News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

IF they've received the record (since it's usually the desk assistants' job to download that and print it, if needed: if they're on a skeleton crew, there might not BE a desk assistant in at all times, or they might be backed up--but it's still on the doc to find it and read it, really....) and IF they've read it (I had to draw things in my mom's hx to the MD's attention that they should have seen right away, often), yes.

One has to approach these assumptions with a carefully worded, nonchalantly voiced question so as not to come across as judgmental, yet get the point across. 

Not that one doesn't, normally, anyway, but in abnormal times, especially so.

But all that said, yes, I'd explore those options further as well.

<<....Grumbling on your behalf...>>

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Caracal

Quote from: RatGuy on December 14, 2020, 12:27:47 PM
I've been known to get sinus infections around this time of year, for all the normal reasons people get sinus infections.

I go to the faculty clinic for treatment (and to rule out strep). I take a COVID test to enter the building. Fine, it's negative. Nurse does the pre-exam, I list my symptoms and say "it's a sinus infection, but I'd like to make sure it's not strep." When the doctor comes in, she says "It says here that you think you have a sinus infection. Well, it's probably COVID."

"I just took a test. Negative. I get sinus infections this time of year."

"A negative test doesn't mean much. Your symptoms of congestion and sore throat point to COVID."

"OK, but I've got no fever, cough, fatigue, or any of those other things. I'm pretty familiar with how my body does sinus infections."

"I'm pretty sure it's COVID, but I guess I'll examine you." She looks briefly in my ears, and even more briefly in my throat. "Yeah, it's COVID." Then she enters my info into the COVID protocol for the university, tells me to take plenty of fluids and get rest. Won't give me antibiotics because "They don't help covid."

So my covid caseworker notifies my department chair, who then emails me to say "You can't come to campus." I've since been tested again (negative) and been allowed back after the 10 day period. But those nasal swabs are bad in the best of times -- guess how it feels with a swollen and tender sinus?

There's a reason that zero cases have been traced to classrooms this semester, but it also means I'm still dealing with this dang sinus infection.

Ugh, its maddening when the people who are supposed to be the professionals clearly have no idea what they are talking about. Over the last 3 months, my wife has taken there COVID tests for congestion/sore throat and I've taken one, and they've all been negative. Cleared up quickly or didn't progress to anything else. I can understand the argument for keeping you away from school out of an abundance of caution, but there's just no reason to think someone with those symptoms and a negative test is likely to have Covid.

apl68

Contact tracing among our library staff has indicated that none of us have been in close contact in recent days with the staff member whose husband has tested positive.  It looks like we'll be able to remain in operation--minus the quarantined staff member, of course.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

pigou

Quote from: kaysixteen on December 14, 2020, 04:58:04 PM
Interesting-- what would you all do in this sort of circumstances?   How could one go about forcing the doc/ nurse to give you the swab culture test for an actual sinus infection, so you could get antibiotics?   This would be especially true for one who has a history of getting such infections, which should of course also be in one's record?
"Look, I have a PhD and I'm telling you, this is a sinus infection. I need you to do your job and run this swab, and I'm not leaving until you do it."

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and sounding like an entitled ass is a good way to get across that you'll cause them more work and annoyance if you don't get what you want, so that it's just easier on them to do the swab and get it over with.

nebo113

Quote from: pigou on December 15, 2020, 05:10:03 PM
Quote from: kaysixteen on December 14, 2020, 04:58:04 PM
Interesting-- what would you all do in this sort of circumstances?   How could one go about forcing the doc/ nurse to give you the swab culture test for an actual sinus infection, so you could get antibiotics?   This would be especially true for one who has a history of getting such infections, which should of course also be in one's record?
"Look, I have a PhD and I'm telling you, this is a sinus infection. I need you to do your job and run this swab, and I'm not leaving until you do it."

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and sounding like an entitled ass is a good way to get across that you'll cause them more work and annoyance if you don't get what you want, so that it's just easier on them to do the swab and get it over with.

I'm Dr. Jane Smith; give me the damn test (channeling Dr. Jill Biden).

spork

My brother's wife tested positive for coronavirus. The family is now quarantined, trying to minimize contact with each other. At my mother's retirement home, one resident tested positive on Friday. Now there are a total of three confirmed cases and several other people are symptomatic. All residents and employees are getting tested tomorrow.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

nebo113

Quote from: spork on December 20, 2020, 04:10:36 PM
My brother's wife tested positive for coronavirus. The family is now quarantined, trying to minimize contact with each other. At my mother's retirement home, one resident tested positive on Friday. Now there are a total of three confirmed cases and several other people are symptomatic. All residents and employees are getting tested tomorrow.

Sounds similar to my family.  Dumbass brother in law was infected but sister took stringent measures and has tested negative twice.  Mother's retirement community (independent living but with lots of frail residents) has been restricting visitors since last spring and became even stricter the last few months.  They went into lockdown, closed the dining room, etc., after a couple who attended a funeral (see the irony) tested positive, and tested all residents, finding one more positive person.  After two weeks of lockdown, dining room now open and residents can mingle.  Mother is now with me in Winter Quarters until the New Year, for a change of scenery.

apl68

Our City Council continues to meet each month in the library's community room.  They're the only ones who've been using it since March.  The room doesn't have enough room for social distancing for everybody at those meetings, what with the Council itself, the Mayor, all the city department heads, the secretary, the local news reporter, and any spectators.  I've been having this nightmare scenario of everybody ending up quarantined in one fell swoop.

I talked it over with the Mayor, and we came up with an alternative plan that would let them all spread out in the main area of the building (This would be in the evening, when we didn't have regular patrons around).  She was concerned about making sure that the annual budget passed at this meeting, and decided not to add to the challenges by changing up the venue after all.

So, last night they held the meeting as usual.  Masked--the Mayor has been setting a good example there--but not socially distanced.  Once again I'm hoping that a City Council meeting doesn't turn out to be a super-spreading event.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

The hamartia of the powerful--and it is worse with those who only have tiny bits of power....

Sorry you're having to deal with a bunch of kiddies who are forcing you to be the adult in the room.

And will have to deal with the fallout, if any occurs, as well.

Grrrrrrr.....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

I've never been more glad that as city librarian I'm not important enough to be required to be at all Council meetings!

We've been keeping in touch with the staff member whose husband tested positive.  He's getting ready to go back to work now, but she and their two grown daughters who are living with them (One still in college) have now all tested positive.  Their symptoms have been mild.  They've found that sitting out in the sun in the mild weather we've been having yesterday and today has made them feel better.

apl68

The last week or so we've had a lot of stories about libraries in the state paper.  A city council member in a hard-hit city has made noises about cutting their library's budget if they don't open more fully.  Another librarian has gotten into trouble for trying to work remotely--as in from three states away.  To me that does sound like a little too much of an ask.  And the largest public library in the state has lost $160,000 in parking lot revenue this year, thanks to fewer people coming in since March (I thought the lot looked awfully sparse when I last visited). 

spork

There are now a dozen confirmed coronavirus cases at my mother's retirement home. One of them is my mother. She has had a sore throat since the weekend but no cough, fever, or other symptoms. All the other residents who tested positive also have only mild symptoms.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

jimbogumbo

I am so sorry Spork!

mamselle

Quote from: spork on December 23, 2020, 09:38:29 AM
There are now a dozen confirmed coronavirus cases at my mother's retirement home. One of them is my mother. She has had a sore throat since the weekend but no cough, fever, or other symptoms. All the other residents who tested positive also have only mild symptoms.

Oh, no.

Thinking of you both.

M.

Morden

I am so sorry Spork.