  I really dont want to hear about "COVID" anymore!!  I am tempted to email all of my class es that IF they are unable to complete an exam because they are ill, that the final replace the missed exam, and that they should simply say they are 'not feeling up to taking the test today' and that will save me another 2 hours of my life!!!

(That assumes that the event is now closed and that the dean does not try to make a thing out of this!  To which I will reply, "Why dont you admincritters get together and decide, once and for all, what the actual plan IS so that we can all follow the 'real' plan!) 

Plan? We have no plan. 
My university is working under the assumption that switching to online learning is a way to dodge the issue.

Caracal

I haven't had a student get Covid to my knowledge, but we don't have to do anything like this. Students whether they are on or off campus are required to fill out a form every day asking about symptoms and whether they've been exposed or tested positive. If any of our students are quarantined or positive, I think we would get notified through the dean's office. I don't really understand why

I usually do something similar with make up exams but this semester I've been letting students take the exam late if they tell me in advance.

Vkw10

I'm not happy with many of the plans my university made and is still making, but they did a good job on this one. We are to strongly encourage students to use the CuteName Form, available in university app and university homepage, to self-report COVID-19 symptoms and positive tests. That triggers follow up, which includes test appointments, contact tracing, quarantine instructions, notices to faculty about make up work, etc. We are specifically told not to report it, just remind student to use CuteName Form.

For employees, we have CuteNameForm for self reporting and CuteNameSupervisorForm for supervisor report. I have to report and tell them they can't work until we both get clearance email from HR.

I still get a ton of form emails, with instructions, but at least everyone knows what to do. Most students are using CuteNameForm instead of contacting faculty directly.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

evil_physics_witchcraft

One of the students I told me that hu's prof put two cohort groups together in the lab and did not observe social distancing (had multiple students at a lab table) during an exam. I urged the student to contact the Department Chair. I know who the instructor is, but I don't think it's my place to say anything- or should I? What would you do?

VaticanCameos

In a normal semester, I wouldn't contact the chair, but this is not a normal semester.  If this colleague isn't following social distancing protocols in one class, it is likely that they aren't following it in others.  On my campus, we've seen zero transmission from student to student in socially distanced classrooms and labs, but there has been student to student spread in non-distanced spaces, though some of those were not academic spaces.

the_geneticist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 08, 2020, 07:20:36 PM
One of the students I told me that hu's prof put two cohort groups together in the lab and did not observe social distancing (had multiple students at a lab table) during an exam. I urged the student to contact the Department Chair. I know who the instructor is, but I don't think it's my place to say anything- or should I? What would you do?

Since you didn't see it personally, I'd encourage the students to speak up.  Are the lab tables large enough that the students could possibly be 6 feet apart from each other?