News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Quote from: Langue_doc on August 13, 2021, 06:51:02 AM
The CDC and states that in the past took preventive measures against the virus now seem to have left it up to the individuals to take the necessary precautions. NYC
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/interactive/2021/vaccinated-counties-delta-hotspots/?itid=hp_pandemic

NYC has yet to address the rising number of cases despite all the noises coming out of City Hall on totally unrelated matters.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/nyc-transmission-rates-skyrocket-as-delta-hits-90-of-covid-cases/3219682/

An interesting article on Cuomo and the NYC mayor's office in a recent New Yorker adds to the flavorful mix....(will find citation after I teach).

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Leaders in MD's House of Delegates are asking Gov. Hogan to extend the public health emergency:
https://wtop.com/maryland/2021/08/md-house-leaders-urge-hogan-to-extend-public-health-emergency/
Posted on WTOP Radio (8/13/21)

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on August 13, 2021, 12:16:44 PM
Quote from: Langue_doc on August 13, 2021, 06:51:02 AM
The CDC and states that in the past took preventive measures against the virus now seem to have left it up to the individuals to take the necessary precautions. NYC
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/interactive/2021/vaccinated-counties-delta-hotspots/?itid=hp_pandemic

NYC has yet to address the rising number of cases despite all the noises coming out of City Hall on totally unrelated matters.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/nyc-transmission-rates-skyrocket-as-delta-hits-90-of-covid-cases/3219682/

An interesting article on Cuomo and the NYC mayor's office in a recent New Yorker adds to the flavorful mix....(will find citation after I teach).

M.

None of these were the ones I was referring to, but they're instructive:

https://www.newyorker.com/tag/andrew-cuomo

This was the slightly more anodyne piece from a while ago, before the simmering pot came to a boil:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/10/19/andrew-cuomo-the-king-of-new-york

Sic transit...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

We are now up to a million cases. Still no guidelines from the city and no enforcement of the mandatory mask policy on public transportation.

https://gothamist.com/news/nyc-passes-1-million-covid-cases

mamselle

I'm sorry to hear that.

The other day on the bus, the driver gave three teen-aged girls masks from his own stash so they could ride and not walk; this system (smaller than yours, probably) is enforcing the masking rules fairly stringently.

I thanked him when I got off, both for taking the masking rules seriously and for helping the kids out.

He could legitimately have just made them get off.

M.

the_geneticist

Nurses at the local hospital are protesting against the "get vaccinated if you work with patients" mandate.  Seriously!?!
1. You were in the FIRST group offered the vaccine. 
2. If you don't believe that vaccines save lives, then you are in the wrong line of work.
3. You have seen people die of COVID.  You know it's not painless or peaceful.
4. If I go to the hospital I am trusting that you are providing quality care and that you aren't a virus factory.

You are not "heroes" for doing your d@mn job.  Especially if you are insisting on risking the lives of OTHER PEOPLE in the name of your so-called "health freedom".
You are free to get a different job.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We had over 14,000 cases today, which I think is the highest we've ever had since this all started. Yay. We're winning!

clean

Who is "We"?

My county had over 550 new cases today. We  now have over 350 in the hospital and 100 of those are in the ICU. 

I dont remember our hospital numbers being that high! 
For perspective, six weeks ago, there were less than 25 in the hospital and less than 9 of those in the ICU. 

Now I am watching one named storm in going inland today and TS Grace may be in the gulf next weekend (though it is looking to move to Mexico now).  Imagine having to evacuate with COVID as it is?  Large cities in my state are noting that the hospitals are full!  (Do not get sick!!)

Returning to Covid... IF someone DID get sick... heart attack, stroke, pulmonary embolism or other near fatal condition... should those people have priority over the ICU beds than those that CHOSE NOT to vaccinate?

My employer is requiring that all faculty, staff and students get tested in the first 3 weeks of class.  My questions included "What then?  IF they DONT get tested, THEN WHAT?"  (Last year, there was some online something that they had to complete, but when they didnt, the university removed them from all classes!!  A huge pain in the ass to have them removed from Blackboard, unable to email them, unable to grade their work....  Not thought through!

