Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Coronavirus?

Started by Cheerful, February 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spork

Quote from: Puget on April 23, 2021, 10:42:47 AM
Quote from: spork on April 23, 2021, 10:17:47 AM
Our campus is basically shutting down, because of a post-Easter holiday outbreak of cases. Final exams start soon, so any faculty member who didn't plan on take-home/online exams is screwed. (I am not sympathetic.)

And that's why we didn't have spring break here! We've had zero positive tests in the past week, one the week before. And this week everyone gets vaccinated on campus (just got back from mine).

We didn't have spring break either.

I think there is some clause in the dorm and meal plan contracts that students signed that says no refunds will be issued once week X in the semester has been completed -- and as of today we've hit the end of week X.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

smallcleanrat

Tucker Carlson: We should start asking people to stop wearing masks outside, it makes us uncomfortable
If you burned an American flag in public, Dems would Applaud; If you burned masks, they would be upset
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-we-should-start-asking-people-to-stop-wearing-masks-outside-it-makes-us-uncomfortable

From the article:
The next time you see someone in a mask on the sidewalk or the bike path, don't hesitate. Ask politely but firmly: "would you please take off your mask? Science shows there is no reason to wear it. Your mask is making me uncomfortable." We should do that, and we should keep doing it, until wearing a mask outdoors is roughly as socially accepted as lighting a Marlboro in an elevator. It's repulsive. Don't do it around other people. That's the message we should send because it's true.

As for forcing children to wear masks outside - it should be illegal. Your response when you see children wearing masks as they play should be no different than your response to seeing someone beat a child in Walmart: call the police immediately. Contact child protective services. Keep calling until someone arrives. What you're seeing is abuse. It's child abuse, and you're morally obligated to try to prevent it. If it's your own children being abused, act accordingly. Let's say your kids' school emailed to announce that every day after lunch, your sixth-grader was going to be punched in the face by a teacher. How would you respond to that? That's precisely how you should respond Think about it. That's precisely how you should respond when they tell you that your children have to wear masks on the soccer field. That is unacceptable, it's dangerous, and we should act like it. Because it is.

Is this sarcasm, hype to boost ratings, or a sincere opinion?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: smallcleanrat on April 27, 2021, 06:26:50 AM
Tucker Carlson: We should start asking people to stop wearing masks outside, it makes us uncomfortable
If you burned an American flag in public, Dems would Applaud; If you burned masks, they would be upset
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-we-should-start-asking-people-to-stop-wearing-masks-outside-it-makes-us-uncomfortable

From the article:
The next time you see someone in a mask on the sidewalk or the bike path, don't hesitate. Ask politely but firmly: "would you please take off your mask? Science shows there is no reason to wear it. Your mask is making me uncomfortable." We should do that, and we should keep doing it, until wearing a mask outdoors is roughly as socially accepted as lighting a Marlboro in an elevator. It's repulsive. Don't do it around other people. That's the message we should send because it's true.

As for forcing children to wear masks outside - it should be illegal. Your response when you see children wearing masks as they play should be no different than your response to seeing someone beat a child in Walmart: call the police immediately. Contact child protective services. Keep calling until someone arrives. What you're seeing is abuse. It's child abuse, and you're morally obligated to try to prevent it. If it's your own children being abused, act accordingly. Let's say your kids' school emailed to announce that every day after lunch, your sixth-grader was going to be punched in the face by a teacher. How would you respond to that? That's precisely how you should respond Think about it. That's precisely how you should respond when they tell you that your children have to wear masks on the soccer field. That is unacceptable, it's dangerous, and we should act like it. Because it is.

Is this sarcasm, hype to boost ratings, or a sincere opinion?

Excuse my language, but he is a twat.

IMHO, he's trying to rile people up and manipulate them into feeling deceived and controlled. Is he providing sources that support his claims from actual scientists? Doubt it.

Hegemony

Asking anyone to change any aspect of their clothing because it makes you uncomfortable — well, that's so normal, right?  That would get such a good response, right? "Excuse me, the blue on your shirt does not match the blue on your pants and that makes me uncomfortable, could you make sure that never happens again?" "Excuse me, your man bun makes me uncomfortable, could you change your hair?" "Hey you, I hate those shoes, take those off right now." "You have no need for a jacket that heavy in this weather, that makes me uncomfortable, so take it off, okay?" I can just imagine what kind of response those would get.

The despicable thing is that he's ginning people up to be actively hostile towards people whose actions — wearing a face mask — are completely harmless toward others, even if you were to regard them as useless and misguided (which I do not). He's fanning the flames of animosity at a time when we have way too much division and animosity already. I think he's pathological and a menace.

ergative

Quote from: Hegemony on April 28, 2021, 01:24:33 AM
Asking anyone to change any aspect of their clothing because it makes you uncomfortable — well, that's so normal, right?  That would get such a good response, right?

I mean, that's exactly the logic behind 'tank tops are distracting to boys.'

