News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Our positivity rate has jumped to over 16% and we had almost 6,500 'confirmed' cases today. Looks like we're headed into another peak. :(

dismalist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 03, 2021, 04:00:40 PM
Our positivity rate has jumped to over 16% and we had almost 6,500 'confirmed' cases today. Looks like we're headed into another peak. :(

Before panic breaks out, is that 16% of those tested? Who gets themselves tested? To cut through it all, are the 6500 confirmed cases a flow of new cases, or stock? And, what is the size of the population being referred to? And what is the death rate for Covid in the relevant population?

On an up-beat note, it seems the gamblers who eschewed  having themselves vaccinated are reassessing their decisions on account of worse odds, and are getting vaccinated at a higher rate. All as to be expected.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: dismalist on August 03, 2021, 04:15:16 PM

Before panic breaks out, is that 16% of those tested? Who gets themselves tested? To cut through it all, are the 6500 confirmed cases a flow of new cases, or stock? And, what is the size of the population being referred to? And what is the death rate for Covid in the relevant population?

On an up-beat note, it seems the gamblers who eschewed  having themselves vaccinated are reassessing their decisions on account of worse odds, and are getting vaccinated at a higher rate. All as to be expected.

It's always a percentage of those who are tested. I know that not everyone will get tested, so the numbers could be under reported. We were doing so well, then, well, shit happened.

apl68

Our state lost 40 people to COVID yesterday.  It didn't have to happen.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

pgher

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 03, 2021, 04:42:31 PM

It's always a percentage of those who are tested. I know that not everyone will get tested, so the numbers could be under reported. We were doing so well, then, well, shit happened.

Our local hospital's positivity rate jumped from 16.8% to 48.8%!!! Granted, it's just the hospitalized population, but still that seems excessive.

mamselle

That's serious because that probably means nearly half of all admissions are Covid-related, taken from the total drawing population. It also suggests there are more infections being looked after at home, with unwilling or unknowing individuals and their family members not self-identifying.

There may be some iatrogenic contractions, but probably not enough for that much of a jump.

And for those that are serious, that means ICU/CCU beds, equipment, and personnel are under high-stress levels, to say nothing of blood supplies, PPE, and anti-febrile meds, just for starters.

Yikes.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

Again, before panic sets in, it is well to note that the Delta variant surge in the UK is abating rapidly. Here is a very thoughtful article on possible causes and lessons

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2021/08/the-u-k-s-delta-surge-is-collapsing-will-ours.html
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

clean

My area has the largest number in the hospital with Covid that i have seen.  We have breached 210 in the hospital with over 50 in the ICU. 

This county and the surrounding ones have asked the guv to declare an emergency. We still have some beds, but no qualified people to man them!  the big cities around are also pretty well full up!

I went to the grocery store today and I noticed more, but still too few masks!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

apl68

Vaccination rates are now surging in our state, so the COVID surge is getting people's attention.  Unfortunately it's going to be a while before we get past this current surge of cases.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

spork

Quote from: dismalist on August 04, 2021, 09:45:23 AM
Again, before panic sets in, it is well to note that the Delta variant surge in the UK is abating rapidly. Here is a very thoughtful article on possible causes and lessons

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2021/08/the-u-k-s-delta-surge-is-collapsing-will-ours.html

"at one point in January, 26 of 28 models collected by the CDC to project the near-term future of the pandemic failed to include what proved to be the ultimate course of the disease, just two weeks later, in their range of what was considered possible."

CDC needs to be using better models.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mamselle

And stop interpreting what they do have with a mind to people-pleasing all the time.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

pgher

Quote from: pgher on August 04, 2021, 07:43:36 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 03, 2021, 04:42:31 PM

Our local hospital's positivity rate jumped from 16.8% to 48.8%!!! Granted, it's just the hospitalized population, but still that seems excessive.

Their positivity rate increased again this week (though not much), plus drug stores are out of testing supplies. Dear Lord.

fishbrains

Teaching dual enrollment in the local high school. I'd guess about 3-5% of students, teachers, and staff are wearing masks. Our vaccination rate is in the 50% range for the county.

This odd little experiment continues, I guess.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

ab_grp

Daughter's first day back at high school, and already an email from the school to notify us of a positive COVID case.  Off to a great start! Our county's been back in the high risk zone for a week, so I guess it's no real surprise.

Langue_doc

Transmission levels are high in all five boroughs, Westchester county, and both counties in Long Island. People are not only walking around as though the pandemic is over but also having long conversations on their phones in the subway, unmasked, naturally.