Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

Quote from: smallcleanrat on May 05, 2021, 01:42:43 PM
Why oh why do cats dash away like that?

I'm pretty sure Maestro is not scared of me, but he often stares at me with intense, wide eyes. If I make a move to approach him, he dashes away, often with a warbly "Waaah!"

Why?!?

I think *sometimes* he wants me to chase him around for play, but I don't that that's true every time. He knows I love to smother him with affection; sometimes he's in the mood for it, sometimes not. Is he running from the possibility of snuggles?

I appeal to the collective cat wisdom of the fora.

Why cats do anything is a mystery, but mine certainly initiate chasing/co-zooming with each other like this, so I'd go for probably he wants to play. The play running involves a lot of zipping in loops around the house and/or full out up and down the stairs, ending with flopping over wherever they run out of steam. That behavior looks very different from scared running away, where they head straight for a safe hiding spot and go to ground.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

He thinks you're a big cat, and you want to play, too...

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

So, elder evil cat likes to drag one of his blankets around the house. We've noticed, in the past few years, that he also starts to hump it AND make biscuits while yowling with part of the blanket in his mouth. Does anyone else have a cat that does this?

Is my cat broken???

clean

QuoteSo, elder evil cat likes to drag one of his blankets around the house. We've noticed, in the past few years, that he also starts to hump it AND make biscuits while yowling with part of the blanket in his mouth. Does anyone else have a cat that does this?

Is my cat broken???

Perhaps your kitty has created some sort of adult kitty inflatable?
Im not sure if he is broken, but this may signal that he could be 'fixed'.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on May 06, 2021, 07:07:46 PM
QuoteSo, elder evil cat likes to drag one of his blankets around the house. We've noticed, in the past few years, that he also starts to hump it AND make biscuits while yowling with part of the blanket in his mouth. Does anyone else have a cat that does this?

Is my cat broken???

:)

Oh, he was fixed a long time ago. He's a randy 15 year old senior cat.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 06, 2021, 07:56:39 PM

Is my cat broken???

2nd kittenhood? Did he carry around a plushy as a kitten?
Did something change in the household before he started to do this, so he needed a new comfort behavior?
Or, perhaps, just another example of the mystery of cats.

the_geneticist

Quote from: OneMoreYear on May 07, 2021, 02:01:47 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 06, 2021, 07:56:39 PM

Is my cat broken???

2nd kittenhood? Did he carry around a plushy as a kitten?
Did something change in the household before he started to do this, so he needed a new comfort behavior?
Or, perhaps, just another example of the mystery of cats.
Effie the cat (male cat) used to do that - the kneading, humping, and vocalizing on a particular pillow.
Sir Puck is now imitating that behavior, but he only does it on my lap when I wear certain skirts.  He purrs and slobbers too.

mamselle

After my (neutered, I thought) young male cat continued to "anoint" my old tube amplifier (shorting it out, finally), I asked the vet how that could happen.

"Actually," the vet said, "sometimes the little tiny bits of the plumbing are so small the surgeon misses something and their systems still produce hormones. They're no longer fertile, or a danger to the ladies, but certain instincts don't go as completely extinct as you'd expect..."

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

smallcleanrat

Maestro is neutered, but I still occasionally walk in on him late at night with the teddy bear he's had since he was a kitten. The bear is roughly the size of adult Maestro. Maestro always turns it facedown, grabs the back of its head with his teeth and makes slow, sweet love to it.

He always seems self-conscious when we walk in on him, as though this is not an act meant for the eyes of humans. He'll drop the bear and walk away, leaving the poor toy face-down and all alone.

Apart from these intimate nighttime sessions, Maestro wants nothing to do with his bear. He no longer plays with it or snuggles against it as he did when he was a kitten. If we try to encourage him to play with the bear he will bat it away, almost contemptuously. I feel a bit sorry for it; it's fallen so far from favor. The stuffed fish is the only toy worthy of Maestro's enduring affection. The teddy bear has been relegated to a life of neglect, enlivened only by the occasional booty call.

mamselle

You could write an adult novel about Maestro.

Maybe even a graphic novel....

(Mostly kidding, although it's something you might get Wendy Snow to consider...)

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on May 08, 2021, 04:22:45 AM
You could write an adult novel about Maestro.

Maybe even a graphic novel....

(Mostly kidding, although it's something you might get Wendy Snow to consider...)

M.

Oh Lord! This made me chuckle.

AvidReader

Poor teddy bear, but your depiction of it is hilarious!

AR.

clean

Maybe the bear needs some make up?

Perhaps rub it with cat nip (or some tuna juice behind the ears).

(Tangent....

I used to teach classes for the local Bankruptcy Trustee.  I told this story as part of the class.

" A husband and wife are discussing the budget. The husband thinks that the wife is spending too much on make up and the wife complains that the husband spends too much on beer.  The wife says, "I buy make up for our love life- so that I look attractive to you".  The husband replies, "That's what the beer is for!"

Maybe there is something that the bear needs... either kitty make up or kitty beer!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

AvidReader

It's pouring rain here today, so Artemis has been allowed to curl up indoors on a chair by my desk and is snoring contentedly as I grade--and she really does snore! Hestia was given the same offer but did not want to stay on the chair, so has found herself a dry spot outdoors.

AR.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Youngest evil cat has decided to pause in her destruction of the Universe and sit on the electric blanket with me.