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ergative on April 28, 2021, 02:21:56 AM
Asking anyone to change any aspect of their clothing because it makes you uncomfortable — well, that's so normal, right?  That would get such a good response, right?

Exactly. Blame someone else to avoid taking responsibility for your own actions. And everything that Hegemony said ^. 

It is gobsmacking to read and watch some of these people fight so hard against wearing a mask. You'd think someone asked them to run around naked with lit fireworks up their arses while being mauled by rabid and highly-caffeinated chihuahuas.

I mean- really? Really? If there is even a 10% chance that wearing a damn mask will help keep you and the rest of the people around you healthy, while in a pandemic, then why not wear it? Our country really doesn't value public health, or even recognize it as something that needs attention. It's like every person for his/herself.

waterboy

I find it bewildering that folks state that their freedom has been taken away by wearing a mask?  Exactly what freedoms has a mask kept you from?
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

arcturus

Oh, I know where this is going!!!  If only the vaccinated can appear without a mask, being maskless is the equivalent to being vaccinated. Therefore, we are now going to have to show our vaccination cards to do things. It is government overreach to allow people to be mask-less!  And government overreach to force people to wear a mask! So, it is government overreach all ways every day! Oh, the humanity! [Cue scary music here].

Caracal

Asking anyone to change any aspect of their clothing because it makes you uncomfortable — well, that's so normal, right?  That would get such a good response, right? "Excuse me, the blue on your shirt does not match the blue on your pants and that makes me uncomfortable, could you make sure that never happens again?" "Excuse me, your man bun makes me uncomfortable, could you change your hair?" "Hey you, I hate those shoes, take those off right now." "You have no need for a jacket that heavy in this weather, that makes me uncomfortable, so take it off, okay?" I can just imagine what kind of response those would get.

The despicable thing is that he's ginning people up to be actively hostile towards people whose actions — wearing a face mask — are completely harmless toward others, even if you were to regard them as useless and misguided (which I do not). He's fanning the flames of animosity at a time when we have way too much division and animosity already. I think he's pathological and a menace.

Yeah. I mostly don't wear masks outdoors in areas where I can maintain distance from other people. But as you say, it's bizarre to care if other people do something different. I find masks unpleasant to wear-that doesn't keep me from wearing them when it is appropriate-but if I'm somewhere where there's no risk I'm going to take it off. However, I know people who really don't mind wearing masks. My wife liked them in the winter because they kept her face warm. I often see people in their car alone with a mask on. Not something I would do, but I assume those are people who just really don't find the mask uncomfortable and find it easier to leave it on. Who cares?

Hegemony

Quote from: ergative on April 28, 2021, 02:21:56 AM

I don't agree with attempts to ban tank tops, but it is true that overly sexualized clothing can be distracting. If a guy came to class wearing nothing but a tiny tight Speedo, I think everyone would be distracted. But whether in the Speedo case or in the problematic tank top case, or even in the case of a school pupil who shows up in the wrong uniform, the person trying to enforce the dress code is in an agreed position of authority. They're not a random person walking up to somebody and grousing "I hate your outfit! You have to change your outfit!" We don't suddenly get to start levying in-your-face personal judgments on strangers.

Cheerful

Quote from: Caracal on April 28, 2021, 07:48:18 AM
I often see people in their car alone with a mask on. Not something I would do, but I assume those are people who just really don't find the mask uncomfortable and find it easier to leave it on. Who cares?

I do this.  Why?  Because when running errands, I want to put the mask on once and be done with it.  I don't want to fiddle with it, handle it a lot, have it tossed around getting dirty, or touch my face a bunch of times.

p.s. I hate masks but wear one whenever I may encounter another person.

Cheerful

Quote from: waterboy on April 28, 2021, 06:33:10 AM
I find it bewildering that folks state that their freedom has been taken away by wearing a mask?  Exactly what freedoms has a mask kept you from?

I hate masks but am more pro-mask-wearing than many.  Yes, Tucker is sowing division again.  Provoking and maintaining social tensions are apparently FoxNews and CNN missions.

I understand people's mask fatigue.  Masks are unpleasant, a constant reminder of ugly Covid.  Little kids shouldn't have to wear masks outside.  Kids need social development.  Not seeing people's smiles and expressions can't be good.

CDC's messaging has been a mess, losing credibility by the day. The days-long build-up to the outdoor mask announcement:  "coming soon, big news on masks!"  Really?  A carrot if you get vaccinated?  Patronizing.

I used to think CDC was some great, protective, scientific, reliable, professional entity.  Instead it's been messy, patronizing, and political (even unethical) in the last year, under R and D leaders.  CDC website messaging is also messy.

hmaria1609

hmaria1609

Mayor Bowser issued a correction about masks over the weekend:
https://wtop.com/dc/2021/05/dc-coronavirus-update-may-3/
From WTOP Radio (5/3/21)

hmaria1609

Headline news for DC today:
https://wtop.com/dc/2021/05/dc-coronavirus-update-may-10/
You can click on the graphic chart to enlarge. The Mayor's announcement is similar to what MD and VA will be doing in the coming days and weeks.