News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fora Nostalgia

Started by bacardiandlime, June 01, 2020, 02:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

I believe Zharkov is still around and about...maybe awhile ago I heard from him.

I also miss D.v.F.

He was a good character in both senses of the words.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Remember this one: "Hey barkeep! I need a new recipe."

fourhats

I know you mentioned Pry, but she was my hands down favorite. The saga of her love life, her wry take on academia. I stayed engaged with the fora for years because of her. It broke my heart when her son came on to tell everyone that she'd passed away.

citrine

Hi! Thanks for asking about Nephew and me.

Nephew is 11 (12 in September) and just finished his first year of middle school (sixth grade around here), where he made honor roll for three quarters (before the pandemic happened and his school abandoned that grading schema temporarily). His teachers told me that he was creative and respectful and enthusiastic about learning, which made me wonder just what child was getting off the bus and coming home to me at certain points... Pre-pandemic, he started volunteering at the shelter in their Junior Volunteers program and immediately wanted to take home all the animals. He is almost as tall as I am and is pretty sure that he wants to be an engineer of some sort. He is a great kid 90% of the time and then 10% of the time he's displaying age appropriate but annoying behaviors and I roll my eyes behind his back and remind myself to thank my parents for putting up with me at that age. He now has a little half-sister who is two and a half and also being raised by her extended family on her mom's side.

I am doing okay given the interesting times that we're living in. Still chairing our Academic Integrity Board, still teaching the same courses, still enjoying my job and grateful to have it.

bacardiandlime

Another classic: Drunken, Angry TA

The CHE site says they are shutting and archiving on July 1? (or is that note from last year?)

ScaredAdjunct

Quote from: bacardiandlime on June 20, 2020, 08:41:19 AM

The CHE site says they are shutting and archiving on July 1? (or is that note from last year?)
Same question, plus, does that mean I will be able to still read everything after July 1, i.e., what's the difference between now and post-archival period then)?
Sincerely,
Scared Adjunct

scaredadjunct on Twitter

polly_mer

Quote from: ScaredAdjunct on June 20, 2020, 09:00:24 AM

Same question, plus, does that mean I will be able to still read everything after July 1, i.e., what's the difference between now and post-archival period then)?

That's the same wording as last year's note and I've not seen any change in that note over the past year during the handful of times I've ended up on the old fora for something.

Thus, I don't think anything changes this 1 July.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

bacardiandlime

Quote from: polly_mer on June 20, 2020, 09:55:34 AM
Quote from: ScaredAdjunct on June 20, 2020, 09:00:24 AM

That's the same wording as last year's note and I've not seen any change in that note over the past year during the handful of times I've ended up on the old fora for something.

Thus, I don't think anything changes this 1 July.

They seem to have shut it down. I tried googling for an old thread and got a page saying the forums are gone, and suggesting people come here.

mamselle

Yeah.

I saw it, too.

I started a discussion on it, efforts are in progress.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.