Another faculty member today asks, "What is the point?  IF they find that you are not positive on day one, what prevents you from being positive on day 3?"

Faculty are told that IF positive, then, if they are well enough, that they can lecture from home, otherwise, another faculty member is supposed to teach their classes!!  My immediate response is that IF I AM positive, then By Default!  I am too sick to teach on campus OR at home!  I have at least 6 months of sick pay I will never see!  here is my chance!!

Im sure I wont test as positive, at least this first time through.  Perhaps after I am forced to be on campus more as the term starts, but not after being isolated so well for so long. 

Anyway, I wish everyone the best of luck and I hope that you stay safe and healthy!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

pgher

Quote from: clean on August 16, 2021, 04:24:51 PM
Returning to Covid... IF someone DID get sick... heart attack, stroke, pulmonary embolism or other near fatal condition... should those people have priority over the ICU beds than those that CHOSE NOT to vaccinate?

This is one of the best arguments in favor of vaccination. Remember when we were trying to "flatten the curve"? The whole point is to reduce the load on the hospitals so that they have capacity to deal with something else.

A colleague's sibling passed away Saturday from COVID. Really brought it home. I was struggling to find empathy and my kid helped. They described the unvaccinated as double victims: victims of COVID and victims of misinformation (or disinformation). There are people and groups out there who are actively feeding an anti-vax hysteria for reasons of their own--maybe political power, maybe TV ratings or Internet clicks. People like my colleague's sibling pay the price.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on August 16, 2021, 04:24:51 PM
Who is "We"?

My county had over 550 new cases today. We  now have over 350 in the hospital and 100 of those are in the ICU. 

I was being sarcastic. There are so many misinformed people here (and in my family) who do not trust vaccines and so remain unvaccinated. We had around 200 cases today.

clean

QuoteWe had over 14,000 cases today, which I think is the highest we've ever had since this all started. Yay. We're winning!

QuoteI was being sarcastic. There are so many misinformed people here (and in my family) who do not trust vaccines and so remain unvaccinated. We had around 200 cases today.

I understand.... It is hard to say out loud...   BUT sometimes I want to 'change sides'  and root for the virus!  IF you are TEAM VIRUS, then at the moment, You ARE WINNING!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

quasihumanist

Quote from: clean on August 16, 2021, 06:23:49 PM
QuoteWe had over 14,000 cases today, which I think is the highest we've ever had since this all started. Yay. We're winning!

QuoteI was being sarcastic. There are so many misinformed people here (and in my family) who do not trust vaccines and so remain unvaccinated. We had around 200 cases today.

I understand.... It is hard to say out loud...   BUT sometimes I want to 'change sides'  and root for the virus!  IF you are TEAM VIRUS, then at the moment, You ARE WINNING!!

There really are some folks around who think that Covid is God's punishment on the wicked, and we should spread the virus as much as possible so that God can then use it to save the elect and kill the reprobate.

niwon88

Quote from: quasihumanist on August 16, 2021, 07:56:41 PM
There really are some folks around who think that Covid is God's punishment on the wicked, and we should spread the virus as much as possible so that God can then use it to save the elect and kill the reprobate.

LOL I have some ultra religious family members who believe that COVID-19 is a divine punishment that we deserve and are refusing to vaccinate too. We underestimate the influence of religion too.

mamselle

I've been impressed with the number of towns in my area that had specifically reached out to churches, synagogues, and mosques to recruit them as vaccination sites for just the purpose of allaying those arguments.

It seems to have been quite effective, there are usually 5 or 6 sites listed on each of the town emails I follow (three in my area) and I've heard of others.

Obviously there are 'flavors' of belief within denominational structures that may or may not join in on this effort (as I know from working with them directly in many different settings), but several interfaith groups in the area are likewise supporting it (one might have even suggested it).

Religious leaders who do support sane public policy are good to have around.

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Talked to one of my students yesterday who hasn't been vaccinated yet because 'people get vaccinated and then still get sick.' Um, a very small percentage of people have 'breakthrough' infections. Just like the flu shot (and other vaccines), there is no 100% guarantee. Shaking my damn head.